Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 1953 25 cent. Is this a die break or a die clash?? or some other mint error?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this silver quarter in a small collection. First I thought it is simply another silver quarter for the bullion bucket.
However, a closer look revealed something else.
But what is it??
I have tried Acetone. No reaction even after a good soak. it is not any kind of fatty stuff or plastic or wax etc. it does not come off even tried a Q-tip with a drop of dip. It stays the same. there is a very slight incline visible on its "track" when it is enlarged. It nearly extends around the coin.
any ideas or solutions?
Thanks everybody, I hope someone can help.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your talking about the lines around the caribou that is a stain.

• Options
    edited June 4, 2019 7:43AM

Respectfully, I like to disagree with you for now.
    IT is probably not a stain, perhaps looks like a stain but is not. That was my original and first thought also.
    I tried simple warm and hot water with Ivory soap, tried a fine toothbrush, tried an acetone soak, tried gasoline, tried a Q-tip with some jewelry cleaner. tried W-40. It did not come off.
    I guess there is Goo-Gone still left to be tried. OR a complete dip.
    It does have a very tiny ridge and is not incuse.
    But, since it is still a mystery for me, WHAT kind of stain could it possibly be, going from the antlers down through the neck up back to the antlers. it would have to be some kind of stain material that is resistant to all the above treatments. Acid or chemicals of some type??/ it would have run off all the Valleys and mountains and left other traces....
    I will soak it in WD 40 for a day and we shall see what happens...its not an expensive coin and silver will not be destroyed doing so.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, a stain. However, since it is not a clash, and you are positive it is not a stain, perhaps the piece is overstruck on something.

You have the coin. If the discoloration is ON and NOT INTO the surface, it is probably a stain. The planchet may have been that way.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears as if there are numerous stains on other areas of the coin, along with some heavy toning. It wouldn't surprise me if the coin had been dipped at one time to remove the heavy toning. The stains are probably left over from whatever chemical reaction caused the original toning, or from the original dip that wasn't rinsed completely. The ridge you're referring to looks like it may be incuse in the photos. If there was some chemical reaction that originally caused the dark, heavy toning, it could have etched the area you see. Also, remember that the alloy is
    80%Ag/20%Cu, so that could have contributed to the etched/stained surface.

Regardless, it does not look any type of mint produced error. There are numerous ways for a coin to be damaged, but only a limited number of ways an error or variety can occur. Instead of saying "I can't explain how this damage occurred, therefore it must be an error", try to explain how the error occurred. It's obvious it isn't a clashed die

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I think this is an intrinsic metallic inclusion. Or in plain speak, the silver mix was off and exhibits inconsistent surface texture. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Ok , Thank you all for your input...
    In the silver bucket it goes....after it comes out from a WD40 bath over night... just to see what happens.
    as a minimum it is worth about $3 :)