Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Topps Traded PSA Population

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are 1974 Traded cards so difficult to find in PSA 9 or better? Approximately 50% of the traded set has PSA 9 population under 35. For the normal 1974 set less than 8% have a 9 population that low.

I know the cards are not hard to find overall, since I checked my stash of ‘74s purchased as a kid and the card I had the most of (at 23) was the Merv Rettenmund Traded card. What gives? Were the Traded cards not included in vending and cut card cases or something?

And while I’m at it, why is there a Washington variation of the Dave Freisleben rookie card when there are no other Washington variations in the last two series?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of 1974 Topps Traded, I’ve been wanting a red flip PSA 6 or higher of the Marichal for some time now. I have a PSA 9, but it’s unsigned. Does anybody here either have a connection so I can crack mine out and have Juan sign it, or has one already slabbed with a card grade of at least PSA 6 that they would trade or sell? Thanks.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Production on '74TT was treated as something of an afterthought, the cuts on some of them are horrible.
    The Friesleben Washington card doesn't seem to be the variation as much as the San Diego Small and Large prints, so that may have fit into the assumption that the Padres were definitely going to move.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 10:46AM

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

The Friesleben Washington card doesn't seem to be the variation as much as the San Diego Small and Large prints, so that may have fit into the assumption that the Padres were definitely going to move.

First of all, can someone explain the sheet composition of Topps sets starting in 1974 when all cards were released at the same time? Looking around the web it seems that there are three types of 1974 sheets. There are two sheets that contain a mixture of 1-132 and 133-264. There is one sheet that has the entire 265-396. And then there are two sheets that contain a mixture of 397-528 and 529-660.

It just seems strange that all Padres cards in the 1-396 range have a Washington variation, and none of those above 396 do....except the Freisleben.

I guess the likely explanation is that all of the sheets were originally made with Washingtons. The series 1/2 and Series 3 sheets were for some reason released before the series 4/5 sheets. Once the mistake was realized, all the Padres players in the series 4/5 sheets were corrected to San Diego, but the Freisleben was originally overlooked because of being on a rookie card. It was then corrected much later, accounting for the relative scarcity of the Padres variations.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

First of all, can someone explain the sheet composition of Topps sets starting in 1974 when all cards were released at the same time? Looking around the web it seems that there are three types of 1974 sheets. There are two sheets that contain a mixture of 1-132 and 133-264. There is one sheet that has the entire 265-396. And then there are two sheets that contain a mixture of 397-528 and 529-660.

It just seems strange that all Padres cards in the 1-396 range have a Washington variation, and none of those above 396 do....except the Freisleben.

One of the possibilities could be variations of what was issued in packs or vending vs. the '74T Factory sets. Not claiming to be an authority, hopefully one of the vets here will chime in.