Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PM cards from 1992

I have a warren moon platinum card and it is numbered “artist proof”. I can’t find anything on these obscure cards, especially on the artist proof. Any insight on these cards would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Mitsubishi is the manufacturer I believe

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Post some scans.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the message boards Moonman. I hope you have as much fun as we do around here. It's a great community of collectors.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

HighGradeLegends will be along to welcome you shortly.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    HighGradeLegends will be along to welcome you shortly.

Ha! This!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Doesn’t seem to upload the pic

• Options

Maybe it did

• Options

bump

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there's a whole lot of info about them since they didn't seem to last long. I highly doubt they ever got 10k of any made for this 'limited edition', likely less than a couple hundred each. Here's my Nicklaus regular issue (came in the black folder and the #0000 promo/proof encased in what's likely an Arrowhead holder ...

COA inside the folder ...

I've never seen a checklist or advertisement for them, though I can't say I've tried looking too hard either.

• Options

well that's more info than I have ever gotten on my own so thanks for the info

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Brooks Robinson that was signed. Agreed that unless there is an undiscovered hoard out there, they seem to be fairly limited. When offered on ebay, the sellers usually are asking big $$, which I am going to guess is because they were expensive upon release and these are original owners hoping to recoup their cost all these years later from an isue few know about and even fewer care about.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

They were advertised heavily in the early 1990s Tuff Stuff magazines. I believe pretty spendy even almost 30 years ago.

• Options

I also see them from time to time on ebay and yes always for big $. But here is the rub for me, they are numbered to 1000/2000 and 3000 for platinum, gold and silver. That means there is a lot of them somewhere. I mean you can buy nice cards on ebay numbered to 10 for a few bucks. so where are all these cards. Not even considered old by collection standards. Honestly I just want them

• Options
    edited June 24, 2019 9:45AM

The precious metal content is a factor in the price, one gram of gold is ~$45.50 at current spot, platinum ~$25.25.

ETA: There's a Warren Moon Gold for sale @ $50 w/free shipping, that's about the cheapest I would expect to see one.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Wow platinum is that much cheaper than gold ? It’s been a long time since I really paid attention to the precious metals market but never would have guessed the spread between gold and platinum would be that wide. Luckily I’m not a precious metals trader

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

I can't verify this, but I believe I have read before that there is a questions as to whether they actually made the entire print run that they planned(or I may be thinking of some other similar card). Neither these nor the Highland Mint Topps RC series seem to have gone over that well when they were issued.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    Wow platinum is that much cheaper than gold ? It’s been a long time since I really paid attention to the precious metals market but never would have guessed the spread between gold and platinum would be that wide. Luckily I’m not a precious metals trader

Agreed, I hadn't paid attention for quite some time and was shocked when I looked it up today. Glad I sold my silver near the last peak too (think I sold @ $35-36, before it peaked ~$40/oz), it's been trending in the $13-15 range recently.

• Options

Some additional info from: https://gregoryperillo.com/about-the-artist/sports-art-biography/

In the 1990s, Mr. Perillo was commissioned to paint Brooks Robinson and Roberto Clemente for two consecutive Rawlings Gold Glove Award Dinners held in New York City. Limited edition precious metal cards were reproduced from the paintings and were presented to the guests at each event. His sports artwork of Babe Ruth and Jack Nicklaus was also reproduced by Mitsubishi for PM Cards, (Precious Metal) cards made of gold, platinum and silver.

• Options

Thanks guys.

• Options

There are a number of issues that undoubtedly never issued in the quantity originally advertised. Pro sport Statues are one I came across because there is a Garvey. You almost never see them, but I want to say the issue number was in the 1200+ range. Nowhere near that were made.

I would also point to the porcelain cards by Topps. They had pretty high runs, but you never see them. I doubt there are stashes of these things sitting undiscovered, but you never know. Just ask Black box UD Mike Witt and he'll tell you!

• Options

Then were these cards never actually made in the quantity stated? I mean I can just imagine some dude sittin in his mothers basement lookin at boxes of these cards. Seems like they would have all been made before any release. But I could be wrong

• Options

Outside of the Brooks Robinson Auto'd (#1356/10k), I can't find a single one numbered higher than #615 with several that the highest # is in the 140s.

• Options

@Moonman said:
    Then were these cards never actually made in the quantity stated? I mean I can just imagine some dude sittin in his mothers basement lookin at boxes of these cards. Seems like they would have all been made before any release. But I could be wrong

One possible scenario:

I know when the Highland Mint bronze/silver cards were released, I had to place a pre-order with a local shop to get the Kirby Puckett and Emmitt Smith issues. The prices were fairly high and I could only afford the bronze being I was about 19 and in college. So, its very likely that these types of cards were only purchased by die-hard collectors of the particular players. Many(if not most) probably got out of the market when it crashed in the mid to late 90's, and like me, these cards sat in a box in their closet for 20 years.

Further, its very possible that after the pre-orders were so low, they didn't make the quantity they had planned.

So while its very plausible and likely that they didn't produce the cards in the quantities they planed, the reason why you don't see so many of these could also be partially explained by the fact that those sold were purchased by die-hard fans who aren't interested in re-selling them.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

Very good Points. Thanks

• Options

To the point about die hard collectors wrapping up items for a long time...

Excluding items like direct sale (shop at home, mail order ads, etc) and subscription type items where you are buying a specific item or known or unknown quantity, I would love to know what kind of percentage chance we have of seeing certain limited cards at all. I know it would be impossible to know for sure, but you have to figure some percentage of cards are never pulled from boxes, as some may sit sealed in collections or sealed/unsold. Then you have to figure some percentage of cards pulled from packs never go anywhere to be sold and end up in a box by the person who pulled them. There is also the sales platform factor. You almost expect ebay to be where all cards come to be sold, but that is not true. There are many lesser known platforms and there are a number of people who don't even deal online at all. Some of these cards after a decade or more are probably still hiding in dollar boxes at some musty old shop in a small town, USA.

Upon initial issue, the odds have to be much greater to see any given card as breakers and flippers try to make their initial profit. However as the years pass and the supply dries up, only long dormant collections once considered sacred, but now assets to be liquidated by friends or family of the recently deceased or people who just lose interest and get out are finally re-entering the market after many, many years away.

I will use myself as an example. I have items that have been locked in my collection for decades now. They will likely eventually reappear to the market in the next 20 years or so for one reason or another, but maybe not much sooner. Some items may have not seen the light of day outside my collection in 50 years or more by then!

• Options

That's good insight mopar, and thank you. I am one of these collectors you mentioned. Just about every card I have ever obtained is still in my possession. It started when I was 13 and initially I thought Ill hold onto these cards for 20 years or so and then make my fortune. Well then the 90's came and I bought so much of the mass produced product that is now worthless. Yes I still have all of those, I cant even give them away. So the valuable cards I do have will remain with me for now, still hoping that my fortune will come in. But if I'm being honest I may never sell. Ill just give them to my son and he can do whatever he wants. Any ideas for getting rid of mass amounts of commons???

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@Moonman Sportslots.... If you don't mind selling a handful of cards at a time for 18 cents each. I have purchased from them a few times and plan to start selling my load of junk wax soon.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moonman said:
    That's good insight mopar, and thank you. I am one of these collectors you mentioned. Just about every card I have ever obtained is still in my possession. It started when I was 13 and initially I thought Ill hold onto these cards for 20 years or so and then make my fortune. Well then the 90's came and I bought so much of the mass produced product that is now worthless. Yes I still have all of those, I cant even give them away. So the valuable cards I do have will remain with me for now, still hoping that my fortune will come in. But if I'm being honest I may never sell. Ill just give them to my son and he can do whatever he wants. Any ideas for getting rid of mass amounts of commons???

There are a couple of people on here who cut up commons (or even star cards) to make artwork. You might want to investigate that if you're just looking for space.