Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

13% eBay bucks (6/11-6/13/19)

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will 13 be lucky for you? :)

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apmex has 20 Francs for a net $229 ($225 if you have a cashback credit card). That's well back of spot.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad I am not close to the 500 max yet, will max it out the next 2 days :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always happens after...

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

I already used it for over $90 this morning!

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got it. Going for the gold. I picked up an apmex 20 franc au rooster last week 1910 sure looks bu to me.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am Maxed, but I do have 400 super nice eye appealing BIN's :)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got it!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2019 7:34AM

I've been interested in coins that were qualified, per eBay's conditions, but don't show the bonus bucks. Odd... Oh, and I do have the offer on other coins.

• Options

@drei3ree said:
    I've been interested in coins that were qualified, per eBay's conditions, but don't show the bonus bucks. Odd... Oh, and I do have the offer on other coins.

If they are listed in two categories and one is bullion, then it won’t qualify.

Also, the 13% is only for purchases via the eBay app (it’s 8% on the desktop).

Finally, it might help to logout, restart your device, and try again.

• Options

Just got $100 bucks on a 10 Indian at liberty.

• Options

@mapleman said:
    Just got it. Going for the gold. I picked up an apmex 20 franc au rooster last week 1910 sure looks bu to me.

Yes, it's all just bullion. With the sovereigns, they'll list them as AU and sometimes they even send proofs. But, I like it. While it's "only gold", it sure can be pretty and flashy. Just kind of sad that there is zero premium whatsoever.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I am Maxed, but I do have 400 super nice eye appealing BIN's :)

I'm almost maxxed...but I won't even mention the 1500 BINs that I have. :wink:

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I’m activated!!

Yeah baby!!

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2019 8:03AM

Normally I would have bought something, mostly bullion, by now. But ebay is charging me 8.875 % tax for buying a coin I barely like from a seller in Italy. It will takes me a while to get use to this 4% discount.

• Options

Very true
    I've been adding a couple to my wife's charm bracelet.
    I've Been thinking a little sack of sovs,20 francs and pre 33 will be nice in hand and the Ebucks sure
    help fill it,

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up, first time I have recieved the bonus Bucks offer in about 75 days. Lord knows I have spent some decent money with the eBay folks in the last month. Many thanks for the heads-up!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I'm getting eBay bucks every week now. And this one is the largest I've seen. Almost gets me back to pre tax taking eBay days...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had $48.08 left to finish off and found a $5 lib for $375 that perfectly took care of that.

Have it on my second account as well but only going to start that if some real solid $10 lib deals pop up as those are perfect with the 13%. Right now not seeing anything appealing for $10 libs post here if anyone spots something

• Options

BTW, has anyone else noticed price discrepancies on eBay bucks?

For BOTH of my accounts, some of the transactions in the last month had the wrong purchase price on the eBay bucks page and, therefore, the wrong eBay bucks total.

It took me a lot of phone calls to get them to credit me the difference. No one can figure out why it happened. All the transactions involved were Apmex gold, but not all the Apmex gold purchases were affected.

Spent a total of like 2-1/2 hours on the phone over 3 days to get $28 credited. LOL

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last THREE times a promo has happened has been the day after I spend several hundred dollars on coins. Ugh!!

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

For BOTH of my accounts, some of the transactions in the last month had the wrong purchase price on the eBay bucks page and, therefore, the wrong eBay bucks total.

It took me a lot of phone calls to get them to credit me the difference. No one can figure out why it happened. All the transactions involved were Apmex gold, but not all the Apmex gold purchases were affected.

Spent a total of like 2-1/2 hours on the phone over 3 days to get $28 credited. LOL

yeah this happened to me a few weeks back too. Bought a $20 lib from apmex for $1320 and it listed it for 1218 on the ebay bucks page

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up. Got me $97.50 a few minutes ago.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@PhilLynott said:

@jmlanzaf said:

yeah this happened to me a few weeks back too. Bought a $20 lib from apmex for $1320 and it listed it for 1218 on the ebay bucks page

Every CS rep I talked to was baffled, went to their supervisor who was also baffled. One even called me back for more info. Finally I got a CS rep who was willing to just credit me the amount while they tried to figure out why it was happening.

I'm now double-checking every transaction.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to receive this offer. now lets see what I can get.

• Options

Pulled the trigger on an AU double Eagle from Apmex. Haven't bought from them before so figured what the heck, now is a good time. Will end up about $40 under spot after I use the $100 ebucks.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Pulled the trigger on an AU double Eagle from Apmex. Haven't bought from them before so figured what the heck, now is a good time. Will end up about $40 under spot after I use the $100 ebucks.

I buy from them frequently. In my experience, you pretty much get what they say with bullion coins like that. [Slabs...sometimes have stock photos. See other threads.] In my experience, if they say "cleaned" they are cleaned, if they say AU they are at least AU.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Apmex has 20 Francs for a net $229 ($225 if you have a cashback credit card). That's well back of spot.

Do you have a link to this? Didn't find these in my search, thx.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They appear to be sold out at that price. It was under "deals" in their eBay store. They put up some new deals there instead: $20 libs and 100 coronas.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2019 3:46PM

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

should be this one which is already sold out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/143283444130

Anyhow the new tax from ebay killed the deal unless you have a tax exempt, or resale on file.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2019 4:00PM

Thx, I'll keep looking at US gold then.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@TurboSnail said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Anyhow the new tax from ebay killed the deal unless you have a tax exempt, or resale on file.

I know this is nit-picking a bit, but the tax is from your home state, not eBay. Many people here are totally unaffected by sales tax because of their home state.

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I sent them a message enquiring about the bucks as when I hit bin it only showed 8%. This at about 10am est. They responded several hours later to proceed to checkout and it will show as 13. I did and the 20 franc was no longer listed. Oh well I had already pu a $10 Indian from liberty.
    Maybe next time if one reappears on the big A.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to learn to make these offers work better for me.
    13% is pretty significant.
    I used it to somehow justify slightly overpriced coins that I liked.
    Gets the price down closer to acceptable. 🤔

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@TurboSnail said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I know this is nit-picking a bit, but the tax is from your home state, not eBay. Many people here are totally unaffected by sales tax because of their home state.

Not really sure what you mean. The new law says pretty much everyone will have to pay sales tax no matter where the item is coming from. A few states have coin exemptions, but pretty soon most everyone will be paying tax, even from out of state purchases.

• Options

@jwitten said:

Not really sure what you mean. The new law says pretty much everyone will have to pay sales tax no matter where the item is coming from. A few states have coin exemptions, but pretty soon most everyone will be paying tax, even from out of state purchases.

There isn't A new law. There are numerous laws in individual states. It is not national, and it is not eBay. NY state, my state, decides whether to apply an internet marketplace tax and on what items.

The tax is determined by the state you live in, regardless of where the seller is. If you live in a state that has either no sales tax or no sales tax on coins, you will not pay sales tax on coins. At the moment, it is still a minority of states, many of which have some either coin or bullion exemption. Even good old NY State exempts bullion sales over $1000.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

There isn't A new law. There are numerous laws in individual states. It is not national, and it is not eBay. NY state, my state, decides whether to apply an internet marketplace tax and on what items.

The tax is determined by the state you live in, regardless of where the seller is. If you live in a state that has either no sales tax or no sales tax on coins, you will not pay sales tax on coins. At the moment, it is still a minority of states, many of which have some either coin or bullion exemption. Even good old NY State exempts bullion sales over $1000.

The supreme court (national) recently overturned a previous decision they had made about sales tax via internet purchases in other states. So yes, it's fair to say these are new rules that are national. Yes, each state has their own individual rules, but the supreme court now gave them all authority to charge the tax if they want.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/50-state-guide-internet-sales-tax-laws.html
    https://smallbiztrends.com/2019/01/list-of-states-with-internet-sales-tax.html

• Options
    edited June 11, 2019 8:01PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Only problem with a tax free bullion over $1000 on ebay is NO ebucks. :D And the truth, sale tax exemption document is easy to obtain and file through ebay. However you may be subject to fines and a jail sentence with the intention to evade tax.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

The supreme court (national) recently overturned a previous decision they had made about sales tax via internet purchases in other states. So yes, it's fair to say these are new rules that are national. Yes, each state has their own individual rules, but the supreme court now gave them all authority to charge the tax if they want.

I'm familiar with the Wayfair ruling, but in no way is that a single national law. States without sales tax will continue to not have sales tax. States without coin taxes will continue to not have coin taxes. There is nothing mandatory about Wayfair.

• Options

Illinois also does not charge sales tax on coins and bullion. They make up for it with income tax though ;)

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Illinois also does not charge sales tax on coins and bullion. They make up for it with income tax though ;)

And a plethora of other taxes. :s
    This might be one of the few benefits of less interest in coins (politicians forget about coins when it comes time to raise taxes).

• Options

@TurboSnail said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Only problem with a tax free bullion over $1000 on ebay is NO ebucks. :D And the truth, sale tax exemption document is easy to obtain and file through ebay. However you may be subject to fines and a jail sentence with the intention to evade tax.

You can get $100 in eBay bucks, you just need to buy your bullion in the "coin" category rather than bullion. I do $10k in bullion and get eBay bucks on it every quarter.

• Options

apmex just listed special priced cleaned $10 libs if anyone is interested. $680. After 13% + 1.5% credit card rewards it's about $65 under spot

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope -- there is no "national" sales tax for eBay across the board. I just purchased several items with no tax. Alaska has NO state sales tax (city, yes). Things could change of course, but Alaskans are pretty much against more taxes.

Still shopping for that 13% discount...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no coin tax in The Commonwealth. God bless The Commonwealth! As mentioned previously if you are paying taxes on coins it's your state of residence that's stiffing you, not the feds.

Now the sad part, even with 13% still no coin deals.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

spot gold prices too high for deals this round. will still buy, it will be a deal after the 13 percent e bucks

• Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

So what are you guys buying to get value from the 13%?

• Options

@morbidsteve said:

Would love to add to my Buffalo date set... not finding "the ones" though. So far just the $20 I mentioned above.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morbidsteve said:

I picked up a certain CBH that I've always wanted.
    I didn't get a great deal but the 13% makes it reasonable.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

I bought some 20 Francs. I'll probably dump them immediately. Even at 98% of melt, I'm back of that. My strategy is a little different. I don't mind losing a few bucks on the gold as long as I have most of the eBay bucks left. It's kind of free money.

I sold a bunch of commems today also, probably to other people taking advantage of eBay bucks.

I LOVE EBAY BONUS BUCK EVENTS!!! Good for both buying and selling.

Cue @Coinstartled :wink:

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I bought some 20 Francs. I'll probably dump them immediately. Even at 98% of melt, I'm back of that. My strategy is a little different. I don't mind losing a few bucks on the gold as long as I have most of the eBay bucks left. It's kind of free money.

I sold a bunch of commems today also, probably to other people taking advantage of eBay bucks.

I LOVE EBAY BONUS BUCK EVENTS!!! Good for both buying and selling.

Cue @Coinstartled :wink:

Love the Ebay bucks promos as well. If they offered them 7 days a week and lifted the $500 cap I would once again be active on Ebay!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file