Options

State internet tax vent

2»

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Move to Texas

That maybe an option when I decide to hang it up. If the current trends continue, I don’t want to be in CA on a fixed income with a lot of assets. I would be too easy of a target for the politicians to target. Too many of them in this state think that anyone who has any money can afford to “contribute” more to “help”.

Mike
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Bought a card for 1575.00 on ebay from Canada. One hundred dollars in tax. Eighty dollars to ship. Fifty five dollars in duty. 235.00 dollars extra. Boy, aren't I lucky. LOL.

Sorry to hear that. Your situation makes my original vent nothing really to gripe about. I will definitely be selective when it comes to purchasing higher priced cards. I would eagerly look forward to redeeming my eBay bucks in pursuit of high end buy it now cards that I needed. Now I may have to use the eBay bucks to cover the damn taxes instead of getting a nice discount. It sucks anyway you look at it.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    about the collection of sales tax via ebay.

Just what they are being used for.

We are the state of massive red tape and the gov't to regulate it. At the end of the year I am required to do a report.
    It takes me a full week (40 hours) I should mention a full week for state workers is 37 hours. What do they do with he report. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Pay a fine and lose your license if its not turned in on time every February 1st.
    Every year I listen to a one hour talk from a rep of this gov't agency and he apologizes for the requirement and they still are doing nothing with the reports. It costs taxpayers $ to pay for these state workers who collect these as well.
    I might add that efficiency companies that audit NYS say we have 50% too many state workers that make 50% more than they should. Most state workers will even admit to this and they do little to nothing all day long (it is important to paint a broad brush here as some are very efficient and deserve what they get). In the local paper a state worker was not liked by his superiors and put into a room and did nothing at all ZERO for 2 years at $100K/year. He finally complained as he was sick of looking out the window all day. My wife's brother makes $150K at a state agency that gives out tax money away. Building a new building and need new green energy aver window???? No problem where can we send the $100K check to. This money is going to private interests. Just makes me want to puke.
    In the last 6 years 4 of the 7 republican or democratic majority leaders of the state legislature have been convicted of corruption. Mainly for kickbacks on state bids they helped get the companies awarded or for setting up no show jobs to relatives. One long time politician and master of pork spending was convicted and the overturned due t loophole in the law. Apparently it's ok to get 2 million dollars for "consulting fees" as he is a lawyer and other bonuses

We are the Cadillac of welfare states. It so easy to get on and it pays the most than any other state.
    I go into these people's houses and it's a pig pen, They do nothing all day yet cannot even clean up their house. They all have money for tobacco, cell phones and cable tv. Welfare fraud is rampant. Many cannot speak English.

Our state legislators who are the highest paid in the union recently voted themselves a raise. Now they can make even more. Plus most have extra jobs. Such as consulting companies how to get state contracts. LOL. So many have been caught filing false expense reports it would make your head spin. Nothing happens to them as we have no ethics laws.

Out teachers make 40% more than 2nd place
    Our state workers are the highest paid.. Far more per capita than any other by far.
    Out police and fire companies are easily at $100K/year . They can retire in 20 years and their pensions are determined by the last 3 years. All work "overtime" to build up a nice big fat paycheck on the taxpayers.

I have to stop because I can write this crap until I am 100 years old. I can write all this but unless you "feel" it this makes no sense to others. Constant listening to state works all the time how they are not "workers" but employees
    and how much they make and how little they do all day. The papers and news constantly report unethical politician behavior but nothing ever changes. Those with their hands out are not going to take that yummy cookie jar away.

This cookie jar is so widespread that nobody has the power to fight it Those in power want to stay in power.
    Those within the system internally that try it fight it are crushed

So that 8% sales tax will just get sucked into the government spending black hole. I will now have to work even harder to stay even.

UNLESS YOU LIVE IN NY YOU CAN"T POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

You make a number of solid points.

The basic problem with all this taxation is the more the beast is fed, the hungrier it gets.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@DBesse27 said:

@Gilbey said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Pizza. You definitely forgot pizza

Bagels, nothing better than a NYC bagel.

NYC bagels are incredible. New York style pizza blows

I guess it would if you grew eating microwave pizza from 7/11

Or if you just hate ultra thin pizza.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:
    Good ol' taxes. "Yes, we will sell you this card, but we'll have to break your thumbs first".

Do they have internet tax in West Virginia yet?

I don't know. I live in North Carolina.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019 9:05AM

@stevek said:
    This type of taxation is theft.

Always escalating higher taxes have become death by a thousand cuts to the middle class. This internet tax is now another financial wound to the finances of middle class families.

Lots of good folks out there, especially the disabled, shut-ins, elderly, etc, and others who buy necessities online, are going to be noticeably harmed by this.

Sadly, the top priority of most state governments today isn't about helping their citizens succeed, but how much money they can fleece from them.

SPOT ON!

I'll be dead and gone when the young people figure out that their futures are destroyed when Social Security is bankrupt.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, I don't think a politician could get elected, at least not statewide, here in New Hampshire if he suggested implementing an income tax (on wages) or a sales tax.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Bought a card for 1575.00 on ebay from Canada. One hundred dollars in tax. Eighty dollars to ship. Fifty five dollars in duty. 235.00 dollars extra. Boy, aren't I lucky. LOL.

I would've cancelled the transaction.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Politicians have learned we are sick of higher taxes so now the trick is to impose a tariff on imports. The consumer pays more for the goods but in most cases the consumer has no idea they have just paid a different kind of tax.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis07 said:
    Politicians have learned we are sick of higher taxes so now the trick is to impose a tariff on imports. The consumer pays more for the goods but in most cases the consumer has no idea they have just paid a different kind of tax.

The big difference is that the new tariffs on imports are designed to protect American private sector jobs. Whereby this new state sales tax is designed to grow state government jobs.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Venting Again!
    I wanted to pick up a nice 1961 psa 9 I need for my registry set using the current eBay coupon. I decided not to make the purchase on eBay. The card I wanted was listed by 4sharpcorners who was having a sale on their website. Not only was the card $50 cheaper than eBay, I paid no sales tax and no shipping charge. Due to the NY internet tax I may have to use this option for higher priced cards.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with extra eBay bucks or a coupon, it’s almost always cheaper to buy directly on 4SC’s website.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    We could throw the tea into the harbor. :/

Throw the tea in there, but I'm not throwing in my baseball cards. ;)

People are soaking their baseball cards to bring in higher prices, and those higher prices can pay for those taxes. Actually, do not do that! :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    about the collection of sales tax via ebay.

Just what they are being used for.

We are the state of massive red tape and the gov't to regulate it. At the end of the year I am required to do a report.
    It takes me a full week (40 hours) I should mention a full week for state workers is 37 hours. What do they do with he report. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Pay a fine and lose your license if its not turned in on time every February 1st.
    Every year I listen to a one hour talk from a rep of this gov't agency and he apologizes for the requirement and they still are doing nothing with the reports. It costs taxpayers $ to pay for these state workers who collect these as well.
    I might add that efficiency companies that audit NYS say we have 50% too many state workers that make 50% more than they should. Most state workers will even admit to this and they do little to nothing all day long (it is important to paint a broad brush here as some are very efficient and deserve what they get). In the local paper a state worker was not liked by his superiors and put into a room and did nothing at all ZERO for 2 years at $100K/year. He finally complained as he was sick of looking out the window all day. My wife's brother makes $150K at a state agency that gives out tax money away. Building a new building and need new green energy aver window???? No problem where can we send the $100K check to. This money is going to private interests. Just makes me want to puke.
    In the last 6 years 4 of the 7 republican or democratic majority leaders of the state legislature have been convicted of corruption. Mainly for kickbacks on state bids they helped get the companies awarded or for setting up no show jobs to relatives. One long time politician and master of pork spending was convicted and the overturned due t loophole in the law. Apparently it's ok to get 2 million dollars for "consulting fees" as he is a lawyer and other bonuses

We are the Cadillac of welfare states. It so easy to get on and it pays the most than any other state.
    I go into these people's houses and it's a pig pen, They do nothing all day yet cannot even clean up their house. They all have money for tobacco, cell phones and cable tv. Welfare fraud is rampant. Many cannot speak English.

Our state legislators who are the highest paid in the union recently voted themselves a raise. Now they can make even more. Plus most have extra jobs. Such as consulting companies how to get state contracts. LOL. So many have been caught filing false expense reports it would make your head spin. Nothing happens to them as we have no ethics laws.

Out teachers make 40% more than 2nd place
    Our state workers are the highest paid.. Far more per capita than any other by far.
    Out police and fire companies are easily at $100K/year . They can retire in 20 years and their pensions are determined by the last 3 years. All work "overtime" to build up a nice big fat paycheck on the taxpayers.

I have to stop because I can write this crap until I am 100 years old. I can write all this but unless you "feel" it this makes no sense to others. Constant listening to state works all the time how they are not "workers" but employees
    and how much they make and how little they do all day. The papers and news constantly report unethical politician behavior but nothing ever changes. Those with their hands out are not going to take that yummy cookie jar away.

This cookie jar is so widespread that nobody has the power to fight it Those in power want to stay in power.
    Those within the system internally that try it fight it are crushed

So that 8% sales tax will just get sucked into the government spending black hole. I will now have to work even harder to stay even.

UNLESS YOU LIVE IN NY YOU CAN"T POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

I live in the Albany, NY area and in NY State all my life ....and everything said above is 100% accurate! I'm just waiting for the right time to get the hell out of here.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 11:06AM

@yankeeno7 said:
    I live in the Albany, NY area and in NY State all my life ....and everything said above is 100% accurate! I'm just waiting for the right time to get the hell out of here

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus and Florida, the home of no state tax.

Florida is pretty much the surrogate home from most New Yorkers anyway.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@yankeeno7 said:
    I live in the Albany, NY area and in NY State all my life ....and everything said above is 100% accurate! I'm just waiting for the right time to get the hell out of here

And Jersey boys like me lol
    Love it in FL!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@yankeeno7 said:

Will we all be following you around in sandals weird clothes? Better start growing your beard, Matt.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@yankeeno7 said:

And Jersey boys like me lol
    Love it in FL!

@yankeeno7 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@yankeeno7 said:

Will we all be following you around in sandals weird clothes? Better start growing your beard, Matt.

If you want but I'd recommend flip flops. You don't want to be labeled a crunchy hippie in Birkenstocks ya know.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2019 1:56PM

It affects the music industry.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    It affects the music industry.

Ha!