Home Q & A Forum
Options

Morgan VAM Question

jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I've just started looking thru my Morgans for any VAM varieties. I'm a total newbie at this so I'm not certain I understand the process.
For example: I have a 1878 P Morgan with a doubled die LIBERTY and what appears to be some slight doubling of the first 8 and the 7 in the date. I went thru the VAM listing and it doesn't appear that this coins has any of the other diagnostics. So my question is: just because I found a double died LIBERTY does that necessarily mean that it would be a VAM variety?

Joe

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to vamworld.com and start your journey thru the exciting work that has already been done in this interesting area. Dave that site because you'll be going back to it often. Let us know what you find. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I did spend a good deal of time there today which is how I came to post this question. So if I find a coin that has some of the features but not all of the diagnostics for a particular VAM does it become a new VAM of just another raw Morgan? I'm not sure the time and effort to go thru all of the different VAM's for a particular date is even worth it if the coin value doesn't appreciate significantly. I sense a rabbit hole ahead

Joe

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe @ifthevamzarockin can help?

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

There are Vams associated with each other. Just about every other Morgan is a VAM of sort or holds a listing. I imagine there are plenty still to be found. Check out the TOP 100 list. There are some that are valuable and worth searching for.

• Options

Thanks for all of the responses. Down the rabbit hole I go.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a photo of the obv & rev here and we might be able to help you. There are a few reasons you might be having a hard time matching it up. If you are looking at doubled Liberty listings you may need to be looking at doubled date or star listings. It also helps to narrow your search by reverse design.