Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around 2008 or so, 100% legit. By 2016, a lot of fakes started showing up with the holo w/rumor at the time being a former agent stole a bunch of the holos.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Around 2008 or so, 100% legit. By 2016, a lot of fakes started showing up with the holo w/rumor at the time being a former agent stole a bunch of the holos.

Is there anyway to tell if they were signed before 2009? Must be why these jerseys sell so cheap if they are fakes.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that I'm aware of, so the brand is tainted. Some may be good, others unknown, but without secondary authentication at this point, assume bad.

@LarkinCollector said:
    Not that I'm aware of, so the brand is tainted. Some may be good, others unknown, but without secondary authentication at this point, assume bad.

I see. Thanks for the info. So, I assume PSA will not grade these. No wonder why there are so many on ebay. People probably purchase them and send to PSA only to get returned ungraded. Then ask for a return on ebay. So sellers are stuck with these worthless jerseys.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI, the jersey itself is a bootleg. No comment on the autograph.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sticker sure looks like it has been through the wringer. I would stay away

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@Tabe said:
    FYI, the jersey itself is a bootleg. No comment on the autograph.

Very funny. Most signed jerseys are bootlegs. As long as they look real im cool with the jerseys. Its the signatures that matter.

edited June 1, 2019 6:03PM

As a jersey collector, it bugs me. It's like having his autograph on a fake 52 Topps. Not to mention he never wore that style of jersey anyway :)

But if it works for you, go for it. Seriously.

@Tabe said:
    As a jersey collector, it bugs me. It's like having his autograph on a fake 52 Topps. Not to mention he never wore that style of jersey anyway :)

But if it works for you, go for it. Seriously.

The only thing that bothers me if the player didn't wear that style of jersey.

Yeah, I hate that, too.

• I have been collecting Mays autographs since 1985. I have met him on two occasions at shows, which was an adventure in its own right, but overall he was nice to me, but not to others. There are a ton of his autographs on eBay of late, and I’m leery. That is not to say that they are all bad, because I’m not qualified to make that determination. However, Willie Mays can’t see very well, coupled with his age, you would think his autographs would be shaking etc. I see a lot of them on Commissioner Manfred balls that appear very smooth. Further, at shows Willie would charge a fortune to add an inscription, and all I see are baseballs with multiple inscriptions selling for $50. I just wanted to weigh in. I trust JSA, Beckett and PSA DNA, as the true arbiters.

• brianjudebrianjude Posts: 3
    edited August 8, 2021 1:54PM

As a follow up to my previous post, it appears that a lot of eBay customers now have shied away from the Say Hey Authentic Hologram Autographs, as I see items not being bid on as much as in previous years or not bidding at all. Also, the prices are so low from peak times of years gone by. I think with the current inventory being listed every week, and Willie not doing any public shows for a while now, it is definitely curiosity at its best. Like I stated, Willie is getting older, his sight is challenged, and a lot of Manfred Baseballs appearing, that do not look like a 90 year olds signature, simply stated it’s not adding up. Once again, I defer to the Third Part experts for the final verdict. In closing, buyer just be aware and ask the sellers many questions on provenance.

• brianjudebrianjude Posts: 3
    edited August 8, 2021 2:10PM

Furthermore…… From what I have read over the years, and hearing stories from those in the hobby, Willie Mays traditionally never liked signing autographs for fans or others, unless it was for money at a show etc., so with a glut of Say Hey Authentic Holograms on autographs in circulation of late, they seems very interesting.

• Look on the tag.... It shouldn't say made in Vietnam