Home Sports Talk
Options

Bart Starr...RIP

BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great player and man. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quintessential Packer! His moment with Favre at Lambeau a few years ago was very moving. RIP.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just saw it in the news. he was without a doubt the greatest Green Bay QB of all time and a class act.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    The quintessential Packer! His moment with Favre at Lambeau a few years ago was very moving. RIP.

Was at Lambeau that day. The halftime ceremony was easily the highlight of the day. Just miserable weather. Felt badly for Starr having to deal with it in his condition. Packers lost. In fact they lost all 3 home games to division opponents that year, and it rained at all 3 games.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to see this. I know his last few years had been very difficult. I am glad he is not suffering any longer.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Bart Starr. Joe Namath. Ken Stabler. A great trio from Alabama. Now only Joe remains

I AGREE, on another note , I did not know that tid bit. RIP my friend and regards to the family and the extended ones.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a great man and QB. But I will never forgive him for that QB sneak for the win against Dallas in the Ice Bowl for the Championship. ;)B)

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Last second victories 2 years in a row over Dallas. There is a nice Ice Bowl video available made from video out takes of the game. Ray Scott was brought in to to the play by play. The original game video was destroyed long ago.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Mr. Starr.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    He was a great man and QB. But I will never forgive him for that QB sneak for the win against Dallas in the Ice Bowl for the Championship. ;)B)

Thanks.....I needed that! ;)

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

From facebook, Bart's wife Cherry is experiencing a battle of her own. I used to live in Hoover, AL where they resided as well and are revered in that area.

I have to be honest: This post is a bit more difficult to write than many others that I have written. The best example of will and grace that you can find, Cherry Starr has always been about making sure that others were looked after- she's been very private about her own health issues. Now, Cherry wants you to be aware of her own battles, something that she has not shared in detail prior to now. I'm honored that Cherry has asked me to catch you up to date, as she continues to recover from a mastectomy performed last week.
    This is the story about Will and Grace.
    The Memories:
    Cherry Starr has led a storybook life, a life full of magical memories, one of which goes back to 1954, when Cherry Morton eloped with a young Alabama quarterback named Bart Starr. Cherry then dropped out of Auburn and moved to Tuscaloosa to support her new husband, and the rest, they say, is NFL history. Throughout the years, Bart and Cherry saw their shares of ups and downs:
    Celebrating two Super Bowl MVP awards.
    Losing a son.
    Being inducted into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.
    Bart fighting for his life.
    Through it all, Cherry's will and grace have never wavered.
    The Fighter:
    Cherry Starr prayed with you during her husband's fight, but now she needs your prayers. A picture of health for over 80 years, Cherry has found herself battling mounting health issues: She has had four surgeries over the last few years, four surgeries, in fact, over the last 85.
    Nodes removed from her neck as doctors suggested it might be lymphoma?
    Cherry fought the fight.
    A thyroid cancer diagnosis followed by surgery?
    Cherry fought the the fight.
    A breast cancer diagnosis a year ago?
    Cherry fought the fight.
    Last week's mastectomy?
    Cherry is fighting the fight.
    Through it all, Cherry's will and grace have never wavered.
    The Widow:
    Cherry Starr rises each morning at 5:30, and within an hour she's dressed and in full make-up, ready to seize the day. Staying busy has always kept her young, yet these days staying busy still doesn't prevent her from thinking of Bart. For 68 years they were an item- for 68 years they were a team. And last May 26th when Bart was taking his last breaths, Cherry whispered in her husband's ear, "Bart, darling, I love you so much. Thank you for giving me such a beautiful life." Bart mustered enough strength to whisper, "I love you, too". Her prince was gone, yet:
    Through it all, Cherry's will and grace never wavered.
    The Future:
    Come May 8th, Cherry will celebrate her 86th birthday, and 18 days later some tears will flow as she remembers that Bart has been gone for one year. How does she put behind her a 65 year storybook marriage? She doesn't.
    She will think of Bart when she talks with her doctor next week to determine what kind of follow-up treatment may be necessary following the mastectomy.
    She will think of Bart when her husband's Green Bay Packers teammates call to check on her.
    She will think of Bart when she travels today to Kansas City where the Chiefs will honor the couple with a special award.
    She will think of Bart when she returns home tonight to climb into the bed where each night for years, Bart would leave love notes under her pillow.
    Through it all, Cherry's will and grace will never waver.
    The Lesson:
    Cherry Starr has never been about Cherry Starr, and to be honest, she may be a bit embarrassed by all of this attention. But as the years pile up and leave too soon, Cherry is reminding all of us that life is short and good health is a blessing. For each and every one of us, there is more fighting left to be done.
    Cherry Starr is a mother, a grandmother and a friend- and as she faces more battles ahead, she will fight those battles with determination and resiliency. I know Cherry enough to know that she will have it no other way. And you know something?
    Through it all, Cherry's will and grace will never waver.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2020 8:42AM

He was definitely a leader and a great role model.He May have not been the most talented qb He was definitely one of the smartest.
    I met him in Kentucky many years back. A true class of a man.

RIP.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)