Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

70s commons becoming less submitted?

Over the last decade I have been working on high grade raw baseball sets from 1973,1974,1976 and 1978. Sometimes I would purchase PSA 9 commons from these sets and crack them out when available and affordable.

I’ve been looking at graded 1974 commons on eBay lately and it seems there are nowhere near as many PSA 9s available as there used to be. Almost all are from jasports2013 and bsatttu and were graded years ago.

It would make sense given turnaround times and higher grading fees that submitting such cards is no longer worth it. If that is the case I hope nice raw cards will become more plentiful at shows like the good ol’ days.

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 8:10AM

Ironically, I just got back 74 Topps Stottlemeyre and Sal Bando last weekend from a bulk sub. Both graded 9's and currently on Ebay. ;)

Edited to add-- I purchased the remnants of a 74 Topps set from someone who purchased it from the original owner, who had assembled the set from vending back in the 70's. All of the stars were missing and from what I could see, anything that could possibly get a 10 but they are razor sharp. I pulled these two from that set. It's just sitting here collecting dust.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big part of it is the price point. It used to be non low pop PSA 9s from these sets would routinely sell for under $10. That doesn’t seem to happen too often anymore for obvious reasons.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's mainly price point. With many PSA 9 commons selling for under $10, it's just not worth submitting them. Anything I submit that's worth $15 or less in a 9 has to be a slam dunk 9 in my view, though that doesn't mean PSA will always see it that way too.

A good portion of the 9s that have already been graded are parked in sets in people's collections or are just not being listed. I have a few thousand 1970s PSA graded duplicates that I haven't bothered listing because the price point means a lot of work for me to get little monetary benefit.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    81 Donruss is picking up.

He said 70s and didn't mean Donruss, I am sure...

• Options
    bsavagebsavage Posts: 204 ✭✭

I am actually bsatttu on Ebay. Like others have said, I think it just isn't worth the cost of sending in common '70s cards anymore.

I used to have between 700 and 1000 '74s listed, but I never sent a one of them in. I just got them from other collections that I bought. Particularly a collection that had a complete PSA set. I think they were all 8s and 9s. Anyway, if I have any left that you still need, just ping me. I can do a little better on price here.