Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Church spires, candlesticks, and ... defecating donkeys?!? (oh my)

I don't collect paper currency, but if I did, I'd dabble in US fractional currency, or German notgeld. Especially the latter.

I really like these small sized notes. They often have beautiful scenes and bright colors.

This Uncirculated 5-piece set of 1921 notgeld notes from Paderborn are not so colorful as most - they're in black and white, with silhouetted designs - but they're still quite lovely. There are 25-, 50-, and 75-pfennig notes as well as 1- and 2-mark denominations here.

Most of them can be described as "lovely", anyway. Given the political and monetary instability of the time, many notgeld notes have political and satirical messages.

The 2-mark note in this set in particular has some irreverent commentary on the state of the currency, with cheeky verse and a picture to match.

This stuff could become habit forming. It is certainly budget-friendly. I think I spent more on the medium pizza I had for dinner last night than I did this set of notes.

Just bought a double-sided float frame with glass on both sides to display these in. Think they'll make a nice Father's Day gift for my dad, who is a scholar of this era.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments