Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most Beautiful U.S. or World Coin Ever Minted — Image Post

Comments

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    Many great ones already posted... I've also always liked the French sower design... inspiration for our Walking Liberty Half/Silver Eagle design.

I like this rendering of Liberty...she is not posing; yet, working, and sowing seeds of truth.

Modern Liberty eats potato chips, watches games, and is beating chest for next theatrical fallacy from either chosen party...pathetic. We are fooked! Truly.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@crazyhounddog said:

What do you call this coin? It’s very pretty.

I call it the world's most beautiful coin™ :)

It's a 1932 Polish 10 Zloty. A 2-year type that features Queen Jadwiga (1373-1399) who was technically the first female king of Poland, and who was later made a saint.

Poland contracted with the London Mint to help produce the ~10,000,000 circulating examples of this piece. Their timing was terrible: Poland was suffering under a crushing depression in the early 1930s. And then Germany confiscated hard assets in occupied Poland just a few years later. The surviving examples saw unknown hardships.

Very few examples survive in mint state--way, way fewer than 1/10th of 1% would be my guess. The few uncirculated graded examples are most often 61s or 62s and are really lucky to get those grades.

But apparently London took it upon themselves to strike a few proof examples--either against Warsaw's wishes or entirely unbeknownst to them. The mint's records indicate 100 were struck. It's my belief that figure is either greatly inflated or that most examples were subsequently destroyed.

This is one of two proof examples known, and at PF65 it's the highest known.

No kidding...I have been shopping for a high grade Queen Jadwiga 10 Zloty for the longest time without any luck.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several posters here have underscored that when The King is a serious numismatist (in these cases, Victor Emanuel III of Italy), you are much more likely to get some very nicely designed coins.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it's a toss up between the Mercury Dime......Standing Quarter and Walker.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019 5:00AM

With all the beautiful world , ancient and commemorative US stuff, it sure is an impossible call.
    I always liked the 1928 Chinese 'Auto Dollar'.While certainly not particularly beautiful, it sure has a 'coolness' factor !
    I believe the car is a Packard........

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberia has a contender - just my "two cents" worth.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread delivers!

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stuart said:
    @Cardinal I agree that Benedetto Pistrucci’s St George Slaying the Dragon is one of the Most Beautiful Coin Designs.

I agree!

The one I posted was the designed and engraved by William Wyon, the artist that created the Una and the Lion coin.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breakdown, I can't argue with your choice.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design of the Maria Theresa thaler ... this one is of course a restrike with glorious toning.

But I think my all-time favorite is the British Gothic florin.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

"Most beautiful ever" is a tall order, and I've already posted, but speaking of Kings that were into coins, I've always been impressed with the quality out of the Royal Thai Mint.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

The symbolism is great too - the actual Pillars!

thefinn
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all who posted these Beautiful Coin Images to share with Fellow Forum Members!! 😁👍

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 2:28PM

It is a Medal, but hey, it is beautiful.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 2:38PM

@Weiss said:

@crazyhounddog said:

What do you call this coin? It’s very pretty.

I call it the world's most beautiful coin™ :)

It's a 1932 Polish 10 Zloty. A 2-year type that features Queen Jadwiga (1373-1399) who was technically the first female king of Poland, and who was later made a saint.

Poland contracted with the London Mint to help produce the ~10,000,000 circulating examples of this piece. Their timing was terrible: Poland was suffering under a crushing depression in the early 1930s. And then Germany confiscated hard assets in occupied Poland just a few years later. The surviving examples saw unknown hardships.

Very few examples survive in mint state--way, way fewer than 1/10th of 1% would be my guess. The few uncirculated graded examples are most often 61s or 62s and are really lucky to get those grades.

But apparently London took it upon themselves to strike a few proof examples--either against Warsaw's wishes or entirely unbeknownst to them. The mint's records indicate 100 were struck. It's my belief that figure is either greatly inflated or that most examples were subsequently destroyed.

This is one of two proof examples known, and at PF65 it's the highest known.

Thank you for that great information. I’ve seen this piece before but never did really know what it was other than a Polish piece. It’s very attractive.
    Edited to say that the slab sure doesn’t give up much information 😂
    Thanks again my brother

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    donjaludonjalu Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

Not a coin but minted by the sovereign Shawnee Tribe: Really nice features.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    This one ranks up there for me-

Definitely one of the most beautiful copper coins, puts our copper coins to shame.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is a contender

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as US coinage, these are three of my all-time favorite designs.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 11:33AM

Some stunningly beautiful coins have been posted in this thread.

Here is my contribution (even though it is a Pattern, I still consider it to be a coin).

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 2:32PM

Two of my faves.

We recently posted this topic on our blog.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 12:48PM

I know crazyhounddog already posted this one, but, whatever....
    My apologies, Dog!....But, hey!....I like it too!......The Most!

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fun thread to scroll thru...

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's got to be the Sailor Head patterns:

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 3:28PM

Between these two?

U.S.

WORLD

<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    This is a great thread. Books have been published on the topic of Coins as Art.

When it comes to moderns, this is is my owned nominee for most beautiful - itself a take off of the iconic 1907 High Relief in the OP's original post as well as St. Gauden's ultra high relief of smaller diameter.

I agree....

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

The Soviet Union made some nice coins. I don't own any of these though.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is nice 😊

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gothic Crown FTW...

(not my coin)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji