Home Q & A Forum
Options

Color on Early Coppers

BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

I'm slowly putting together a Dansco half-cent album, and one of my goals for the album is to try to keep color and condition consistent throughout. Lighter browns pop more in the album, but I always get concerned about the originality of the surfaces. For example, I am currently trying to decide between these two 1834s in nearly identical condition. Does the color on the lighter one suggest that it has been washed or dipped, or is this in the standard range of colors for early coppers? Is one shade typically preferred to the other, or is it all just a matter of personal preference?

1934s

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the circulated and original copper I see is the dark brown. The color you choose for your set will be up to you. I think you'll have an easier task with the darker color. However, of the two, I prefer the bottom coin.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the color in the picture and in-hand can differ considerably.
    Good luck on the collection!!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Thanks Insider & Jim. I have both coins in-hand; the pictures are mine and the colors are accurate to the coins. My main concern was whether such a light brown shade was indicative of a non-original surface. I do agree that it would be easier to stay consistent with the darker shades, as I see about twenty of those for each one lighter-toned one.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Folks such as @Insider2 are much more expert than I, but I would think the lighter color could be a function of numerous factors such as storage environment, etc. So it could be a signal of non-original surface, but not definitive IMO. It sounds like we are all in agreement about darker shades being substantially more common.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown