Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

True Numismatic Weekend Stories - hopefully to become a long running thread.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy reading/hearing stories about or told by famous numismatists about the way things were in the "good-old-days" (1950's - 1990's). I wish much of them could be collected and published sort of as a famous stamp dealer did in his book Nassau Street.

In the May 2019 Numismatist there is an interview with dealer Harry Foreman that was not published when he was alive. It is a great read! I apologize for not citing the interviewer here as my magazine is gone. Mr. Forman had some amusing stories and without that interview, they would have been lost. The story of the first time Mr. Forman met Amon Carter is classic. I could not do it justice by trying to relate it here. Perhaps I'll try later.

Tom Delorey is one of my favorite posters as he often writes the behind the scenes stories about coins we would never know. There are a few others too.

I'm begging all the old timers here to PLEASE TELL US A TRUE STORY from your past dealings. Hopefully, you'll have time on the weekends. DON'T BE MODEST! I'll have a few at some point.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny you mentioned Harry.

As a 18-21 year age coin collector i use to hustle ( sell coins ) for Harry Forman at coin shows. He always set up at shows and he would let me peddle his coins on the bourse floor. He was always always fair in paying me a commish at the end of the day.

Great guy!

I learned alot selling on the floor and just talking coins with him .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Funny you mentioned Harry.

As a 18-21 year age coin collector i use to hustle ( sell coins ) for Harry Forman at coin shows. He always set up at shows and he would let me peddle his coins on the bourse floor. He was always always fair in paying me a commish at the end of the day.

Great guy!

I learned alot selling on the floor and just talking coins with him .

This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

The ANA in DC was my first big coin show. I was in my twenties and working at the Smithsonian (pre-coin authenticator days). Going down an escalator two young boys were each counting large wads of cash. I cautioned them about flashing money and saw they also had coins. They told me that dealers would give them coins to sell and they could keep any money over what he wanted. Later, after the ANA, I did that for several local dealers at our local shows. I didn't learn much but the money was really good.

I had some contact with Mr. Forman on several occasions. My best story about him was about something I did. He had a blazing gem headlight 1926 Sesqui 50c in his case but the original uncleaned coin had some hairlines. I bought it for $50 planning to let it tone so they would not be visible.

The best way to learn how to detect AT is to learn how it is done and what it looks like. I planned to use this coin as a learning experience. Dumb. Anyway, I placed it in my wall oven (gas pilot flame) on a dish with a ring of powdered sulfur at the edges of the dish. I forgot all about the coin. Several months later, after using the broiler several times to make steak (I rarely ever used the oven) I happened to open the oven. There in the center of the dish was my coin with a caked-on, dull, steel-gray crust! :'(

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hairlines no longer visible. Plan worked.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!