Home Q & A Forum
Options

Worth sending this 1879-CC 63DMPL to CAC?

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, worth a shot, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, my long answer: There are 57 in this date and grade (17 by PCGS and 40 by NGC). The CAC pop is only 2. From auction data, at least one of those two is PCGS. My guess is the other one with a CAC is probably PCGS as well (but no guarantee). As such, if you do send it in, you can be hopeful, but don’t be disappointed, as the odds are against you. CAC would have to feel not only it’s at least “B” for the MS63, but in addition to that, is at least “B” for the DMPL.

Second, my short answer: Since the cost to submit is only $14.50 plus round trip shipping, and that one with a CAC just sold at Heritage last month for $16,800 (about $6,000 - $7,000 higher than others graded by PCGS without a CAC), I strongly suggest you give it a shot, due to the tremendous increase in value (to you or your heirs) if you succeed. No doubt I’d absolutely send it in if it were my coin. By the way, although the photo quality of what you posted is not too high resolution, in my opinion it could be nicer than the coin that has the CAC (but I don’t have expertise as a grader). Good luck, and let us know the result.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    shaf2bshaf2b Posts: 31 ✭✭

Thanks very much for the helpful feedback, all. Coin has been submitted. Will post outcome in a few weeks

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shaf2b said:
    Thanks very much for the helpful feedback, all. Coin has been submitted. Will post outcome in a few weeks

Good luck! That would be very nice if you to let us forumites know the results. Thanks!