Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why is EBAY charging 35 cent insertion fees???

Been getting free listings for years. Now all of a sudden, they are charging me 35 cents every time a item gets automatically relisted after 30 days. So they are charging the fee every 30 days. What is going on?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

For me it rolls over and eats up the 50 free listings they give you per month. So basically you are getting the ability to carry 50 items month to month without fees. Carry more than 50 and you will pay. I think its an effort to curtail stagnant inventory that sits un-bought at high prices, by placing a financial incentive to move it inside of 30 days.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Gotta to end auctions before they renew now with the good ‘til cancelled

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good. Maybe this will motivate some “museum sellers” to actually adjust their inflated prices when items fail to sell.

• Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

FYI to all of you... Since the Spring 'Screw the Seller Update', eBay has announced that the Good Till Cancelled listings will now renew on a specific day each month, instead of every 30 days... So, your listings will renew on, say, the 5th of every month, so you don't have to worry about being double charged in months with 31 days... This is the one semi-intelligent thing eBay has done in the past 15 years... Although, it wouldn't have been necessary if they had just left well-enough alone.

DesertIceSports.Com

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

you must be listing a lot of stuff. I get at least 50 free listings per month

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Business in general is about staying relevant and fresh especially online where attracting newcomers is crucial but getting them to return with new merchandise is even more crucial to creating an habitual user (the Best kind)..... .35 is a motivation to keep things moving or "get off the pot".... Ebay will tolerate stale and they have determined that .35 per item is that point of tolerance for them financially.

I don't think Ebay is that strategic with small sellers, who are the ones that are affected by this change. This is a plain money grab on their part to get more fee revenue. Ebay is a digital store with literally unlimited floor space. Ebay doesn't want sellers like me - more active than casual users, less than commercial user - because we are more of a nuisance to them. We only pay Ebay when they perform (sell) the item for us. They don't get any other revenue from me (as a seller) especially since they spun off Payapl. Under the old format it was easy for me to have a "set it and forget it" process with the 50 free listings. Ebay wants to do everything in their power to force me to pony up for a store. This is just the first step of many.

Mike
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Been getting free listings for years. Now all of a sudden, they are charging me 35 cents every time a item gets automatically relisted after 30 days. So they are charging the fee every 30 days. What is going on?

They updated their terms a couple months ago to start doing this.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Good. Maybe this will motivate some “museum sellers” to actually adjust their inflated prices when items fail to sell.

I don't think $0.35 is going to motivate those sellers to lower their price. This is like $4.20 annually worst case for those sellers. One less Starbucks pays for a year.

Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@PaulMaul said:

I don't think $0.35 is going to motivate those sellers to lower their price. This is like $4.20 annually worst case for those sellers. One less Starbucks pays for a year.

For one listing, yes, but many of these sellers have dozens even hundreds of listings. That's a lot of lattes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking eBay is ever going to change for the better is like that feeling of knowing something tasty is in your fridge, looking forward to coming home after a hard day's work and ripping into that delightful treat, yet when you get home discovering to your horror it is gone. If that feeling was a buying and selling venue, it would be eBay.

peacockcoins

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the people who run Ebay ever have to worry about missing any meals.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    IF Ebay has 50,000 items each day that rollover into another 30 day auction thats $17,500.00 a day x 30 = 525,000/mo. and 6.3 million a year to a flimsy .35 raise in fees..... I have no clue how many items rollover each day but on a grand scale these are some hypothetical numbers maybe its 150,000 items a day....~ 6.3 million is chump change to their bottom line compared to other earnings but its certainly meaningful.

Yep, it's just like the oil companies jumping the price of gas by 15 cents overnight for no reason. We can't even imagine how much windfall profits they get in one day by doing this and at zero cost to them.

@ElvisP said:

@MLBdays said:
    IF Ebay has 50,000 items each day that rollover into another 30 day auction thats $17,500.00 a day x 30 = 525,000/mo. and 6.3 million a year to a flimsy .35 raise in fees..... I have no clue how many items rollover each day but on a grand scale these are some hypothetical numbers maybe its 150,000 items a day....~ 6.3 million is chump change to their bottom line compared to other earnings but its certainly meaningful.

Yep, it's just like the oil companies jumping the price of gas by 15 cents a gallon overnight for no reason. We can't even imagine how much windfall profits they get in one day by doing this and at zero cost to them.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is the main reason for the fee is simply because Ebay feels they can get away with it. There's an old saying in business of try to get whatever the traffic can bear. And evidently, Ebay figures their traffic (customers) can bear this .35 cent charge.

Besides, the Ebay CEO may want to buy a new luxurious beach front estate, and what better way to do it? Might as well buy a Maserati to go along with it so he can drive around Malibu in style. 😒

@stevek said:
    My opinion is the main reason for the fee is simply because Ebay feels they can get away with it. There's an old saying in business of try to get whatever the traffic can bear. And evidently, Ebay figures their traffic (customers) can bear this .35 cent charge.

Besides, the Ebay CEO may want to buy a new luxurious beach front estate, and what better way to do it? Might as well buy a Maserati to go along with it so he can drive around Malibu in style. 😒

Exactly. They do it because it's a huge profit with no costs. They also do it automatically so you don't have a chance to not resist it. Only auctions are not automatically relisted.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

check and see if you added extras you i your listing. Shorter auction times or subtitles will trigger extra cost. Adding a buy it now to an item you list will also do it. Check what your store level subscription says maybe you have free listing $ inserts for 299 items and you sold more.

What is your EBay subscription level plan?

I do the 24.95 a month and works for me. Larger accounts get assigned reps and agree on pricing. Call them. They will up-sell you. Gladly.

Can you share one of your listings so we can review it for you

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 3:09AM

@Kkathyl said:
    check and see if you added extras you i your listing. Shorter auction times or subtitles will trigger extra cost. Adding a buy it now to an item you list will also do it. Check what your store level subscription says maybe you have free listing $ inserts for 299 items and you sold more.

What is your EBay subscription level plan?

I don't have any plan and I don't have any extras. I am a small seller. The insertion fees are automatic and for no reason.

I have maybe 20-25 items in the $25 - $40 range. After a month or two, if they don't sell, then these ridiculous monthly 35 cent fees will force me to take them all down. Because I am not in the business of giving away my stuff.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 3:24AM

@garnettstyle said:
    I am a small seller. The insertion fees are automatic and for no reason.

So am I, and I don't like them, but they aren't for no reason.

They give sellers that do not have a store subscription 50 listings a month free. If you need more than 50 per month they are now charging you for them. It's really that simple.

Before this new 35 cent per listing fee you would probably list your free 50, and then wait for a listing special to add more. Now those more you add will have to be stopped manually or they will roll over after 30 days and cause you to pay fees.

If you don't want to pay anything for listings my advice would be find your best 50 items, start them on or after the 3rd of the month, and let them keep rolling over for free.

If you absolutely need more than 50 per month, then you need to either 1) add more items and pay the new 35 cents per item fee or 2) get a "starter" store which is only $4.95 a month if you pay the whole year in advance and you get 100 extra listings which is only 5 cents each for those 100 instead of 35 cents each.

If you need more than 150 listings per month you might not be as small of a seller as you think you are.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, we are Ebay. Yes you can sell your items on our site, but we'll have to break your thumbs first.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

90% of the people after complaining about Ebay in this thread have been on Ebay either before or after posting to look for stuff they want. #FactsOnly. ;)

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 8:17PM

I have to imagine this will put a complete end to people posting thousands of 1980's commons. We should see a surge in lots being listed though.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

For profit company. They own the platform. They made investments to it. This is what they charge.

• Feebay has also made it difficult to stop auto relisting. I can only do it from my laptop. On your all selling page, you have to switch to Classic View, then each item will have a drop down menu listed beside it allowing you to deselect auto relist. I saw a thread where you can call customer service and have auto relist permanently stopped on your account but I never have tried it.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Instanttang77 said:
    Feebay has also made it difficult to stop auto relisting. I can only do it from my laptop. On your all selling page, you have to switch to Classic View, then each item will have a drop down menu listed beside it allowing you to deselect auto relist. I saw a thread where you can call customer service and have auto relist permanently stopped on your account but I never have tried it.

How do you switch to Classic View? I couln't find it.

• i think they keep moving it. Before I think it was in drop down. This pic is from my mobile browser today.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Instanttang77 said:
    Feebay has also made it difficult to stop auto relisting. I can only do it from my laptop. On your all selling page, you have to switch to Classic View, then each item will have a drop down menu listed beside it allowing you to deselect auto relist. I saw a thread where you can call customer service and have auto relist permanently stopped on your account but I never have tried it.

Ebay is frustrating on a smart phone. I cant even see the completed listings.

• Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

It's also frustrating on a laptop, a desktop, a flip phone, an iPad, an iMac, a PC, a workstation, a supercomputer, a mainframe, and a PDA...

DesertIceSports.Com

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@Instanttang77 said:

Just click on filters and scroll down.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@garnettstyle said:
    I am a small seller. The insertion fees are automatic and for no reason.

So am I, and I don't like them, but they aren't for no reason.

They give sellers that do not have a store subscription 50 listings a month free. If you need more than 50 per month they are now charging you for them. It's really that simple.

Before this new 35 cent per listing fee you would probably list your free 50, and then wait for a listing special to add more. Now those more you add will have to be stopped manually or they will roll over after 30 days and cause you to pay fees.

If you don't want to pay anything for listings my advice would be find your best 50 items, start them on or after the 3rd of the month, and let them keep rolling over for free.

If you absolutely need more than 50 per month, then you need to either 1) add more items and pay the new 35 cents per item fee or 2) get a "starter" store which is only $4.95 a month if you pay the whole year in advance and you get 100 extra listings which is only 5 cents each for those 100 instead of 35 cents each.

If you need more than 150 listings per month you might not be as small of a seller as you think you are.

Great advice and input right here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

A word of caution.

eBay has a promo (i'm pretty sure it's for everyone) from 5/25 to 5/29 for 500 free fixed price or auction style listings. They hardly ever do 500; from my experience it's usually only 50 or 100. It feels like they're hoping that the small seller who used to wait for these specials and then let them die after 30 days will jump at the chance to add so many listings.

Be very careful if you take advantage of this special as you will have to be diligent in remembering to cancel them all before they relist.

500 X $0.35 = $175

@Bharris said:
    You guys really need to join some of the large FB groups. Paying all these fees is dumb. I get if you are selling some ultra exclusive card or a high end $2500+ card but my guess is most of what your selling is not that. No posting fees everyone sends the money via PP FF its the only way to sell.

I dont know anything about these groups so what I am going to say is most likely wrong, but I imagine them being a bunch of low ballers telling you they can get it cheaper on eBay.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I figured this out the hard way when I had 100 fixed price listings auto relist. Ouch...

I liked it better before when they simply ended after 30 days, so then I could pick and choose what gets relisted. Looks like I'm no longer listing cards with a fixed price.

Nam, good info on your store mathing post... I'll be looking into this.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bharris said:

Actually its just the opposite, you typically get 15-25% more than ebay sales. Everyone is suppose to keep it close to past comps but everyone is always a little high. Most people don't mind a slight bump when you are lining your card and selling spots cheap. If you have a $300 card you can line 30 spots at $10 bucks. Everyone pays you then a group admin does a live video randomizer (and post the video link and winners) for the card, top name gets it. The other type of sale is a 4 spot. You list what you want to sell the card four. 4 people pick a spot and a admin randomizes it. Top name gets the card for free the bottom name has to pay for it, spot 2 and 3 are safe.

And obviously you can just list your card for a sale price. The popular stuff sales out within minutes and you are instantly paid with absolutely no fees. A higher end example was a Jordan PSA 7 sold for $1900. He sold like 300 spots and it took about a day to sale out.

You all can just sit in the same Ebay rut bitching about all the fees or try something different. just saying

Wow! That makes paying $200 for a PSA 7 common in a pack break sound really attractive. I see why you would want to sell that way, but am mystified as to why anyone would buy that way.

@Bharris said:

@nam812 said:

@Bharris said:
    You guys really need to join some of the large FB groups. Paying all these fees is dumb. I get if you are selling some ultra exclusive card or a high end $2500+ card but my guess is most of what your selling is not that. No posting fees everyone sends the money via PP FF its the only way to sell.

I dont know anything about these groups so what I am going to say is most likely wrong, but I imagine them being a bunch of low ballers telling you they can get it cheaper on eBay.

Actually its just the opposite, you typically get 15-25% more than ebay sales. Everyone is suppose to keep it close to past comps but everyone is always a little high. Most people don't mind a slight bump when you are lining your card and selling spots cheap. If you have a $300 card you can line 30 spots at $10 bucks. Everyone pays you then a group admin does a live video randomizer (and post the video link and winners) for the card, top name gets it. The other type of sale is a 4 spot. You list what you want to sell the card four. 4 people pick a spot and a admin randomizes it. Top name gets the card for free the bottom name has to pay for it, spot 2 and 3 are safe.

And obviously you can just list your card for a sale price. The popular stuff sales out within minutes and you are instantly paid with absolutely no fees. A higher end example was a Jordan PSA 7 sold for $1900. He sold like 300 spots and it took about a day to sale out.

You all can just sit in the same Ebay rut bitching about all the fees or try something different. just saying

Do you have any that you recommend?

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had a Facebook account, and won't, not ever. I do have a friend that swears by the Facebook card groups, though, and uses it all of the time, so I've frequently witnessed the goings on just to see what all of the fuss is about. Just my personal observation...the carnival barkers and used car salesman types likely find it to be a very profitable platform selling a bunch of junk, preying on the unsuspecting and uneducated. Legitimate cards and legitimate transactions appear to sell for much, much less than the same items on eBay, even once you factor in the fees. I suspect there to be a significant percentage of these sales are the fencing of stolen items, or the result of some grade school kid having traded his dad's 68 Mantle for a $5 Yadier Molina Heritage relic card, and they're trying to get that Mantle sold quickly before the dad comes back with his kid trying to take the trade back.

edited May 29, 2019 3:58PM

@Bharris said:

Do you have any that you recommend?

I would start with this one. It’s pretty active and they tend to have all types of sports including some vintage. They also require a admin to approve a item to sell and they verify the amount your looking for matches comps from eBay. It’s baseball season so you will see more of that right now. Although in the next month, month and a half it’s going to be Zion madness everywhere.. you may need a reference to get in just hit me up on messenger and I will get you in, Benny Harris

I don't have a facebook account, and im guessing they aren't going to be very trusting of a guy with a brand new facebook account if I made one.

Edited to add - I appreciate you taking the time to help educate me on all this.