Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sometimes you have to ask the old man behind the counter if he has anything else interesting....

As you may know, I am mainly a football collector, however I can never pass up and interesting item I may stumble across.

I lived in Detroit during 1994-95 and was huge Grant Hill fan until he betrayed us for Orlando.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Cool find. I'm guessing you got a good deal on it.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Betrayed” lol

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

How ya doin, how ya been?
    What’s new, what’s old & what else?
    That’s my LCS protocol greeting
    I’ve found that some of the best goods are not on display

Nice pickup!

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 6:56AM

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 4:41PM

I have no idea what they look like?

Hope you got a good price?

Planning to open? If so. Looking forward to seeing.

I do remember opening some basketball product that year but not sure what?

Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this slumming around some old coin shops around town. Some of my best finds have been from old coin dealers. A lot of them got into cards during the boom and never came back after the crash. They don't display cards or even cases anymore so you actually have to talk to the shopkeeper, a foreign concept in modern shopping.

I got it for a fair price, i don't know if there is a premium for a sealed case. I need to pull out my 10 year old Basketball Annual Beckett to see what is in the set.

and Yes Grant Hill betrayed the Pistons fans. He kept telling the media how much he loved Detroit and respected Joe Dumars and wanted to sign a new contract. Literally at 12:01 AM at the start of free agency Hill signed with Orlando. The only blessing is that we got Ben Wallace and Chuck Atkins for him in a sign and trade.

Mike
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 6:28PM

Mike, it’s not that I don’t feel your pain as a fan. I do. After they sucked during most of my life, the Patriots made a super bowl, only to immediately lose Parcells and Curtis Martin as soon as it ended. It sucked and I’m still not over it.

However, I have a hard time calling any athlete’s free agent signing a “betrayal,” even under the circumstances you describe. Most CU members have switched jobs during their lives. By your definition, each of us “betrayed” our employer. In fact, what we did was worse, because in Grant’s case both the employee and the employer had mutually agreed upon an expiration date for his employment.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not embarrassed to say that I don't know what that is a case of.