Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shave and a haircut - two bits ($11,000)

ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2019 8:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I sold the bulk of my Barber and Seated halves recently and have been smarting from the financial damage. Then I see this and realize that others have fared far worse. Great looking coin though.

Great Collections Feb 2014 $14,494

Heritage in a new and not improved holder - August 2014 $3,920.00

This hobby is not for the weak for faint of heart.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think something was done to change the surface or is it just the lighting.

Because honestly the fields look much different in the original.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 3:03PM

An AU> @thisistheshow said:

Do you think something was done to change the surface or is it just the lighting.

Heritage has vastly improved their photo skills since 2014 and GC tends to not have very great photos. The GC photo is just stunning no doubt, but it does hide a lot of the flaws that the Heritage pic captured. I think if a collector is going to spend 5K or more, it is probably best to see the coin in hand first.

@ARCO said:
    An AU> @thisistheshow said:

Heritage has vastly improved their photo skills since 2014 and GC tends to not have very great photos. The GC photo is just stunning no doubt, but it does hide a lot of the flaws that the Heritage pic captured. I think if a collector is going to spend 5K or more, it is probably best to see the coin in hand first.

Very good points. I agree 100% about seeing it in hand.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 3:23PM

Hmmm... I don't feel like looking....can you correct what I am sure is a typo in HA price relized?

I would also like to say....you took a beating because of the way you sell your coins. You gotta hold your ground on nicer tough stuff and not gamble like well established sellers who do the same(David Kahn is a great example) and he takes a lickin sometimes! Not that I'm complaining because I bought some really nice tough stuff from you! Another tip is private listings are the kiss of death in ebay auctions! May I ask why you choose to do this? Most people I know equate it with a listing that is going to be shilled.

• IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Toning looks different to me old vs. new...great coin(s)!

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where the heck did that 14+K bid come from?
    I call shenanigans on someone or something.

edited June 15, 2019 4:12PM

@amwldcoin said:
    I would also like to say....you took a beating because of the way you sell your coins. You gotta hold your ground on nicer tough stuff and not gamble like well established sellers who do the same(David Kahn is a great example) and he takes a lickin sometimes! Not that I'm complaining because I bought some really nice tough stuff from you! Another tip is private listings are the kiss of death in ebay auctions! May I ask why you choose to do this? Most people I know equate it with a listing that is going to be shilled.

I didn't realized that it mattered. For the last ten years it seems Ebay auctions have been listed as private. Based on the watchers and bidders, there are plenty of eyeballs. David Kahn doesn't do much better in his auctions. I know, because the coins I won with David Kahn's auction have held their value (I didn't overpay) the most.

Part of my problem was buying for the registry set and not worrying about the price so much.

Next point! Summertime is the absolute worst time for blow out sales(99 cent start)! I'm always broke by the end of the summer from damn! I can't let that go so cheap!

Have you ever tried listing fixed price?

@ARCO said:

@amwldcoin said:

I didn't realized that it mattered. For the last ten years it seems Ebay auctions have been listed as private. Based on the watchers and bidders, there are plenty of eyeballs. David Kahn doesn't do much better in his auctions. I know, because the coins I won with David Kahn's auction have held their value (I didn't overpay) the most.

Part of my problem was buying for the registry set and not worrying about the price so much.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I know a little history on this coin. This is from an old friend (now passed) but here is what I believe happened. Two bidders ran this coin up at GC when It came up for sale, thinking they had a sure lock upgrade to 65. The winner re-submitted the coin , but it actually downgraded a point for whatever reason. They tried unsuccessfully at first to get it back into the original grade. Apparently, they must have gotten it finally back into a 4 with a little help.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    I think I know a little history on this coin. This is from an old friend (now passed) but here is what I believe happened. Two bidders ran this coin up at GC when It came up for sale, thinking they had a sure lock upgrade to 65. The winner re-submitted the coin , but it actually downgraded a point for whatever reason. They tried unsuccessfully at first to get it back into the original grade. Apparently, they must have gotten it finally back into a 4 with a little help.

A lot of different people bid on this coin at a premium price.

You're right, from our old friend. RIP.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    Heritage in a new and not improved holder - August 2014 $3,90.00

You dropped a digit - $3290

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine the big crack out guys eat a few like this all the time. As long as the wins cover the duds, it’s a profitable venture. Still, this one seems like an especially severe beating. I’m sure there are stories of bigger disasters too.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the crack out geniuses view this coin in hand? GC does have their weekly regulars who look at every lot.

edited June 15, 2019 11:19PM

Great thread. I learned some things.

Edit to add: :) you guys are funny!

@skier07 said:
    Did the
    crack out geniuses
    view this coin in hand?

😂🤣🤣😂

edited June 16, 2019 12:37AM

@skier07 said:
    Did the crack out geniuses view this coin in hand? GC does have their weekly regulars who look at every lot.

We should definitely come up with a new term. This was done in 2014 (it sold in the old holder and reappeared in a new holder a short time later) so there was a reconsideration tier at the time. It seems like a very dumb move to submit as a regrade in a situation like this rather than to use reconsideration. There is also no chance that the coin would upgrade to 65 IMHO.

edited June 16, 2019 8:07AM

@jdimmick said:

Thanks Jim,

Seems to me the GC photo hid many of the flaws that would have informed the bidders that the coin may not have been a likely candidate for a 65.

What also seems strange is to bid the full 65 price (based on past auctions). Even if the coin got the upgrade, there would have been no upside left. All the risk and none of the reward.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it’s to late but I would of left it in the Original holder. Personally I like the look better than the newer holder. Good thing is you can write off your big losses right?

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a million transactions there will be a few outliers that defy understanding.

@BryceM said:

True. Or, in my case, a million transactions that were just a bit stupid. :)

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@BryceM said:

True. Or, in my case, a million transactions that were just a bit stupid. :)

+1

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MilesWaits said:
    Bullion.

Wrong thread?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Someone took it in the shorts. Geez....

Of course, all it takes is two deep-pocket bidders to occasionally rocket a coin into the stratosphere. That appears to be the case on the GC auction. I've see it happen many times.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file