Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My first Gothic Florin

Here is my first gothic florin purchase, a 1872 piece. I think this piece should be a VF. I got it for less than 50 usd. What do you guys think?

Tagged:

Comments

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019 4:28PM

I have always loved the gothic bust and owned several of the florins. Your probably on point in the VF arena but I would says it's also been cleaned as well. If you just like the design and want a higher grade without the higher price many gothic bust British-India rupees are available for around $20-30.

Edited to add photos

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but I think you made a mistake in buying that coin. It appears to have been harshly cleaned or abused in some other way at some time in the past and would be classified as a problem coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • dxd1995dxd1995 Posts: 45 ✭✭

@coffeyce said:
    I have always loved the gothic bust and owned several of the florins. Your probably on point in the VF arena but I would says it's also been cleaned as well. If you just like the design and want a higher grade without the higher price many gothic bust British-India rupees are available for around $20-30.

@291fifth said:
    Sorry, but I think you made a mistake in buying that coin. It appears to have been harshly cleaned or abused in some other way at some time in the past and would be classified as a problem coin.

Thank you for commenting. I am still in the stage of learning and trying, so your comments are extremely helpful to me. I have always been curious about how can one tell if the coin has been cleaned. Could you please give me some ideas or advice? I really appreciate it.

@dxd1995 said:

@coffeyce said:

@291fifth said:

Thank you for commenting. I am still in the stage of learning and trying, so your comments are extremely helpful to me. I have always been curious about how can one tell if the coin has been cleaned. Could you please give me some ideas or advice? I really appreciate it.

I am far from a expert on cleaned silver coins. I do quite well on copper. Do you see those lines that look like scratches in the bust picture. This to me looks like its been harshly cleaned. Usually if I see any lines when I look at a coins like this without magnification I leave it alone. But there are some cleaned without leaving traces like this and you have to look at areas around the letters and designs. such as the coin is blast white except for these areas can also be a sign. I will let other chime in on this as I still have coins I think are fine that our host finds to be cleaned.

This is one of mine I recently got back I thought to be ok.

Copper on the other hand usually turns bright and shiny when cleaned harshly. If the copper coin looks odd compared to others of its age I usually stay away unless its an uncirculated beauty.

If it was me I would stay under the $50 mark on coins until I learned more about condition unless your buying from a reputable source. Ebay and some other sites are filled with problem coins that many sellers are hoping to unload on unsuspecting buyers.

lastly, If you see a coin you like. Check our hosts grades coin examples and compare them Do they look similar. You can assess grade, authenticity and other things from this most of the time. these forums also help. Welcome to the club..

Hope this helps a little.

Chris

@coffeyce
    Thank you very much for your informative answer. Your reply struck me that a copper medal I purchased maybe cleaned.

Is this piece also cleaned cause the color around details are much darker?

I also own two identical french copper medals. But one is a lot "shinier" than the other. Is the first one also cleaned?

actually I dont think it looks to bad at all. Its a beautiful medal.

@coffeyce said:
    actually I dont think it looks to bad at all. Its a beautiful medal.

Thank you! Guess I should pay more attention to signs of dipping and cleaning next time

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gothic florins are among my favorite milled British coins (I’m more of a hammered coin guy). The Gothic crown is a lovely coin too but way more expensive than the florin and has a similar design.

The florins were produced for many years and examples are not hard to find. I am still looking for one for myself, though not looking all that hard.

Unfortunately I do not care for the coin in the original post as, mentioned above, it has been harshly cleaned. Nice examples are not hard to find, it’s worth being patient looking for a nice one.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little off topic. Is it Gothic because of the portrait, or is it Gothic because of the lettering? or both?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    Lettering

That's what I always thought.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dxd1995 - I really like the medals you posted!

Like many others, I have paid some “tuition“. It definitely took a little bit of time to develop an eye for cleaned coins. (I still have a lot to learn.)

I commend you for seeking feedback on your recent purchase and taking the hard earned advice of others here to heart.

My current "Box of 20"

@Bob13 said:
    @dxd1995 - I really like the medals you posted!

Like many others, I have paid some “tuition“. It definitely took a little bit of time to develop an eye for cleaned coins. (I still have a lot to learn.)

I commend you for seeking feedback on your recent purchase and taking the hard earned advice of others here to heart.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely learn as much as I can from my purchases. I guess next time I will buy from an auction. I think that will be much safer

• sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

That’s a nice choice I would say! The shine is great, even with the distortions in designs it has got a great eye appeal!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

to the forums. Cleaned coin, but nice design. Beautiful medals!