Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with taking pictures of coins through 2x2s

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me figure out what equipment I need to take nice pictures of coins through 2x2s . I can get decent pictures but am just looking for some advice on this. My issue is I dont know of I should be using a light box or what sort of lights to use or what sort of lens and all that kind of stuff.

Right now I am using a canon rebel camera with macro lenses.

Thanks for any help!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the coins out of the 2x2's to photograph!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you must keep a coin in a 2x2 all you can do is move the lighting until there isn't a glare.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can buy some new 2x2's and a stapler and some pliers. Then the pictures will be much better.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of staples are damaged in the attempt to remove coins from 2X2s. Please be cautious.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Lots of staples are damaged in the attempt to remove coins from 2X2s. Please be cautious.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

So there is no way to do this through 2x2s and get high quality photos is what everyone is saying? I have no choice but to take them out?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    So there is no way to do this through 2x2s and get high quality photos is what everyone is saying? I have no choice but to take them out?

There is no consistently good way to do it. One of the biggest issues is glare. But you will also have the problem of stress lines in the mylar window, slight discoloration, possibly focus problems. The white background will also make some coins look too dark, especially copper.

Given they cost about 3 or 4 cents each, there is no good reason to shoot through the 2x2 unless it is a $1 coin and you don't want to spend any more time than necessary taking photos.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want high quality pics then, yes you need to take them out of their 2x2'S.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:

Drop the “?” and put a “.” in your two sentences and you’ve answered your own question.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I take photos of coins in 2x2's all the time with no issue. I use indirect lighting - two tensor lamps bounced off a mirror. Camera is an old Nikon 995 with a macro lens

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second what everyone else is saying. Even if you somehow manage an OK photo, it will not be a great photo. Just watch out for the staples.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 7:12PM

I would gently take out the staples by opening the flaps the push staple out gently. Take pictures and staple back on in same holes as first used. Then use this to cover the staples once properly replaced

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

See

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 7:17PM

Or get one of these: Standard Flat Clinch Type Stapler #HD-50F

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can get decent images with coins in 2x2's but you may have to deal with some glare on the mylar. I have a camera with macro on a sturdy copy stand and a CFL in a reflector on goosenecks one on each side. I try to have the lights as close to the lens axis as possible and make minor adjustments to minimize the mylar reflections. This image was a bit over exposed (hot spots). I agree that better quality images can be made with the coins out of the holders, but then every decision is a compromise, right?

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I would say that kaz made a darn good picture in a 2x2.
    One way to get coins out of a 2x2 easily is to carefully poke a wooden toothpick thru the mylar at the edge of the coin. Once you get it started it will rip and you can pop the coin out.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:

Unless you are as skilled as @kaz and can photograph in the 2x2 I would NEVER take a coin out of the holder by removing the staples in any way. @Icollecteverything has the proper method imho.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 9:05PM

take the coins OUT of the 2x2
    simple as that..., unless you wish to show plastic reflections...and staples...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a joke, right? Like, can someone give me advice how to shoot high quality pix through a zip-loc storage bag?

C'mon. Remove the coin and shoot it. It's not like the 2x2 is an old NGC fattie.
    Lance.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are shooting small coins, a second potential issue with 2x2s (besides the glare) is that the coin may be tilted within the holder.
    This can happen in older holders where the mylar has shrunk a little.
    As a result, one edge of the coin may be out of focus while the other is in focus.
    When the Steve Crain half dime collection was photographed, there were 987 coins,
    and often they were left in the original 2x2.
    Sometimes this resulted in part of the coin being out of focus when another part was in focus.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    This is a joke, right? Like, can someone give me advice how to shoot high quality pix through a zip-loc storage bag?

C'mon. Remove the coin and shoot it. It's not like the 2x2 is an old NGC fattie.
    Lance.

I assumed he was talking about low value coin in a 2x2 that was loaded with all the writing on it. Some are not good at writing or if you don’t have more flips to put it back into. Agree with toothpick method otherwise. But you have to admit my answer took more creative though and include thumb for the Doctor to analyze;)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I usually come up with. Basically all I shoot is Mercury Dimes though.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file