Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Very unusual gold coin

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you notice anything unusual about this coin?

Samoa /Kiribati 2000 $500 gold Proof Coin Mintage 99
Minted by the Euromint, Bochum.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It splits apart on the International date line.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    It splits apart on the International date line.

That is correct !

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

There are two mistakes in Russian description at the reverse (right bottom corner). Should be ВОЙНА-МИР.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IVB said:
    There are two mistakes in Russian description at the reverse (right bottom corner). Should be ВОЙНА-МИР.

Obviously they didn't know Cyrillic too well.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

consider for a moment that it was done purposely und nothing was said.....until someone would discover it and make it public.
    then it is announced we are so sorry and will issue another, corrected version.
    the original will get an unexpected move up in Value as a mint error.
    might yet happen :o

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    consider for a moment that it was done purposely und nothing was said.....until someone would discover it and make it public.
    then it is announced we are so sorry and will issue another, corrected version.
    the original will get an unexpected move up in Value as a mint error.
    might yet happen :o

I believe it was done purposely.

• Options

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2019 1:04PM

@SaorAlba said:

@IVB said:

Obviously they didn't know Cyrillic too well.

I don’t understand the inscription. It seems like it’s saying War-Peace, but what’s the context? Have Kiribati and Samoa been in conflict against each other?

Edited to add: disregard; I really should have looked at the coin more carefully.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it's gold, a novelty coin albeit an expensive one. If you're into Pacific rim stuff then a decision is in the wings. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, it isn't "a gold coin" - it's two gold coins, which happen to fit together jigsaw-puzzle-style. The two countries were chosen for the coinage issue because they were on opposite sides if the International Date Line: the easternmost islands of Kiribati was the first land on Earth to welcome in the year 2000, and Western Samoa was the last country to farewell the year 1999, 26 hours later.

In 2011, Western Samoa (now just called "Samoa") shifted the International Date Line back to its pre-1892 position in between Western Samoa and American Samoa, so it is now on the same side of the Line as Kiribati (and its major trading partners in Australasia and Asia). Which means the two Samoas are now a day apart, and that this coin is now a historical record of a geographical fact which is no longer correct.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)