Home Q & A Forum

? what to do with all the sorted foreign coins

What do you recommend doing with all the foreign coins I've sorted? They look to all be duds... and I don't know what to do with them now and I've got bags and bags full! Any ideas?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vent said:
    What do you recommend doing with all the foreign coins I've sorted? They look to all be duds... and I don't know what to do with them now and I've got bags and bags full! Any ideas?

Give them to YNs.

Find a cub/boy scout troop there is a coin collecting badge.

Have a giveaway and post to the World Coin forum.

Stick some in vending machine return slots.

If school is still open then drop some at the bus stop before the kids get on the bus. The bus stop around the neighborhood, not the school.

Drop some in a large store parking lot around the cart return. Not in the middle of the road or parking areas.

Put some in the extra change jars/tip jars at the register. In your case also put US coins as tips, too.

If some of the later ones sound familiar it is because they were done during the Great American Coin Hunt.

• ventvent Posts: 23

OMG! What great ideas! I didn't think of any of that lol Thanx a ton Hemispherical!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't say what these coins are. If there are quantities of major currencies (euro, pound, etc.) you can list on ebay.

Oh, sorry lol... here's a pic of some of the junk I've collected. I have tons more! Ebay sounds like a good idea too..

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vent

Here is a good website to ID world coins and with pictures.

http://www.portlandcoins.com/

You have a lot of British point coins there - they are the old style, though. I am not sure if they can still be exchanged in the UK. But list all the current British coins together in one lot - people buy them (at a discount) to use on vacation, etc.

There is 7.40 in GBP in that one picture alone. If the pound coins can still be exchanged that little pile alone would likely bring several dollars on ebay (if shipping was not too expensive).

I also also see some arcade tokens - still usable and buyers are on eBay for those as well.

I think you need to sort again and see exactly what you have - there is money to be made there. Or, take good photos of the entire lot and list on eBay and let someone else do the dirty work.

Thank you JBK, I'm just loaded with tons of this stuff and was lost (: But sound like you have a good idea, I can resort and list what I have, just don't know what to ask for all them, or should I just list them on ebay as auction instead of buy it now? because I don't know a buy it now price.

@vent said:
    Thank you JBK, I'm just loaded with tons of this stuff and was lost (: But sound like you have a good idea, I can resort and list what I have, just don't know what to ask for all them, or should I just list them on ebay as auction instead of buy it now? because I don't know a buy it now price.

To maximize value I'd separate into lots. For example, all the UK coins, all the euro coins, and all the game tokens.

Then you will have a pile of obsolete European coins, assorted modern coins from other countries, etc. All that can go into a pile of mixed foreign. If you have tons of coins from any one country, list those separately in case someone wants just those.

If you list it with decent photos and descriptions in an auction format, the UK, euro, and tokens will rise near to the real value or going rate (most people will want to buy at a small discount to make it worthwhile), so no need to worry about pricing. Just be careful about not overcharging for postage as that will reduce the bids.

I have bought UK and euro lots like this before on eBay, so I know it sells. If you have defined lots you can even try the BST forum here first. The UK changed the design of the pound coin a year or two ago, and I just do not know if the old ones are still exchangeable. If they are, then the UK coins (and also the euro coins) are money in the bank.

I don't know what you were looking for when you searched these coins originally, but there appears to be a lot of value left.

Thank you, you've been a big help! I will sort through them again into lots, then post them as an auction. Ones that don't sell, I will donate to the school and they can do what they may :)

I meant to clarify - separate auction for each lot....