Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Authentic - Altered or Altered but not slabbed???

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and maybe Todd can chime in. I've never been able to get an answer from customer service. As an example, I have sent in a 1961 Topps Mantle a couple times. Mick is mid grade but someone must have drawn a moustache on him years ago then someone after that erased it. I get it, it is indeed altered. The second time I subbed it, I clearly stated that I wanted it to be slabbed as just "Authentic". It came back again in the card saver with the sticker saying it was altered. I see plenty of PSA cards out there with the flip as "Authentic - Altered" so I know it is done. I can't figure out what the reasoning is that it wouldn't be slabbed. Even though the slabs can be cracked and sold raw, I would think PSA would rather have them in the Altered holders. I ask as I am anxiously awaiting for the results on a 33 Goudey Ruth I sent in a couple weeks ago. It was submitted to PSA by the previous owner some time ago and also came back in the CS 1 as altered. I asked for this card to just be slabbed "Authentic - Altered" so we will see. I figure for $100 it should at least come back in a holder.
Can anyone explain why some are slabbed and some just sent back??
Thanks!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had items slabbed as authentic-altered upon request. I’ve also had times that wasn’t initially done, but I called before it shipped and they did it for me. The official, vague answer is that it’s up to the discretion of the grader. But my guess, based on my experience, is that they just missed your note/request.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I’ve had items slabbed as authentic-altered upon request. I’ve also had times that wasn’t initially done, but I called before it shipped and they did it for me. The official, vague answer is that it’s up to the discretion of the grader. But my guess, based on my experience, is that they just missed your note/request.

I hope that is the case and they catch it this time. I am for sure ready to call in if I see that the Ruth hasn't been holdered. I have PSA on speed dial!

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder, if because of the buzz about the altered 52 Mantle, they're a bit hesitant to slab altered cards now, especially high profile cards like your Mantle and Ruth.

@lawnmowerman said:
    I wonder, if because of the buzz about the altered 52 Mantle, they're a bit hesitant to slab altered cards now, especially high profile cards like your Mantle and Ruth.

The Mantle isn't a high dollar card at all and I subbed that last year. The Ruth was subbed previously, at least a couple years ago. Heck, I would think they would want to slab cards as "altered" more now. But that's just my odd way of thinking, lol.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

I think putting “altered” on the label actually helps.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Well, looks like they got it right!! Can't wait to get it back!!

1 1 27191004 AA: AUTHENTIC ALTERED 1933 Goudey 144 Babe Ruth Card

Here's a scan before I sent it in.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I think the Mantle might be an MK and not an Authentic Altered label and could be why it wasn't holdered. I think each grader just decides whatever they feel at the time... I have had minsizerq cards come back in holders several times and were charged without asking, and then on most other submissions I was not charged a fee and it was sent back in a CS1. It would be nice if PSA defined this more clearly instead of "up to the graders discretion".