Home Q & A Forum
Options

Grading Submission delays?

PCGS received my submission last Thursday, yet I've received no correspondence even stating it was received or processed. I called Monday 6/10 and they confirmed it was in fact received, but now almost a week later nothing. I only ask because in the past I typically at minimum received a notification the next day that the coin was received/in process. Anyone else experiencing similar? Express service level was also requested

Virginia Beach, VA
Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not directed just to you. It is a suggestion for everyone using any TPGS. Cool it. You stated that your coins were received. You guys have no idea the time it takes to answer all the daily inquiries. When they need to bother the graders, that screws everyone up because of that one out of thousands. Now multiply that. I know, I know its their job but...just a suggestion. :)

PS You would not believe the subject of a majority of the calls the graders must personally handle even with fast turnaround times.

• Options

I hear you, I'm simply asking based upon all other submissions to PCGS in the past I've made....there were notifications received typically the next business day at least letting me know it was received and being processed. This isn't necessarily just an issue of being impatient 😁

Virginia Beach, VA
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

• Options
    edited June 12, 2019 1:30PM

At one TPGS I worked at THE OWNER WOULD NOT LET US SEND OUT COINS FASTER THAN THE SERVICE PAID FOR.

I continued to argue against this policy for years. The reasons he was correct:

1. It was his company and he set the rules.
    2. If you send an economy submission out in two days, no one will pay the money for faster service because everything is going out fast.
    3. If you do anything out of the ordinary, including sending out coins on time, folks will expect it ALL THE TIME, get worried, and start clogging up the system with unnecessary phone calls. :wink:
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you use the find my package link?

Good for checking that in between status.

After your PO tracking says it’s delivered and before our hosts says processing. The in-between.

https://www.pcgs.com/myaccount/packagefinder

• Options

Yes

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options

@va_resellers said:
    Yes

Today makes four workdays. Not too bad IMO.

Busier than usual is my guess. Today is the cutoff for the West Point quarter submissions to get the first week pedigree; and leading up to today.

Your submittal date is right with the hundreds (thousands) of submittals for the West Point first week of discovery pedigree for the Guam War quarter. Discovery was 5 Jun.

Just guessing. I have several submissions in different stages and the only thing I track now-a-days is when it’s traveling to/from.

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

The reason there are so many delays is that it is time to give out awards for the year and everyone trying to get one has submitted last minute, myself included. With so many submissions all at once, they have to focus on the Express submission, as these people are paying much more for the quick turn around, and have to sort through all the submissions and try their best to be fair about who gets their grades first. Add that to the influx of questions and emails being received and you've got one hell of a mess. This time of year is always bad.

• Options

Pace is picking up.

I guess everyone is back from all the shows. Two orders (20+ and 30+) completed at the same time with different initial submission dates.

Another package was received yesterday and is already in the pending que (three submissions).

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Pace is picking up.

I guess everyone is back from all the shows. Two orders (20+ and 30+) completed at the same time with different initial submission dates.

Another package was received yesterday and is already in the pending que (three submissions).

Wow....no movement here after 1 week+.

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options

@va_resellers said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Pace is picking up.

Wow....no movement here after 1 week+.

Ouch! Have you called. Can’t think of a logical reason why yours shouldn’t be ahead of mine. But I did have a regular in the batch.

• Options
    va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019 2:36PM

I just called but got the standard issue CS bulls**** as I did on Monday. I was told they're 'backlogged' by about a week

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options

I’m guessing express is really backlogged. But once you get past the prep stage it should go quick. Hopefully.

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2019 9:35PM

I have three submissions right now two packages were received on 6/10 and one on 6/12 none have been entered yet. On top of that my membership just renewed and I was having problems with upgrading from silver to gold(a continuing problem from last year, upgraded just after renewal to gold system stayed as silver, but got 4 vouchers) now after paying upgrade price the system shows I am not a member and need to renew. The system started showing me as not a member Saturday morning, so I have to wait till monday morning to call and figure out what is going on. While in the mean time I just have to hope my submissions aren't rejected because of the system error.
    If I didn't know better, I would think someone doesn't want a "newbie" taking top spots. These submissions would give me a top spot for three of my world sets.

• Options

@CollectorBonEZ said:

If I didn't know better, I would think someone doesn't want a "newbie" taking top spots. These submissions would give me a top spot for three of my world sets.

I have the same thing going. A world set submission.

I also had a world coin reholder and that took nearly two months; but a US coin reholder usually takes less than two weeks. Taking advantage of the current quarterly special with free GS/TV. Wish we had last quarters special... four for the price of three or something like that, now that was a heck of a deal for semi bulk (<100 but more than 40+) submissions.

• Options

@va_resellers said:
    I just called but got the standard issue CS bulls**** as I did on Monday. I was told they're 'backlogged' by about a week

CS folks are the first contact many have with the customer. They can make or break your experience with the company. I'm sorry to hear you consider them BS "artists."

Keep calling them (NOT) as you'll slow things down even more. Please read this taken from: "Confessions of a Service Employee" published decades ago. It still holds true! I don't know what his company's business was but here are a few things I learned below. There is more but you'll get the point. We are all lucky that none of this crap goes on at the major TPGS!

1. "The customer is always right" is BS.

2. Every customer thinks THEY are the only customer. They are not, but if they "stand out" from the others because of their actions they WILL DEFINITELY FEEL like they are. This can be bad (squeaky wheel) or good (sending large gifts of edibles and business).

3. The squeaky wheel is not lubricated, IT IS REMOVED, one way or the other. There are plenty of ways to do this -LOL, Ever get transferred around, put on hold, hung up on, lost your order for two weeks until it magically is found, been told to take your business somewhere else?

4. There are preferred customers and the rest. You are definitely not a preferred customer.

• Options
    va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 10:31AM

Again, this is in no way a thread started to bash PCGS CS or simply to make it known how little patience I have for this whole process.....its simply a question based upon the turnaround time of all my previous submissions which were always prepped the next business day after they received the package. Going on 1.5 weeks with no communication whatsoever from them.....it is becoming a bit bothersome but like many of u stated this time of year can be hectic for the graders. It would be nice to at least know ur coin is in the que as we as customers not only have $ tied up on the coins, but also time and shipping costs.

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options

@va_resellers said:
    Again, this is in no way a thread started to bash PCGS CS or simply to make it known how little patience I have for this whole process.....its simply a question based upon the turnaround time of all my previous submissions which were always prepped the next business day after they received the package. Going on 1.5 weeks with no communication whatsoever from them.....it is becoming a bit bothersome but like many of u stated this time of year can be hectic for the graders. It would be nice to at least know ur coin is in the que as we as customers not only have $ tied up on the coins, but also time and shipping costs.

Here is the thing. Judging by questions you have posted, you appear to be a brand new and impatient INVESTOR and I sincerely hope you don't get badly burned. It should be interesting to see the results when you get the coins back. :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@va_resellers said:
    Again, this is in no way a thread started to bash PCGS CS or simply to make it known how little patience I have for this whole process.....its simply a question based upon the turnaround time of all my previous submissions which were always prepped the next business day after they received the package. Going on 1.5 weeks with no communication whatsoever from them.....it is becoming a bit bothersome but like many of u stated this time of year can be hectic for the graders. It would be nice to at least know ur coin

Here is the thing. Judging by questions you have posted, you appear to be a brand new and impatient INVESTOR and I sincerely hope you don't get badly burned. It should be interesting to see the results when you get the coins back. :)

I'll take this as "friendly" advice lol. Again, when 10+ coins are received/prepped within one business day, and another is on week 2 with no correspondence received, I dont think its really an issue of impatience, but rather concern that something else is going on. I hope this comes across the way I intend....

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options
    edited June 17, 2019 12:02PM

I treat everyone here as a blood brother or sister in a big family that I can argue with and offer comments/advice. The only thing missing is the turkey and dressing! :) For that reason I tend to take the gloves off and forget how ABRASIVE that can be.

Many collectors avoid the "grief" you are experiencing by using chain submissions. Each week send something in and soon enough you'll receive batches of coins in a very timely manner.

Put yourself as the owner of a TPGS. Would you have customers that you favor and would hate to lose? Here is something else from that book:

1. The small time customer cannot hurt the bottom line.

That's because 10 coins would not even pay to cool the building for two hours! I tried to get the owner of a TPGS to go after the small collectors and cater to them. Dumb suggestion! :(

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Many collectors avoid the "grief" you are experiencing by using chain submissions. Each week send something in an soon enough you'll receive batches of coins in a very timely manner.

Put yourself as the owner of a TPGS. Would you have customers that you favor and would hate to lose? Here is something else from that book:

**That's because 10 coins would not even pay to cool the building for two hours!

I gotcha buddy....I'll try to relax and hope my small-time patronage will eventually be attended to 😭😭😭

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options

“Chain submissions,” so that’s what I resemble. ;)

Either enroute to, pending of one form or another, and enroute from.

Whew, need to slow down. Maybe not, life’s short. :D

• Options

Try 13 days without getting the a package was received with tracking number xxxxx. They still have my submission from over a month ago. It took 13 days to see that they rec’d my subs. Then they input that it was received a week later then it truly was, lol. It’s all good I figured they was backed up. I was scared as all hell that they lost some of my nicest toners. They’re receiving 4-5 more orders over the next week so I hope they’re quicker. 2 of the subs I already sent and I need to pay for an engine swap. these coins are going to do it so hopefully 5 day turnaround starts pretty quickly

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    I treat everyone here as a blood brother or sister in a big family that I can argue with and offer comments/advice. The only thing missing is the turkey and dressing! :) For that reason I tend to take the gloves off and forget how ABRASIVE that can be.

Many collectors avoid the "grief" you are experiencing by using chain submissions. Each week send something in and soon enough you'll receive batches of coins in a very timely manner.

That's because 10 coins would not even pay to cool the building for two hours! I tried to get the owner of a TPGS to go after the small collectors and cater to them. Dumb suggestion! :(

Yup, chain subs are the way to go. I try to have 4-5 submissions out all times, but a lot are quicker turnaround due to their values so Ill end up waiting 2 weeks sometimes but I just need to send more

• Options

Mine is finally "in process" after being prepped last Wednesday lol 🙉🙏

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options

At least now we know I wasn't imagining things when I first posted this 🙊

Virginia Beach, VA