Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipping Costs

comicsandcigarscomicsandcigars Posts: 9

Hi Sellers,
New to BB Cards and Im purchasing lots left and right. After I weed out the gems, I plan to sell the commons pretty cheap.
Can cards be shipped media mail? If not how much does it cost to ship say 1000 cards NY to CA?
Any help appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 7:03AM

Unless something has changed, my experience has always been that sports cards can not be shipped via media mail.

As for shipping heavy packages from CA to NY, your best bet is probably a USPS regional rate Box A which are free, and can be shipped to you for free from the USPS website if your local USPS location does not have them in stock. You can put up to 15 pounds inside them, and sending that from CA to NY is a little over $11 (possibly cheaper if the label is bought through paypal shipping).

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Media Mail is a big no no for everything from Sports Cards to Comics. About 7 years ago I pissed off my local post office postmaster a bunch thanks to media mail. I would ship out a ton of packages every week of comics I was selling and the lady who would always help me at the counter kept suggesting I use media mail. I kept telling her no thanks I am pretty sure that isn't allowed. After a couple months of her bringing this up every time I decided to ship out around 8 packages via media mail. I dropped them off to her and she was like sure no worries. 2 days later I got a nasty letter from the postmaster telling me not to ever ship comics in this manner and they upped the postage to priority mail on all the packages with them being tagged to collect the difference in postage upon delivery from my buyers. Was a complete cluster. The funniest thing about it was only 3 of the 8 packages did the mailman on the buyer side of it actually try to collect the difference in postage, the other 5 just delivered them anyway.

• Options

ok thanks $11 isnt too bad i guess and thats worst case scenario, a closer region will be cheaper. thanks for your help.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Your cheapest bet is to use the Flat rate boxes. Same rate if you ship cards or a box of rocks.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

@steel75 said:
    Your cheapest bet is to use the Flat rate boxes. Same rate if you ship cards or a box of rocks.

Over 15 pounds yes, but under 15 pounds the best is the regional rate Box A.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

How much does 1000 cards weigh though. Any idea?

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2019 12:42PM

@steel75 said:
    How much does 1000 cards weigh though. Any idea?

Probably 6 or 7 lbs in two 500 count BCW storage boxes (give or take).

Edited to add - I used modern Topps Heritage cards which are thicker and heavier, so vintage cards would be even less.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

If you can find a box (or two) to fit inside a flat rate bubble mailer it will get your shipping down to under $8

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY