Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Star Basketball cards

What's everyone's opinion on these cards? I know they are not officially licensed as Topps. Yet they are collected by some.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    What's everyone's opinion on these cards? I know they are not officially licensed as Topps. Yet they are collected by some.

I’m confused. I made a comment in a different thread the other day, but then deleted it. What is your obsession with Topps on here when you collect Fleer?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

I didn't collect and it's been many years that the topic on these cards were discussed; there were many accounts in SCD in the 90s e.g.

I believe they were licensed or sanctioned by the NBA.

The rub? It's believed that the company produced the cards long after they reported that they destroyed the plates. At least that's what I remember?

Mike
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@stwainfan said:

I’m confused. I made a comment in a different thread the other day, but then deleted it. What is your obsession with Topps on here when you collect Fleer?

I don't just collect Fleer cards. From 1986-1988 Fleer was the only one making basketball cards.
    a example of what I collect.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Star made a lot of great cards. Michael Jordan's first cards, and Isiah Thomas's first cards were made by them. They also made Dominique Wilkins's and Hakeem Olajuwon's first cards, as well as Charles Barkley's first card.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the Dominique Wilkins Star Rookie. I sold it.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the Star cards are quite legendary in the hobby. A lot of the rookies fetch very high prices.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 1:24PM

The only "negative" if you want to consider it, was there were no wax packs or any randomness if you wanted to collect them. They were not sold in stores. You could purchase complete team sets, etc. Kind of like the update sets you could get as a set only, no singles.
    For me at least it puts them in a different category than others because of that. I found it weird even back then, which is why I passed.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Very collectible with some of basketball's greatest in the 80's represented. I have a ton of them but stopped collecting them years ago to move on to other things as we all do.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of 80s Star basketball. Features the true rookie cards of Hall of Famers I. Thomas, Worthy, Drexler, Jordan, Olajuwon, Wilkins, Stockton, Barkley, Ewing and Sampson. Sadly, a bunch of these Star cards and more have been chopped up and made their way into supposedly legitimate holders.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 4:39PM

@Stone193 said:

The rub? It's believed that the company produced the cards long after they reported that they destroyed the plates. At least that's what I remember?

This is what I've heard as well, although I've never talked to someone who could positively confirm it... I've also heard that this is the reason PSA doesn't authenticate Star basketball, but DOES authenticate Star baseball.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have some Drexlers. May bring in some James Worthy's at some point. Andrew Toney, Buck Williams and Sam Perkins Star RC's would interest me as well.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

Actually, the cards were licensed by the NBA which is why the players are pictured in their actual jerseys (no logos airbrushed out). The cards aesthetics are not for everyone, but to me I always loved the looks of 1980's Star Basketball with their distinctive bright, colorful borders. There are a lot of misconceptions about the Star cards and if you are interested in learning more about Star basketball cards this is probably the best place to start:

http://www.basketballgold.com/

Steve