Home Sports Talk
Options

The Most Athletically gifted MLB player I ever saw was......Who is yours??

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2019 9:41PM in Sports Talk

Eric Davis...he was a majestic jaguar. A Michael Jordan of baseball with his height, speed and fierceness. HE even looks like Jordan.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to imagine anyone more athletic than Vincent Edward Jackson

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 7:27AM

Craig Knows

I can't agree more

Mickey Mantle was 5'11" 195 LBS and could run to first base in 3.1 seconds and hit a baseball that wasn't juiced like today 565 FT

Dave Winfield drafted in 4 sports

Jim Thorpe as per the king of Finland "sir you are the greatest athlete in the world."

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 7:54AM

Good point on Winfield, didn't think of him.

I never saw Mantle or Thorpe play. I thought OP wanted only players you saw or I would agree Mantle was a very top tier athletic talent

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deion

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kirby Puckett made some fantastic catches to rob guys of home runs. That was pretty impressive.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neon Deion & Bo Jackson

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Craig

I did see Thorpe run

I should mention I am 131 years old

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

One who is underrated would be Carlos Beltran.
    His speed when he broke in with KC was amazing.
    He never really got the credit he deserved but he could run down balls in center field with the best of them.
    Check out his stolen base percentage, probably one of the best percentages of all time.

Of course he lost most of that speed in the later stages of his career, but in his prime he was very athletically gifted.

I would vote for Bo at number 1 however.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 2:23AM

There is a reasonable disconnect here in that there is a fine line between being gifted and athletic. In terms of gifted, I was able to see Ted Williams in a Washington Senators uniform as a manager in 1969. He without question was the most gifted. As for the most athletic...I would rather not make a choice mainly because that is a question that just cannot be answered based on stats or a subjective impression...And having written that, I suspect the candidates may easily exceed 100 and may not even be a name recognized by many .

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rickey Henderson gets my second vote.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Tim Raines.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never really "got" Bo Jackson. I suppose as an athlete he was extraordinary, but his choice to be good in two sports instead of to excel in one always puzzled me. it is similar to Danny Ainge, pretty good in two sports instead of trying to be superior in one. both athletes, very gifted, only highlight to me what makes Major League Baseball so special: it has such incredible skill required in specific areas that most players who try the game cannot succeed.

look what the game did to Michael Jordan.

BTW, I know I'll catch some flack from those who like Jackson but his stats aren't really that good. he is sort of a symptom of what's being discussed in another thread, power and strike-outs. he just wasn't very disciplined. although he had power when he hit the ball, that wasn't very often: his BA was only .250 and he struck-out once every third time to the plate. why do we worship such mediocrity??? there are literally dozens of current players, probably over 100, who are better at the plate than Bo Jackson ever was.

he may have been gifted per se, but I think his ego got the better of him and he squandered his gift, eventually losing it to injury.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is not a question that Bo would have been a better NFL RB than a Baseball player

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe this guy, Josh Hamilton

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's not there yet, and may never be, but Byron Buxton has unbelievable speed and is an incredible fielder. He also has good to very good power.

Keep an eye on this guy. If he can stay on the field and gets a little better at the plate, he will be a superstar!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

keets, I saw a lot of Bo's at bats, and it was hard to watch.
    Way too many K's.
    I do think if he had just picked baseball and quit football his stats would have improved,

But as far as just pure athleticism, I think he was without peer.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 9:53AM

If you watch the Bo Jackson "30 for 30" you'll get the gist of who he was. He probably could have been an Olympic gold decathlete had he chosen to. He already was as good a running back in the NFL as anyone....and he reported a couple years late. He didn't want to play for the team that drafted him. So he went to baseball. Simple as that. No doubt his skills eroded somewhat. He didn't squander anything. His football injury was a freak accident that disjointed his hip, cutting off the blood flow. And his own unyielding power made it worse. He popped it back into place on his own right on the field. Crazy. Check it out.

His athletic feats are absurd. Strength, speed, power, jumping ability all at 235 lbs. He high jumped 6' 8" in college. He really could have done anything in sports. His baseball skills in college were raw, but outstanding. Running sideways at full speed on the outfield wall always shocks me. The best baseball players of that era were in awe of his skills and talent. Yeah, too bad about the football injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYstQtYAweQ

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Maybe this guy, Josh Hamilton

Quoting my own post to expand my thought. I watched a lot of Josh on TV and some live. Insane athleticism plus talent. So many demons. Plus he was never as good or regained form, in my opinion and if I remember correctly, after he threw a fan a ball and the fan fell to his death trying to catch it.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2019 5:00PM

roadrunner- nice post.
    If I remember correctly, the Tampa Bay Bucs drafted Bo, but he had told them not to because he said he
    would never play for them.
    The reason? When he was in college at Auburn, Tampa Bay invited him to come for a visit. Bo was worried
    that it might affect his eligibility for his senior season at Auburn, but Tampa Bay assured him it was within
    NCAA rules. Well he made the visit and the NCAA declared him ineligible for his senior baseball season at
    Auburn.
    I think Bo admitted he should have checked with Auburn school officials before he made the visit, but
    I guess he trusted Tampa Bay. Bo claimed by lying to him, Tampa Bay was trying to get him to give up baseball.
    Bo really sounded hurt that he had to miss his senior season of baseball, he was really looking forward to it.

Edited to add: I'm actually not sure if Bo stayed all four years at Auburn or left early, but in any case if he
    left early just replace 'senior season' with 'last season' in above post. ;)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo had HOF talent at the RB position and had he not gotten hurt may very well have gone down as one of the best backs of all time. He had power and explosiveness and speed to burn. He was an amazing player and it's a shame he suffered that hip injury which ended his career way too prematurely.

He wasn't as refined as a baseball player, struck out too much but he had tremendous power and was an outstanding outfielder with as much athletic ability as anyone on the field.

Deion Sanders was a terrific 2-way player, too, who was also a better football player than baseball player but Bo was special and at running back, played a position that was more prominent than the one Sanders played.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

Quoting my own post to expand my thought. I watched a lot of Josh on TV and some live. Insane athleticism plus talent. So many demons. Plus he was never as good or regained form, in my opinion and if I remember correctly, after he threw a fan a ball and the fan fell to his death trying to catch it.

Not quite. That happened in 2011. He had a monster first half in 2012, hitting 27 homers before the All-Star break. He then quit chewing tobacco and his game went in the tank. I saw a game in Texas in late August 2012 and the fans booed him. A lot. He finished went with 43 homers that year, 5th in the MVP. The Rangers made the playoffs and there was a play where Hamilton missed a popup. After that, he was poison in Texas and signed a deal with the Angels.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2019 11:20PM

@Tabe said:

@thisistheshow said:

Not quite. That happened in 2011. He had a monster first half in 2012, hitting 27 homers before the All-Star break. He then quit chewing tobacco and his game went in the tank. I saw a game in Texas in late August 2012 and the fans booed him. A lot. He finished went with 43 homers that year, 5th in the MVP. The Rangers made the playoffs and there was a play where Hamilton missed a popup. After that, he was poison in Texas and signed a deal with the Angels.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I was getting his timeline jumbled. I remember the tobacco incident now. He always had some personal drama. But he was amazing there for a stretch. The four homer game stands out. He was thisclose to being a WS hero.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, ridiculously talented guy who just couldn't get of his own way.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

there's no question. Bo Jackson was just so dominating in both sports.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Zupcic.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2019 2:55PM

@jay0791 said:

Dave Winfield drafted in 4 sports

Actually, Dave was drafted by teams in 4 different leagues, in 3 sports:

NFL - Minnesota Vikings
    NBA - Atlanta Hawks
    ABA - Utah Stars
    MLB - San Diego Padres

Steve