Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

Carson Wentz agrees to 4-year extension with Eagles

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/carson-wentz-signs-fouryear-extension-with-eagles-233630425.html

Carson Wentz agrees to 4-year extension with Eagles

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a four-year contract extension with quarterback Carson Wentz.

The team announced the news Thursday afternoon. The deal will keep Wentz under contract through 2024.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the extension is for $128 million with more than $107 million guaranteed. The deal also includes escalators that can boost the value of the extension to $144 million, according to the report.

The deal is the largest guarantee for an NFL quarterback, eclipsing the $107 million deal Russell Wilson signed with the Seattle Seahawks.

Wentz responded to the deal on social media with a message about playing for β€œthe most passionate fans in the world.”

Comments

• Options

I'm tellin' ya...Buy all the Carson Wentz football cards you can.

Buy all the Carson Wentz football cards you can! :)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it....they just buried themselves in a below average QB made of glass.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know who you've been watching???? below average?????

I'll grant you that he has been injury prone, even in college, but he's always been a top QB when healthy.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Better than average but he will miss at least 4 games per season. Foles was the play.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    I don't know who you've been watching???? below average?????

I'll grant you that he has been injury prone, even in college, but he's always been a top QB when healthy.

Prescott is better and I don't consider him great......that's all.

• Options

Cowboys fans are hiding under their beds tonight. πŸ›οΈ

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

I just emailed this to the Eagles, told them a Cowboys fan posted it....bulletin board motivational material for Carson Wentz.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I just emailed this to the Eagles, told them a Cowboys fan posted it....bulletin board motivational material for Carson Wentz.

He'll need that and more. :D

• Options
    edited June 7, 2019 8:26PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

He'll need that and more. :D

All Carson needs is a football and DeSean Jackson = TD

Going to be a lot of empty seats at the Dallas Cowboys stadium in the fourth quarter when they play the Eagles.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little to early for the new make and model of the Wentz Wagon to be unvailed.
    I guess most of the d fences are accounted for and running at full speed with many highlites from tonight to show.
    Also a winner of 1000 dollars during the pay off pitch inning as per the HR (over the fence)
    The flash in the pan statement, I think I need a bigger fire hose.
    Keep the Reds close but keep the ( fill in the blank ) closer.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You better hang that bulletin board in the trainer's room so he'll see it. B)

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Grand Prairie,Tx.
    I heard a Texas Ranger pulled them down off, the tree (The Bulletin, bored,) to many copies not enough trees also.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

• Options
    edited June 7, 2019 11:15PM

thisistheshow and @DIMEMAN (I assume) both know that without a doubt the BOYS are going to be the winners of that legendary donnybrook which is also known as the NFC East.

Edited to add: I have told all of you before that I am a die hard Massachusetts sports fan who happened to move to the DFW ( Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex) area with my family almost fifteen years ago. As a huge sports fan and sports radio/media fan, I have adopted the Dallas teams as my second favorites. So I root for the Cowboys UNLESS they are playing the Patriots. When the Eagles beat the Pats in the SB, it just made the Cowboys/Eagles rivalry all that much better :D

• Options

Tom who?
    Patrick who?
    Cowboys quarterback who? (nobody even knows his name)

Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles, 2019 NFL season, MVP πŸ†

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t wait to revisit this conversation when either A- Wentz is out for the season with an injury or B- The Cowboys beat the Eagles and win the division. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. But seriously only a 4 year contract, that’s not a huge commitment.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Can’t wait to revisit this conversation when either A- Wentz is out for the season with an injury or B- The Cowboys beat the Eagles and win the division. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. But seriously only a 4 year contract, that’s not a huge commitment.

"The deal is the largest guarantee for an NFL quarterback, eclipsing the $107 million deal Russell Wilson signed with the Seattle Seahawks."

So what else would you suggest to make it become a "huge commitment?" πŸ™„

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    I never thought 2-3 years ago that he would not be rated as the 1st or 2nd best QB in the game ..... I think most folks have their doubts as of this moment except for the staunchest of Eagles fans.....

Well the Eagles management isn't stupid. They've obviously done all the physical tests possible on Carson Wentz, and came to the conclusion that he is well worth the risk moving forward.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

"The deal is the largest guarantee for an NFL quarterback, eclipsing the $107 million deal Russell Wilson signed with the Seattle Seahawks."

All i meant was they can destroy the franchise for 4 years, time wise that’s not too long πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ I don’t want to crap on your team Steve but they are rolling the dice

• Options

@1970s said:
    And there Wentz the Eagles chances of ever winning another Super Bowl.

They are LUCKY they got the 1 SB! :D

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Part of being considered great is availability. He can't get injured every year he plays.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Namath part 2?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

All i meant was they can destroy the franchise for 4 years, time wise that’s not too long πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ I don’t want to crap on your team Steve but they are rolling the dice

Signing any player in the NFL is a crap shoot to some degree. On any given play, any player could get injured and out for the season or even permanently.

The smart teams, such as the Eagles, take risks with the odds in their favor. Without a doubt, no question, no debate, signing Carson Wentz markedly places the odds better in favor of an Eagles winning another Super Bowl within the next four years, and possibly this upcoming season.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Signing any player in the NFL is a crap shoot to some degree. On any given play, any player could get injured and out for the season or even permanently.

The smart teams, such as the Eagles, take risks with the odds in their favor. Without a doubt, no question, no debate, signing Carson Wentz markedly places the odds better in favor of an Eagles winning another Super Bowl within the next four years, and possibly this upcoming season.

• Options

@steel75 said:
    Part of being considered great is availability. He can't get injured every year he plays.

No one can disagree with that.

However if Wentz stays healthy, the Eagles are right up there this season with the favorites to win the Super Bowl. I'm happy to take that chance. :)

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Sunday, November 17 New England Patriots 4:25 pm+ CBS

Paul, it would give me great pleasure to see a beautiful Eagles pic in your and Eric's avatar for a week. In the days before this game, I have a good feeling that we shall be able to successfully arrange for an avatar bet to take place. :)

• Options

@steel75 said:

Yes he can. It's called a career ending injury.

I am not hoping for Wentz to get hurt, but some players do and some players don't (or not as much).

A back injury can be very serious and never completely heal.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@MLBdays said:
    Eagles options were to cut bait and go in another direction or go extension a year earlier than they had to with Wentz on a 4 year deal..... 4 years is quite short~I agree with Perkdog ~ on a cornerstone QB like Wentz you sign him for longer than that but they have reservations with his health and last years lack of performance ... he didn't dazzle anyone last year who were yearning for Foles~ for the love of Nick.... Im 50/50 with Carson~ I can see success and under performance just as quickly. IF he is healthy and doesnt perform next year its not encouraging in the least. Evidently he has some issues with the locker room as well...so who knows?

<<< Eagles options were to cut bait and go in another direction >>>

There is no way that this was ever considered an option by the Eagles.

Of course eventually, this is an option with every team sports player. But considering the talent level and age of Carson Wentz, there was no "cut bait" option even considered, I would be quite sure of that.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@steel75 said:

I am not hoping for Wentz to get hurt, but some players do and some players don't (or not as much).

I guess you missed my point. We are on the same page. My point was because he gets hurt a lot, it's hard to considered "great". Eagles fans are on borrowed time with him it seems.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

They extended him now, before year 4, and before year 5 ( which they had him under contract through) for financial and probably psychological reasons.

All of the QBs now will be getting bigger and bigger money. It will be interesting to see in the future what happens when teams don't do this. One example that already happened was the Redskins. A lot of possible scenarios. The teams are pretty much hand-cuffed.

• Options

@steel75 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@steel75 said:

I guess you missed my point. We are on the same page. My point was because he gets hurt a lot, it's hard to considered "great". Eagles fans are on borrowed time with him it seems.

I wish him good health and luck (bad luck if he plays my Vikings ;-) ) he obviously has a lot of talent.

We agree to be considered "Great" he has to stay on the field and perform well.

• Options

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options

@1970s said:
    And after a few seasons of that, most Eagles fans will finally be doing this.

That's what McPuke was best at. :D

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

We shall see what happens with Wentz. He will be a full year removed from the surgery, and by all accounts, that type surgery takes that long to be back at 100%. He just has to learn, like all young QB's, that sometimes it's just better to get rid of the ball and go to the next play.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    We shall see what happens with Wentz. He will be a full year removed from the surgery, and by all accounts, that type surgery takes that long to be back at 100%. He just has to learn, like all young QB's, that sometimes it's just better to get rid of the ball and go to the next play.

I like Doug Pederson. I think he's already in the top tier of elite head coaches in the league, and has a chance one day to possibly be up there with the greatest of all time.

That being said, i have sharply criticized Pederson for using Wentz too much. Which I believe could have very possibly, if not likely, resulted in his injuries.

Wentz can practice all day long with his timing, etc with his receivers, especially his new receiver DeSean Jackson. That's fine. But starting right now, he should play in almost no pre-season games, perhaps one series at the most in a few games, and that's it. And every time the Eagles have an insurmountable lead in a regular season game, get him the yell out of there.

To me it's like a horse trainer with a fragile star thoroughbred. You don't work the horse to death when it's meaningless. You gently train the horse so that the horse performs when it counts - on race day. Pederson should do the same with Carson Wentz.

Wentz is smart, perhaps the smartest QB in the league. Tough although fragile. And has heart as good as any QB I've seen. Plus his undeniable talent. We've got a very possible Hall of Famer here who can win us more Super Bowls. So i would strongly say to Doug Pederson, don't f* it up!

• Options

Come on Steve...enough surup about Wentz. Best this and best that in the league. Right now he is no better than average.

He might be very good some day, but never elite. Earth to Steve..............Same with Pederson.......

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Come on Steve...enough surup about Wentz. Best this and best that in the league. Right now he is no better than average.

He might be very good some day, but never elite. Earth to Steve..............Same with Pederson.......

I wouldn't trade Wentz or Pederson for any other QB or head coach in the league.

Would I trade some other Eagles position players for better players on other teams? Of course. But not our QB or head coach.

And yes, that includes Brady and Belichick because of their age. I like Patrick Mahomes, but if Wentz stays healthy, i think Wentz offers a better chance than Mahomes to win Super Bowls.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I wouldn't trade Wentz or Pederson for any other QB or head coach in the league.

Would I trade some other Eagles position players for better players on other teams? Of course. But not our QB or head coach.

And yes, that includes Brady and Belichick because of their age. I like Patrick Mahomes, but if Wentz stays healthy, i think Wentz offers a better chance than Mahomes to win Super Bowls.

OMG ! Mahomes on his absolute worst day is better by far than Wentz on his absolute best day. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

OMG ! Mahomes on his absolute worst day is better by far than Wentz on his absolute best day. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence!

At the end of this NFL season, we shall see who is correct. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

And as far as QB/HC combo's.......the Cowboys have had 2 sets much better! Staubach/Landry & Aikman/Johnson. :);)

• Options
    edited June 9, 2019 11:36AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

And as far as QB/HC combo's.......the Cowboys have had 2 sets much better! Staubach/Landry & Aikman/Johnson. :);)

Had the wheel been invented yet that far back?

• Options

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚