Home Sports Talk
Options

The Shift

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/05/23/after-rays-beat-dodgers-shift-rich-hill-lets-his-frustration-known-in-vocal-on-field-display/

I never understood why more players don't do this. Enough bunts to the opposite side would cause teams to think twice about employing it.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would make so much sense for a batter to do this. If a highly shifted left handed hitter were to lay down bunts to third consistently, I bet it would only take just a few games for the right side of the infield to open back up for him. teams wouldnt give up free hits for too long before they started playing strait up again. Hitters dont seem to want to sacrifice full swings for even a few games though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody should do that when the left side is left open......it's a no brainer!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

GUYS, players do not know how to bunt anymore.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Well then they need to practice it a couple hours a day until they know how. It's part of fundamental Baseball!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

I would agree with this. its all about exit velo and launch angles.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Well then they need to practice it a couple hours a day until they know how. It's part of fundamental Baseball!

Not going to happen. Those days are gone.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

as Joe said, no one knows how to bunt, no one knows how to hit oppo, no one knows how to hit behind the runner, no one knows........................the worst part is that no one seems to care to know how and no managers/coaches from High School on seem to be interested in teaching these basic fundamentals.

it's all about four-baggers and if you whiff, oh well, you'll be up again in a few innings. I can only speak for myself, but when I played baseball a lifetime ago it seemed that striking out was the worst fate of all.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

here's the issue.....the analytics people say it is worth giving up the base hit to a hitter who has extra base power. They're willing to "play the odds" that the pitcher can survive giving that hit. The offense feeds into this by never stealing, never playing hit and run and never having the next hitter try to hit the ball to the right side (unless he's left handed). Just a whole different game than the one I grew up with. Where would the Maury Wills, Lou Brock, Ricky Henderson type players fit in todays game? The NL leader in stolen bases right now has 12 thru almost 50 games. When was the last time you saw a batter try to hit behind a runner on first base? Logically there should be a place for this type strategy in today's game, but sadly, it doesn't appear to be the case.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    here's the issue.....the analytics people say it is worth giving up the base hit to a hitter who has extra base power. They're willing to "play the odds" that the pitcher can survive giving that hit. The offense feeds into this by never stealing, never playing hit and run and never having the next hitter try to hit the ball to the right side (unless he's left handed). Just a whole different game than the one I grew up with. Where would the Maury Wills, Lou Brock, Ricky Henderson type players fit in todays game? The NL leader in stolen bases right now has 12 thru almost 50 games. When was the last time you saw a batter try to hit behind a runner on first base? Logically there should be a place for this type strategy in today's game, but sadly, it doesn't appear to be the case.

Too bad the "new breed" of ownership/management doesn't care about the fans or baseball......only money.

The Twins are playing fabulous baseball right now, but I have no interest in going to a game. The Pohlads had a HOF home town manager who won Manager of the Year a couple of years ago and they fired him so they could put in "their guy" someone with no managerial experience.

I would have loved to see how this new team would have played under Paul Molitor.

Wishing the team all the success in the world, I follow them as much as I can, but you won't be seeing any of my money......ever.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Too bad the "new breed" of ownership/management doesn't care about the fans or baseball......only money.

The Twins are playing fabulous baseball right now, but I have no interest in going to a game. The Pohlads had a HOF home town manager who won Manager of the Year a couple of years ago and they fired him so they could put in "their guy" someone with no managerial experience.

I would have loved to see how this new team would have played under Paul Molitor.

Wishing the team all the success in the world, I follow them as much as I can, but you won't be seeing any of my money......ever.

Putting personal feelings aside (and Paul Molitor was one of my favorite players), the Twins have a very exciting fun team this year. They caught my eye when they can in to Philly very early in the season and hit the ball all over the field up and down the lineup. Looks like they be good to see up close and personal. You never know if its a one year thing, so enjoy while you can.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the twins pick up a good closer, they will be very hard to beat in the playoffs. been waiting for this a long time, October baseball at target field with open air and temps in the 20's

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 8:53PM

Whitey and his St. Louis Cardinals from the 80's would have played havoc with teams like this. He would nickel and dime them to death.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    if the twins pick up a good closer, they will be very hard to beat in the playoffs. been waiting for this a long time, October baseball at target field with open air and temps in the 20's

If they pick up Kimbrel, I will be shocked, this would be a HUGE step in the right direction.

Waiting until after the draft to pick up a guy this good is silly when you have the starting pitching and hitting they have shown so far.

• Options

At this point, I'm really not sure what you will get from Kimbrel if you sign him. It's now June (give or take a day), he hasn't faced major league hitting since last October, another year older, etc. I worry that it takes him til after the all star break to be in shape enough to help a team. I feel that if I'm looking for a closer, I'd rather look around the trade deadline to get one from a non-contender, and I do believe there will be a few good ones available

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    At this point, I'm really not sure what you will get from Kimbrel if you sign him. It's now June (give or take a day), he hasn't faced major league hitting since last October, another year older, etc. I worry that it takes him til after the all star break to be in shape enough to help a team. I feel that if I'm looking for a closer, I'd rather look around the trade deadline to get one from a non-contender, and I do believe there will be a few good ones available

He should be able to get it going to help a team in the stretch run and playoffs. Twins have a TON of money.

Kimbrel may not be at the peak of his career, but he has been awfully good.

As I said, i'll be shocked if the Twins go after him hard.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    as Joe said, no one knows how to bunt, no one knows how to hit oppo, no one knows how to hit behind the runner, no one knows........................the worst part is that no one seems to care to know how and no managers/coaches from High School on seem to be interested in teaching these basic fundamentals.

it's all about four-baggers and if you whiff, oh well, you'll be up again in a few innings. I can only speak for myself, but when I played baseball a lifetime ago it seemed that striking out was the worst fate of all.

George Brett said players' used to be embarrassed when they struck out, now they don't care anymore.
    That from a player who once had 24 home runs and 22 strikeouts one season.

I watched just a little of a MLB game this afternoon, Roughned Odor was on one of the teams. The announcers
    said his manager has been patient with him, but now its time for him to produce. They said its time for him to
    stop swinging for the fences every at bat and make some adjustments. My guess, not going to happen and
    he'll probably never get better.