Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Franklin Mint (FM) Dies Are Now Going For "Moon Money"

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always HATED the term "Moon Money" but perhaps that fits as just this week on eBay the dies (unused but diagonally cancelled) for a 1985FM Panama 100 Balboas went for $3,550. Seemed like a lot...A bit of touchup and they might be serviceable - hello Dan Carr - but have no idea of the legality of such.
This coin was never issued from these dies to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry about no picture as I was not able to figure out how to get the bay pics. I like the reverse design though!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 8:33PM

Here is the info for future reference. I don’t know about these but it seems fascinating.

Sold by seller “thumpa” and described as follows:

“Panama 100 Balboas Gold Proof 1985 Front&Back Die Franklin Mint Cancelled Never Struck. Pre Colombian art design depicted as had been done on these pieces since 79? Unique and in my opinion, the most interesting of the collection. Pedigreed to my late husband, Louis Hudson’s Panama Collection.

For whatever reason The Franklin Mint never Struck these commemorative proofs”

• tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

This seller has sold other Panama cancelled dies in the past month. A master hub front & back 1985 500 Balboas went for $4,550. Sorry, but I don't know how to post pictures.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks U1! Nice job. I wish they had struck these, a nice design.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.