Home Q & A Forum
Options

PVC Damage ? Worth grading ?

Bought as an "uncirculated" Indian. Appears circulated and environmentally dmg'd. Thanks in advance !

Virginia Beach, VA
Collector, Buyer, Seller, Licensed Dealer
U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are absolutely correct! Good eye!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn’t grade with the damage; would just be called authentic 97 something.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

List of PCGS no grade codes and why: https://www.pcgs.com/grades/

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 11:19AM

Black spots, green spots, hairlines from cleaning, funky color. They could nuke this on a number of levels.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    List of PCGS no grade codes and why: https://www.pcgs.com/grades/

I understand the Sheldon scale....just covering my bases as I've never actually received an "uncirculated" coin with green PVC goo. It will be returned to seller

Virginia Beach, VA
    U.S. Silver & Gold coins, Foreign Coins, Bullion, Mint/Proof Sets, Currency, Antiques, Collectibles

• Options
    va_resellersva_resellers Posts: 101 ✭✭

As we all know grading is not cheap and also requires patience and potential disappointment. I'm fairly new to collecting and grading submissions so I appreciate the feedback.

Virginia Beach, VA

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 6:59PM

@va_resellers "I'm fairly new to collecting and grading submissions so I appreciate the feedback."

To avoid potential disappointment you should stick with coins that are already graded.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take your IHC to a dealer or a coin show and compare it to a true graded IHC. This is how we learn. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall