Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which of these four pitchers threw 110+ mph ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vaguely remember reading a piece about Steve Dalkowski being a hard throwing prospect back in the day, but was never able to harness his control. I don't know if I'd ever heard that he could throw 110, though.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good story on him in a great baseball book; "Cult Baseball Players The Greats, Flakes, Weird & Wonderful"

"Nuke" LaLoosh the pitcher in the movie "Bull Durham" was supposedly based on him.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 7:27AM

Steve Dalkowski injured himself, and his life was never the same after that. His injury cost him his baseball career. He is a fastball legend, and yes, his control was absolutely horrible.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve resisted til now asking this Honest question: why are there so many threads like this in this forum, and not the sports talk forum? This topic, Kingman vs Harper, Yankees vs Celtics, ichiro vs Rose, plus others. Isn’t there a separate forum for those types of threads?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Given how slowly most pitchers threw the ball in that era he was probably only throwing around 100.

Robb

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

He also couldn't put the bottle down.
    His card has the Brian Piccolo syndrome to it also....very high $ for no apparent reason.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his card is probably high priced because of his legendary fastball. People know the legend all too well. It's almost mythical.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Given how slowly most pitchers threw the ball in that era he was probably only throwing around 100.

Robb

I was watching major league the other day and it was funny that they were in awe when Ricky Vaughn hit 97 on the radar gun. Fast forward to today and we’d say the pitcher is on his downslope.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a great documentary called Fastball and he along with all of the hardest throwers in baseball history were in it - Walter Johnson, Feller, Koufax, Ryan... great piece to watch especially when on a plane with nothing to do 😄

KC

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    His card has the Brian Piccolo syndrome to it also....very high $ for no apparent reason.

The reason is obvious. Supply and demand. The card is very difficult to find in 8 or above.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markj111 said:

@jay0791 said:

The reason is obvious. Supply and demand. The card is very difficult to find in 8 or above.

That explains the supply. Until this thread I honestly wasn’t aware there was a demand. Obviously there is though.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Yay! I have the ONLY 7.5!

Dee Fondy a Reds player once bunted a ball foul off a Dalkowski pitch and later said "it was one of the hardest hit balls of my life"!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 2:44PM

@fergie23 said:

Robb

They tried to measure him one time. He had to throw the ball down a tube of some kind. Took him a LOT of tries before he got a ball down the tube. If I remember correctly, he was under 100, but they figured it wasn't his best. I want to say high 90's.

What impressed me in reading about him is that Ted Williams said he was that fast. Ted was not a guy to admit someone could throw the ball past him. He was probably more concerned with being beaned though.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of just how entertaining it was to watch Joel Zumaya in 2006. Disappointing that he couldn't make a longer career of that fastball talent, but it was fun while it briefly lasted in Detroit.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I've never heard of him but always heard how fast Ryne Duren threw along with him being wild.