Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need ID help.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the newer coins fantasy pieces. Any value to them?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greenland and maybe China

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Greenland pieces are fantazy, and this kind of coins is just souvenir, not coins. You can find almost all territories, islands, tribes coins like these at the market now. It's just for fun, no collectible value at all. For example, set of coins like these in Russia you can buy for just 30-60 USD😁

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chinese coin is Chien Lung (1736-96) Board of Revenue mint in Beijing, worth about a quarter.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Chinese coin is Chien Lung (1736-96) Board of Revenue mint in Beijing, worth about a quarter.

Thanks,

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a German coin dealer that makes fantasy "coins" from odd, out-of-the-way countries, and markets them to OFEC collectors who are looking for coins from that country; your Greenland "coin" is from this source. Greenland, Niue, Easter Island and Darfur are just some examples of "circulation fantasy coins" put out by this mob.

The "North Pole" coin is one I haven't seen before. But it's equally unofficial.

The "Europ Ceros" series is one I haven't seen yet here in Australia, but a Google search for that phrase reveals they make fantasy "coins" for European countries not in the Eurozone, like Liechtenstein and the Faeroe Islands.

The Chinese coin is indeed Qian Long (the spelling is different from what SaorAlba stated, depending on which version of anglicization of Chinese characters you use, but the name is the same - SaorAlba used the same system that the Krause Catalogues still use). Your top pic is upside-down.

Qian Long cash coins are among the most common coins ever made on the planet; they made billions per year, from 20 or so different mints, over the entire lifetime of this emperor's sixty year reign. Mintage during the period 1782 to 1793 from the Board of Revenue Mint alone averaged over 900,000 strings per year (1 string = 1000 coins). So even though it's 200 years old, it's still dirt cheap.

There are minor stylistic differences in the shape of the characters that can narrow the date range down a little. For the specific variety of your coin, yours is a Type G1 (cast 1782-1795), East Branch privy mark - one of the more common varieties. Found in the Hartill catalogue as number 22.223.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)