Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this lot?

I know the pics are horrible but it was the best I could do at the time. The owner is a former we buy gold owner I've made friends with over the years. He wants to sell these along with a pile of common dates hes hoarded over the years.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 10:43AM

Offer him spot for it...if its real.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

He knows they are rare dates.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, at least one of them is authentic ><

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use caution! The 1888 , 1894 & 1896 are counterfeits.

• Options
    gotboostedvr6gotboostedvr6 Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 11:50AM

I had a glimmer of hope the 81cc was real...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put your money back in your wallet and walk away.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 12:09PM

honestly they look like they are in the cleaned category or general circulation. They Key dates will fetch a little more but without a clear picture outside 2x2 it is difficult to price. I would say offer 16 each as friends. If it would offend then just guild to current bid pricing.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 81 CC is sooooooooooo far from an XF

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would anyone expect a fair deal selling to a "We Buy Gold" crook? Would anyone expect a fair deal buying from a "We Buy Gold" person?

Suggest heading to your nearest dry cleaners. At least when they take the "shirt off your back" it will be returned clean and pressed. :)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely pass on this lot.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a rule, when you see coins in cardboard 2x2’s written on with Sharpies, and it is NOT 1977, there is a problem.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you say "written with a sharpie" ? Did you mean "written by a sharpie" ?

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't look close enough to tell if they are counterfeit or not. But, don't trust ANY of the grades on the flips. Is he really saying the 1896-S and 1881-CC are both the same grade: EF-40? Yikes!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Tell him to take to a "We Buy all Gold, Silver and Coins" event at a local hotel.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Use caution! The 1888 , 1894 & 1896 are counterfeits.

I think so too.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

The low-grade 1881-CC looks like it might be genuine.
    All others are modern manufacture.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF40 on the 81CC is a bit, ehemmm.... optimistic? !! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gotboostedvr6 said:
    I know the pics are horrible but it was the best I could do at the time. The owner is a former we buy gold owner I've made friends with over the years. He wants to sell these along with a pile of common dates hes hoarded over the years.

@gotboostedvr6 said:
    He knows they are rare dates.

Huh?

If your friend and you want to continue to be friends then talk about the weather or something.

If your being his proxy to sell it for him or your trying to sell it as yours then take it to the BST.

IM 1.001c opinion

• Options

I sell local at coin club shows and occasionally at a large market. Internet sales of PM and coins don't particularly interest me.

When i photograph my personal coins i put a little more effort into it.

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I like the VG+ 81 cc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file