Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have the June 1963 "Numismatic Scrapbook" magazine ?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone does, I'd like to get a copy of the article about Eastman Johnson. This is for research purposes.

Thanks!
:)

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure would be nice if the parent company of Coin World would let the Scrapbooks be digitized. Lot of good stuff in there.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

They are already digitized and ready to go -- except Amos Media (CW) won't allow it. There are a bunch of excellent articles by R W Julian that are completely inaccessible, thanks to that policy.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    They are already digitized and ready to go -- except Amos Media (CW) won't allow it. There are a bunch of excellent articles by R W Julian that are completely inaccessible, thanks to that policy.

Well I'm sure Amos is making a ton of money from the old Scrapbooks, so it's easy to see why they wouldn't release them.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 9:05PM

I purchased the May '62 a while back to get this article but that's the only issue I have. They are relatively inexpensive on eBay.

This article was published in 1962 and we still don't know what this piece is, though there is some feeling it may be related to the GM Roller Press patterns :o

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 9:12PM

@RogerB said:
    Anyone have the June 1963 "Numismatic Scrapbook" magazine ?

The June 1963 issue is available as part of a pair for just $14.95 right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-2-Vintage-Numismatic-Scrapbook-Money-Collecting-1962-1963-Indians-Lincolns/312185577410

• Options

@RogerB said:

That might be understandable.

After all, I've been saying I'm ready to purchase digital copies of your books, but they are not available either :*

• Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

All I can say now is, stay tuned.

William T. Gibbs, Managing Editor, Coin World

• Options
    edited June 19, 2019 6:02AM

Amos Media is not currently selling access to the Numismatic Scrapbook - they are generating no revenue from it. If it were available direct for purchase I would have bought the file long ago.

My books are in print and current. Maybe when they are out of print - like Scrapbook - I'll release digital versions. Also, From Mine to Mint, Proof Coins 1936-1942, Silver Dollars Under the Pittman Act, and Assay Commission Minutes to 1943 are already in digital.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking around. I have the July 1964 copy at my desk. Lead article is "Philadelphia Coinage Statistics 1853-1873 The Trime" by R.W. Julian. Lots of great info.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a full set, let me see if I can find that one. Most of mine are in storage I only have up to 1948 by my desk.

And just FYI, whenever Amos lets them go, my $1000 set value drops to about $10.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

I sent Roger scans from the bound issues in our library.

William T. Gibbs

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I just found mine. Thanks. I actually have most of one set bound and a complete set in original wraps.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2019 8:14AM

@RogerB said:
    Amos Media is not currently selling access to the Numismatic Scrapbook - they are generating no revenue from it. If it were available direct for purchase I would have bought the file long ago.

My books are in print and current. Maybe when they are out of print - like Scrapbook - I'll release digital versions. Also, From Mine to Mint, Proof Coins 1936-1942, Silver Dollars Under the Pittman Act, and Assay Commission Minutes to 1943 are already in digital.

Are they available on the Kindle, or a different digital version? I checked Amazon for From Mine to Mint and there's only a paperback version, no Kindle version there yet. Not to derail this, but I do want to read your books!

I only picked up the copy I had above because I have one of the mystery pieces and am trying to figure out what it is.

Glad you were able to get the article you're looking for :)

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Become a member of the ANS.
    The library can provide - for research purposes - copies of the restricted items from the NNP.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@William said:
    All I can say now is, stay tuned.

William T. Gibbs, Managing Editor, Coin World

I'm still waiting to hear if the article I submitted to Numismatic Scrapbook back in February of 1976 has been accepted or not.......

:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@William said:
    I sent Roger scans from the bound issues in our library.

William T. Gibbs

Thanks! Very much appreciated!

• Options

RE: Kindle and other versions. The CD is package with From Mine to Mint and 1936-42 Proof coins books. Kindle and other "squished" formats tend to mess up illustrations and some tables. There is not enough market to justify the time spent to fix for specific digital devices - this becomes more of a problem as devices become obsolete or formats change. The PDF advantage is stability of the viewed product.

• Options

Thanks to all who sent notes or offered to help. I have the copies from Bill Gibbs at Coin World, and they look fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file