Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anglo-Saxon newp (as we head into the summer doldrums and await the Summer ANA show)

COENWULF of MERCIA - Tribach Type Penny Gr.1.
Canterbury, Ethelmod. +COENVVLFREX around pelleted inner circle containing uncial 'm' /+ED/EL/MOD within angles of a tribach formed of two lines terminating in a hook, pellets within the angles.

Date: ca.797-805AD
Diameter: ca.19mm
Weight: ca.1.2g
Catalogue ref: S914, N342

[I've been eyeing this for a long time, and finally was able to get it at a good level.]

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice EVP - i really like this one - symmetrical shapes, even toning and sharp lettering.

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

great coin!!

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good EVP. You’re assembling quite a collection!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin from the early days of the Viking raids on Britain. Wouldn't you like to know the full history behind the survival of that coin in that condition?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys.

@291fifth said:
    Nice looking coin from the early days of the Viking raids on Britain. Wouldn't you like to know the full history behind the survival of that coin in that condition?

It was brutal then; not sure I'd have the stomach to know fully their travails.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 3:04AM

I blame you for spurring ME to make an Anglo-Saxon newp of my own.

Not of the same caliber as the stuff you've been posting, mind you, or remotely as nice as the Aethelred II penny I had... but it is my first sceat. I am pleased.

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=383486

I like the ouroboros on both sides. Cool detail, and cool word.

I also like that the coin might have been struck in Essex, where I went on my 2013 detecting trip (thanks to the encouragement and assistance of many forum members). I had hoped to dig something like that over there. I didn't- the oldest coin I found was an Edward I penny that was "only" 700 years old- but that trip was literally the adventure of a lifetime for me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019 3:12AM

Now you just need the gold Coenwulf penny to round out your collection, right? :p

If you pay for my plane ticket, I'll stand outside the British Museum and set off some firecrackers to divert the guards' attention, while you go in and get it... ;)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan,

Nice pickup for that price level. Very wholesome coin.

Here are my SCBC 777 and 777A, which sadly cost me a lot more than yours did you:

@lordmarcovan said:
    Now you just need the gold Coenwulf penny to round out your collection, right? :p

If you pay for my plane ticket, I'll stand outside the British Museum and set off some firecrackers to divert the guards' attention, while you go in and get it... ;)

I'm too old to risk going on the lam for a coin, even the SP64 1794 dollar!