Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan Rookie Card Real?

ChrisP1523ChrisP1523 Posts: 14

Hey,
can anybody tell me if that Card looks real? i know the photos are not the best but they are the only ones i got.
and if it is real what you guys think it would be graded? is an 8 possible? thanks for the help. !

Comments

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, looks bad

• Options

thanks but can you tell me why?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I agree ... front looks like a common reprint on eBay

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just the blurry picture, but I don't see the lines on the basketball on the back lower right corner. I think we would need a better picture to know for sure.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    Jimmy_CommonpantsJimmy_Commonpants Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

I'd be 98% confident its a reprint.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

So where did you get the card or may get the card from?

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Its a counterfeit fake, not a reprint card.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top and bottom borders are way too wide. Edges appear way too clean. Several other indicators as well from the poor picture.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 11:47AM

Hiya Chris

Wish you had provided a better scan/pic of the card.

Why deemed fake?

For one - let's look at the "black" line...

yours:

While of poor quality - one can see that the line breaks down into "printing dots" - a sure fire way to know it's a fake.

this one:

notice how the line appears more "solid?"

Also, on the back bottom - the reprints/fakes tend to be weakly printed - such that the "C" in copyright can barely be seen - again - if well scanned - I would see the tell tale print dots instead of a solid line in the print and "C" e.g.

I'm going on memory on this and other "tell tale" facts since I have no idea where my Counterfeit Detector books are?

To add: the Logo

Note on your with a loupe - how poor the quality is and "Premier" will break down to print dots also compared to my e.g.

Mike
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

I've always heard that 50/50 centered Jordan rookies are almost always fake.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 1:18PM

@dontippet said:
    I've always heard that 50/50 centered Jordan rookies are almost always fake.

Sure, if ungraded this could be a better than 50% guess, but last year at the national someone bought a raw jordan from a dealer and then graded it with PSA....It became a PSA 10. So, I wouldn't just purely assume if it is centered that it is fake. There are some definitive ways of telling real vs fake--some shared here and others may or may not be known by many. The websites where real vs fakes are shown typically never show everything because then the counterfeits would add that to the next release.

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Send better pics of the Fleer logo, the front nameplate, the Bulls logo on the back, and the NBAPA logo on the back.

• Options
    edited June 1, 2019 4:13PM

Just wanted to add this book - I believe there's 2 iterations?

Counterfeit Detector - back in the early 90s without the net/forums etc. - this book was groundbreaking.

Mike
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 4:27PM

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I am certain that one way to tell is to take the card into a dark room and place the card over the top of a flashlight. If the light shines through it is a fake. It the card blocks the light then it is probably real.

If you try it, please post pictures so people can see it. I have seen it before on a fake and a real card.

Shane

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

You can get good at spotting fakes by buying a graded original.. then buy some chap reprints listed as such. Compare the quality at the fakes will soon stand out like a sore thumb.

• Options

Tho Chris's pics were on the blurry side, I believe that the border lines - instead of being solid - appear to be print dots - tell tale of a copy?

Mike