Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay seller asking me to pay through Iban Bic

An Ebay seller asked me to pay through Iban Bic. I refused. He claimed he doesn't have a paypal account. Is this a scam. It seemed to risky to me, especially since the card is over $200.00 It was listed on Ebay France. Is it some kind of scam? He refused to be paid through paypal or by credit card, claiming it was some kind of international policy.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are wise to refuse.

I have had problems with international transactions but this one looks worse.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had finally landed the elusive globo gum joe louis card, until he asked me to wire the money outside of ebay to his bank account. I read about people using this scam.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

just cancel it and report it too eBay. One thing I have learned in collecting cards is no matter how elusive a card might be...it will turn up again. Just practice patience and it will eventually pay off.

• Options

I am definately going to report him. I'm heading that way right now as a matter of fact.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    just cancel it and report it too eBay. One thing I have learned in collecting cards is no matter how elusive a card might be...it will turn up again. Just practice patience and it will eventually pay off.

This

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used IBAN/BIC to pay for several items I've purchased from sellers in all sorts of eastern and western European countries successfully without any issue. Most of the time it is from sales platforms other than ebay, but occasionally on ebay too. There is definitely another level of risk with doing so though.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made hundreds and hundreds of purchases on eBay from foreign countries. The one time I got a "can you pay me with X, because Paypal is [insert problem]" ended up being a scam where they were selling photocopies of the cards. Of course, I refused and let him know under no circumstances would I pay outside of eBay and magically within a few hours he discovered a work around for the Paypal problem.

I'm by no means looking to sell my Louis but you're now the third person I've run into in the past month that's been going bananas for the '37 Globo set. I know the set is tough but I have a library of tough sets that no seems to care about. Why is the Globo set so hot right now? I think I need 2 or 3 boxers and maybe 9 total for the set (with a beauty of a Jesse Owens).

Arthur

• Options
    edited June 17, 2019 4:09PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I've made hundreds and hundreds of purchases on eBay from foreign countries. The one time I got a "can you pay me with X, because Paypal is [insert problem]" ended up being a scam where they were selling photocopies of the cards. Of course, I refused and let him know under no circumstances would I pay outside of eBay and magically within a few hours he discovered a work around for the Paypal problem.

I'm by no means looking to sell my Louis but you're now the third person I've run into in the past month that's been going bananas for the '37 Globo set. I know the set is tough but I have a library of tough sets that no seems to care about. Why is the Globo set so hot right now? I think I need 2 or 3 boxers and maybe 9 total for the set (with a beauty of a Jesse Owens).

Arthur

The Globo Joe Louis is very tough to track down. It has a low PSA pop, and it's one of his earlier cards. I thought I had it this morning, but I just don't want to risk sending over $200.00 to someone, and being scammed. He refused to even try to work around it, so I just didn't want to risk it. I have bought cards from Ebay France before, and always went through Ebay. The Globo set is a beautiful set, I hope I can land a Louis someday. It can be very tough to track down.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

If you ever do decide to sell the Louis, let me know. That card is my Holy grail, and Louis is my hero.

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

What is iban bic?

• Options

EagleEyeKid said:
    What is iban bic?

It's some kind of international bank account that you wire money too. I'm not sure myself, but I don't trust it. The seller called it iban bic, he said he wanted me to wire the money through it into his account. He refused to do it through paypal, and refused to let me pay with a credit card through Ebay. There's no protection if something goes wrong. I read about people being scammed with it when I researched it. I just don't trust it.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

If you ever do decide to sell the Louis, let me know. That card is my Holy grail, and Louis is my hero.

$200 is a steal. I've sold lower tier IBHOFers (although ones with a cult following) for $200.

The really weird thing about the set is that on the rare occurrences when cards surface, they surface in large groupings. I have 47 copies of the 37 boxers and 68 copies of the 64 cards in the set. I need 5 boxers and 7 from the other sports but I have Owens and Weissmueller so the other sports are just nobodies. But here's the thing, I've bought '37 Globo cards on basically two occasions. Both times someone was selling large groupings of them and had them broken up into chunks of 15 or so cards. Once I was able to get them all, another time I went up against someone else who happened to find them also (you really need to be part bloodhound for a lot of these foreign sets) and we banged heads on the groupings and basically split them down the middle. I wish I could remember who it was because he was a nice guy and it turned out we had run up against each other more than a few times previously when seller's didn't know what they had.

I don't even bother checking U.S. eBay for these. Gave up on that years ago so maybe they've shown up there. But in the mother, more reliable places, it's been years since I've seen fresh meat. It's quite discouraging. I'm accustomed to the things I collect being rare and unpopular. Weird to see activity on something that I've known is so difficult for a decade now.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@doubledragon said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

$200 is a steal. I've sold lower tier IBHOFers (although ones with a cult following) for $200.

The really weird thing about the set is that on the rare occurrences when cards surface, they surface in large groupings. I have 47 copies of the 37 boxers and 68 copies of the 64 cards in the set. I need 5 boxers and 7 from the other sports but I have Owens and Weissmueller so the other sports are just nobodies. But here's the thing, I've bought '37 Globo cards on basically two occasions. Both times someone was selling large groupings of them and had them broken up into chunks of 15 or so cards. Once I was able to get them all, another time I went up against someone else who happened to find them also (you really need to be part bloodhound for a lot of these foreign sets) and we banged heads on the groupings and basically split them down the middle. I wish I could remember who it was because he was a nice guy and it turned out we had run up against each other more than a few times previously when seller's didn't know what they had.

I don't even bother checking U.S. eBay for these. Gave up on that years ago so maybe they've shown up there. But in the mother, more reliable places, it's been years since I've seen fresh meat. It's quite discouraging. I'm accustomed to the things I collect being rare and unpopular. Weird to see activity on something that I've known is so difficult for a decade now.

Arthur

I practically live on Ebay France and Ebay Italy these days. There are some tough Italian issue cards to locate of Joe louis also. His 1951 Albosport Didasco is hard to find. I missed it by a hair a couple of months ago. Also his Omnia Sport figurine and his Nannina figurine are tough to find. There was a globo gum Louis on Ebay US a couple of months ago that was a PSA 3.5, but I got sniped on it. It still stings.

• Options

Those didn't use to be hard to find. They were always $20-30 cards if I remember correctly. There's a handful of different Nannina cards, I can't remember which one I have.

Globo made a post card set of boxers around the same time. There were 9 or 10 to a series and I know they made at least 3 series. I've only come across one Louis and grabbed it. I would say the 1936 Indiana Sport sets are definitely a degree tougher than the '37 Globo, they just lack the aesthetic appeal. I saw those cards come up for sale once and grabbed them all. There were two Louis cards (sold one to a friend), a few baseball cards (including Ruth), and a football card, believe it or not, of a 1935 game between the Packers and Cardinals that depicted a couple of HOFers. I've only even seen a fraction of the cards from that set. The real betch of it too is that the cards can be found in two different color tones. Here's the Louis/Carnera card and an example of the two tones:

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Those didn't use to be hard to find. They were always $20-30 cards if I remember correctly. There's a handful of different Nannina cards, I can't remember which one I have.

Globo made a post card set of boxers around the same time. There were 9 or 10 to a series and I know they made at least 3 series. I've only come across one Louis and grabbed it. I would say the 1936 Indiana Sport sets are definitely a degree tougher than the '37 Globo, they just lack the aesthetic appeal. I saw those cards come up for sale once and grabbed them all. There were two Louis cards (sold one to a friend), a few baseball cards (including Ruth), and a football card, believe it or not, of a 1935 game between the Packers and Cardinals that depicted a couple of HOFers. I've only even seen a fraction of the cards from that set. The real betch of it too is that the cards can be found in two different color tones. Here's the Louis/Carnera card and an example of the two tones:

Arthur

Beautiful cards. I got a late start learning about the globo cards, so I've got my work cut out for me trying to find the Louis at an affordable price. I didn't learn about the globo Louis until recently. I had no idea about the Louis post card. I'll have to add it to the white whale list. I'll keep looking for an affordable globo Louis. Maybe one will turn up. I have also been checking Delcampe, but no luck.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I thought I had finally landed the elusive globo gum joe louis card, until he asked me to wire the money outside of ebay to his bank account. I read about people using this scam.

for 200 dollars probably too good to be tru

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

is your set graded ?

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 5:51PM

@lawyer05 said:

@doubledragon said:

for 200 dollars probably too good to be tru

The thing about it is, I've read some online complaints about Ebay scammers asking for payment by wiring money to their account, and afterwards the customer never receives the item they purchased. There's no protection for the customer if they wire the money. What's to keep the seller from just stealing the money. I'm sure there have been a lot of successful transactions from wiring money, but I'm just not that trusting of people that I don't know.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Think of IBAN BIC as a wire transfer in US terms. There is no recourse, funds are made available immediately. Great for sending money to a known entity or family member, not so great if the beneficiary is scamming.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

is your set graded ?

No, they're still all raw.

Arthur