Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1959-D Lincoln Cent with wheat reverse to be auctioned next month

DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the Coin World article:
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/05/controversial-1959-d-cent-mule-heads-to-auction.all.html

What is the general consensus? Excellent counterfeit or modern rarity?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it real or is it the best counterfeit cent ever made???????????

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised the feds haven't seized it, "not an official issue," etc. The thing is either genuine or one of the highest quality fakes of all time. Either way significant.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Surprised the feds haven't seized it, "not an official issue," etc.

I understand the coin wasn't "officially issued," but the article states that both the Secret Service and the Dept of the Treasury examined the coin and declared it to be genuine, so (other than "because they can") I don't see any rational reason why the government would seize the coin.

IMO, this coin is for the collector or dealer with money to burn who wants a cool conversation piece.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will probably get fragged for thinking this, let alone saying it out in public...Dan Carr "wanna be" fantasy piece? I realize the article has a "discovered" date back in 1986, but several sources have gave this "coin" a clean bill of health...except the major TPGers who will not certify it. Interesting piece, but, I would not even consider bidding on it, even if I could afford it, unless PCGS certifies it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    In my opinion, it is not genuine.

I too have seen it, and I too do not think it is genuine. However, like others, I cannot say why it is not genuine.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't 'smell' right visually,
    and I don't like the inside of the
    rims. .

I've examined a few times, like others,
    and I do not consider it close to genuine.

A darn good counterfeit, I'd agree.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Apparently it was eventually sent to the Secret Service and it was returned with a letter of authenticity. However, Mark Hoffman has claimed to be the counterfeiter who made it. Did the counterfeiter only strike one coin?

From what I understand Mark Hoffman never rescinded his claim to have made the cent. He is currently serving in prison in Utah for murder.

This cent appears to kick around in Goldberg auctions every few years. Why anyone with the kind of money spent on this highly questionable piece spend that kind of money on something that no TPG will touch is beyond me.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2019 8:45AM

It is not to be confused with the 1959 no mint mark wheatback cent erroneously certified as genuine by ANACS while it was in Washington, D.C. I saw that piece at Coin World, and I believed that piece to be an altered date.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 11:40AM

The project files are at Philadelphia:
    E-619 U.S. One Cent Reverse 1958-1959 .5 in. Correspondence, memos, and photographs pertaining to the design of the Lincoln Memorial design one-cent coin. Arranged in reverse chronological order. G-12-08-01-1; Box 57.

From the OP photo only, I do not like the obverse portrait detail - but that could be lighting, also.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree something is not right with it. I wonder why only one has surfaced and not a few more on top of that. just wondering is all

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 12:07PM

@CaptHenway said:
    It is not to be confused with the 1959 no mint mark wheatback cent erroneously certified as genuine by ANACS while it was in Washington, D.C. I saw that piece at Coin World, and I believe that piece to be an altered date.
    TD

That means (according to another professional authenticator) there are at least two 1959 mules. a 1959-P and this coin a 1959-D. I will edit my post above as I only saw one coin. BTW, it was determined by all parties at the mint that the counterfeit mule (whatever its mint) seen at ANACS (in DC) that we "missed" the first time around was a die struck counterfeit.

• Options

And, in 99.89% of the time, 'Special Error Coins' that are made at
    any of the US Mints in the past 75+++ years are simply NOT found
    in circulation, like this piece was, reportedly.

I've bought my share of "SI"'s ('special issues')over the past 48 years,
    and I have a good idea of how they get out, where they are kept or
    sold, etc., and this coin AND the story of how it was found is not close
    to what I would expect if the coin was made IN the Mint.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2019 1:36PM

@Insider2 said:

@CaptHenway said:
    It is not to be confused with the 1959 no mint mark wheatback cent erroneously certified as genuine by ANACS while it was in Washington, D.C. I saw that piece at Coin World, and I believe that piece to be an altered date.
    TD

That means (according to another professional authenticator) there are at least two 1959 mules. a 1959-P and this coin a 1959-D. I will edit my post above as I only saw one coin. BTW, it was determined by all parties at the mint that the counterfeit mule (whatever its mint) seen at ANACS (in DC) that we "missed" the first time around was a die struck counterfeit.

I looked up the negative still filed in the basement of ANA Headquarters, and it is a no mint mark coin.

Edited to add: For the convenience of anybody that wishes to verify this negative, there is a file cabinet in the basement of ANA Headquarters with large brown envelopes that were generated when certain unusual coins came in. The envelopes contain various notes such as die characteristics, references, consultant notes, whatever. Typically the coin's ANACS number(s) will be found on or in the envelope. These envelopes are filed in standard Redbook order, i.e. Half Cents by date, Cents by date and mintmark, etc.

THe negatives are in different file cabinets by ANACS number order, You need to know the ANACS number to find anything in the negative file.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@Insider2 said:

@CaptHenway said:
    TD

I looked up the negative still filed in the basement of ANA Headquarters, and it is a no mint mark coin.

Thanks! Saved me some searching.

Heh, heh, looks like the buyer of the ANA's Certification Service forgot to get one of the most important assets of the company.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@Insider2 said:

@CaptHenway said:
    TD

Thanks! Saved me some searching.

Heh, heh, looks like the buyer of the ANA's Certification Service forgot to get one of the most important assets of the company.

They were offered to the buyer (Amos Press). They did not want them.

• Options

GOOD! Lucky for all of us Amos Press did not know their true value!

Hoskins had all the negatives from INSAB. He passed without any recognition and his daughter was told no one ever heard of him (first director of their Certification Service and Summer Seminar instructor among other things) when she called Colorado Springs. They are probably lost.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the coin wasn't "officially issued," but the article states that both the Secret Service and the Dept of the Treasury examined the coin and declared it to be genuine.

i would think that where this is concerned there is more "knowledge" at the various TPG's than at the Secret Service, etc.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what would happen with respect to this particular coin if it was resubmitted to the Mint and to the Treasury Dept. for a renewed examination; and if the Mint and the Treasury issued letters expressly confirming that the coin is authentic and not counterfeit?

Would these letters from Uncle Sam carry more weight in the hobby than the decisions by TPGs (privately owned US based companies) that they will not slab the coin (without explaining why they will not slab the coin)?

Or would the decisions of the TPGs carry more weight in the hobby than letters from Uncle Sam?

If persons in the know have inspected the coin and deem it not to be authentic (without being able to explain or provide a reason why they believe it is not authentic), why should their opinion carry any weight at all?

Same question if persons in the know inspected the coin and deem it to be authentic (without being able to explain or provide a reason why they believe it is authentic)?

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    I wonder what would happen with respect to this particular coin if it was resubmitted to the Mint and to the Treasury Dept. for a renewed examination; and if the Mint and the Treasury issued letters expressly confirming that the coin is authentic and not counterfeit?

Would these letters from Uncle Sam carry more weight in the hobby than the decisions by TPGs (privately owned US based companies) that they will not slab the coin (without explaining why they will not slab the coin)?

Or would the decisions of the TPGs carry more weight in the hobby than letters from Uncle Sam?

If persons in the know have inspected the coin and deem it not to be authentic (without being able to explain or provide a reason why they believe it is not authentic), why should their opinion carry any weight at all?

Same question if persons in the know inspected the coin and deem it to be authentic (without being able to explain or provide a reason why they believe it is authentic)?

Good point. We ran up against this in the 70's when authenticators had "back door" access to the Mint. At the time, we were the only show in town, pre-dating the second Authentication Service by a just a few years. There was not one case where the Mint authenticators disagreed with our opinion and after 1972, we were the first to alert them of the new counterfeits as soon as they were discovered. If we were not 100% sure of our opinion, we used the "no decision" option often after researching a coin for several months!

Here is the answer to your question: The Mint authenticators always had the FINAL WORD! If they think a coin is genuine, you got it back. If They decide the coin is a counterfeit, you don't get it back. :p Unfortunately, they have made mistakes and confiscated genuine coins.

IMO, the "modern" TPGS have taken the proper stance. If you are unable to PROVE your opinion in a court of law, a
    "no decision" is best. :)

• Options

Insider brought up proving your opinion in a court of law.

The owner of this coin could file a lawsuit against Uncle Sam and all persons known and unknown who claim an interest in this coin adverse to the owner for quite title (declaring the Plaintiff owns the coin free and clear of any interest of the defendants therein) and for declaratory relief (declaring that the coin is authentic and not counterfeit).

Uncle Sam may just decide to agree with the Plaintiff.

Obtaining such a court judgment would provide the owner with tangible and concrete proof of ownership and proof of authenticity. Once any such judgment was filed and became final maybe then TPGs would grade and slab the coin.

In that event Lincoln cent collectors would have a new, instant rarity to pursue.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

The owner of this coin could file a lawsuit against Uncle Sam and all persons known and unknown who claim an interest in this coin adverse to the owner for quite title (declaring the Plaintiff owns the coin free and clear of any interest of the defendants therein) and for declaratory relief (declaring that the coin is authentic and not counterfeit).

Obtaining such a court judgment would provide the owner with tangible and concrete proof of ownership and proof of authenticity. Once any such judgment was filed and became final maybe then TPGs would grade and slab the coin.

In that event Lincoln cent collectors would have a new, instant rarity to pursue.

Just because something is in a holder, doesn't mean you have to agree to it's authenticity.
    I have seen many coins in both our hosts holders, and in other holders in which the coin was not genuine while being authenticated by graders.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Die polish lines look pretty similar to a real one.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this was seized a long time ago from the owner?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 1:10AM

At least it looks like the US considers it real. This auction will be a test of US government authentication vs. TPG authentication.

The oddity was discovered in 1986 by Leon Baller, a retired police officer. When he sent the coin for authentication by the U.S. Treasury in 1987, he received a letter signed by Richard M. McDrew, special agent for the Department of the Treasury, stating, “Enclosed is your United States 1¢ coin, dated 1959-D, with wheat reverse. This coin was microscopically examined by our Forensic Services Division in Washington, D.C. and it is their opinion the coin is genuine.”

Fifteen years later its new owner sent it to the United States Secret Service Office of Investigations Counterfeit Division, who found in 2002 that the coin did not exhibit alterations to the date. The examiner located no seams on the edge that would indicate it was two halves pieced together, found that the composition was consistent with cents of the period, saw no characteristics associated with counterfeit coins such as tool and file marks, and observed the die polish was similar to genuine 1959 cents. The report concluded that it was a genuine mule cent.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 2:11AM

@Insider2 said:
    Mark Hoffman has claimed to be the counterfeiter who made it.

Interesting. Is there any reason to disbelieve this claim?

Should we call this the Hoffman cent?

Here's some info on Mark Hoffman. Anyone know what rare mint mark dime he forged? Is that coin known with his provenance?

Mark William Hofmann (born December 7, 1954) is an American counterfeiter, forger, and convicted murderer. Widely regarded as one of the most accomplished forgers in history, Hofmann is especially noted for his creation of documents related to the history of the Latter Day Saint movement.[1][2] When his schemes began to unravel, he constructed bombs to murder two people in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    [...]
    According to Hofmann, while still a teenage coin collector, he forged a rare mint mark on a dime and was told by an organization of coin collectors that it was genuine.[6]

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 2:12AM

@SaorAlba said:
    This cent appears to kick around in Goldberg auctions every few years.

Here's the 2010 Goldberg auction. It's interesting that they don't mention the Hoffman counterfeit claim.

Here's a short excerpt:

The known history of this unique cent begins in 1986. A retired police officer named Leon Baller advertised in his local Walnut Creek, California newspaper that he would purchase rare and unusual coins. A local coin collector saw the ad and contacted Baller about an unusual 1959-D wheat reverse cent that he had found, and Baller soon arranged to meet with him and then purchased the coin for $1,500. Baller sent the coin to the United States Department of the Treasury for authentication in early 1987. Jim Brown, a forensic lab authenticator for the Department of the Treasury examined the coin and found no indication that it was counterfeit. The coin was returned to Baller on February 7, 1986 with a letter signed by Richard M. McDrew, Special Agent for the Department of the Treasury. The letter states as follows:

"Enclosed is your United States 1¢ coin, dated 1959-D, with wheat reverse. This coin was microscopically examined by our Forensic Services Division in Washington, D.C. and it is their opinion the coin is genuine."

Baller eventually sold the coin to Heritage Rare Coin Galleries in 1987. The cent was then sold to a private collector where it remained until recently.
    The current owner of the coin is a business syndicate whose members' names have not been disclosed, and their representative is Larry Choate, a Southern California collector. Choate took the bold move in 2002 to resubmit the coin to the Department of the Treasury and Secret Service for a more comprehensive review of the 1959-D wheat cents authenticity. Choate realized that if the coin was considered a counterfeit, it would be seized and destroyed. In addition, Choate took the risk that the coin was produced at the Denver Mint but illegally spirited out, and could be seized on those grounds as well. Frankly, the Department of the Treasury has a checkered list of such seizures, and only a few coins have been seized over the years. It is important to note here that this coin will not be confiscated as the Treasury Department has returned the coin twice to the owner after reviewing the coin and returning it as genuine. It is also considered legal tender by the Treasury Department.

• Options
    1. I don't know if McDrew was the person who wrote a letter I
      saw decades ago, but the letter was signed by a Treasury
      Official from the BEP, not the Mint. If anyone has the McDrew
      letter, I'd be interested to see his title on the letterhead, or
      below his signature.

2. The Treasury confiscated not only decided to seize the
      counterfeit 1969-P Doubled Die Cents, but also seized and
      destroyed genuine 1969-S DD Cents, that they also condemned as
      counterfeit, but were genuine major doubled die cents.

3. I've examined the coin, and I don't like the surfaces or overall
      'look' of the coin. It just doesn't smell right visually. I don't know if
      Hoffman made it, but it's certainly a distinct possibility.

Copper planchets for pre-82 cents are very very common, so
      the fact that it weighs correctly, and has the right composition,
      means nothing. The rims of this coin are also very sharp; yes,
      the sharper rims could be from a special die-set up, but look
      closely at the photos Zions posted - the coin, as I recall it, is
      somewhat darker than in the photo, but even the Wheat Rev.
      looks 'off' imo.

4. Coins like this are not found in circulation 27 years after
      they were struck. I've bought my share of things that were made
      on purpose at the Mints, and none of them were sourced anywhere
      near a situation like this. (if it were documented that it was found
      in downtown Denver in the early 60's, that would be more believable)

If one, or more, were struck on purpose, it would not have ended
      up Northern Calif. in pocket change 27 years later. It would have
      been put away, or given to a special friend/family member, and
      not be put into circulation almost three decades later.

5. IMO, as as I've stated before, the coin is not genuine.

Fred

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:

@SanctionII said:

Just because something is in a holder, doesn't mean you have to agree to it's authenticity.
    I have seen many coins in both our hosts holders, and in other holders in which the coin was not genuine while being authenticated by graders.

Please alert us to what they were and if the slab was authentic. DID YOU BOTHER TO CONTACT PCGS avout what you think you saw?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Insider2 said:
    Mark Hoffman has claimed to be the counterfeiter who made it.

Interesting. Is there any reason to disbelieve this claim?

Should we call this the Hoffman cent?

Here's some info on Mark Hoffman. Anyone know what rare mint mark dime he forged? Is that coin known with his provenance?

Mark William Hofmann (born December 7, 1954) is an American counterfeiter, forger, and convicted murderer. Widely regarded as one of the most accomplished forgers in history, Hofmann is especially noted for his creation of documents related to the history of the Latter Day Saint movement.[1][2] When his schemes began to unravel, he constructed bombs to murder two people in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    [...]
    According to Hofmann, while still a teenage coin collector, he forged a rare mint mark on a dime and was told by an organization of coin collectors that it was genuine.[6]

Probably a 16-D dime.

While there's no reason to disbelieve his claim, there's also no reason to believe it either. He was a con man and convicted liar, after all.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the possible options here?

1. Struck from counterfeit dies
    2. 2 cents cut in half and squeezed together - rims are buffed back down
    3. Altered 9 in the date
    4. Mint worker created it

What is the likelihood of each?

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2019 8:28AM

@mach1ne said:

3. Altered 9 in the date
    1. Mark Hoffman created it - along with 1, 2, 3

• Options

@mach1ne asked: "What are the possible options here?"

1. 2 cents cut in half and squeezed together - rims are buffed back down
      2. Altered 9 in the date
      3. Mint worker created it
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2019 8:34AM

Goldberg’s has an interesting disclaimer at the bottom of the description in bold which doesn’t appear on other lots.

The property is not guaranteed to be authentic, and is marketable as is, and can not be returned.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @mach1ne asked: "What are the possible options here?"

3. Altered 9 in the date

I mostly agree with you. But, if we grant #4, isn't it at least possible that it was accidentally created. Isn't it at least possible that a Mint worker accidentally put in an old reverse die, caught it early and rounded up the strikes but missed one that got out into circulation?

[Disclaimer: I stay away from all of these items because I think even many of the "genuine" articles are Mint workers playing around at work.]

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 12:04PM

Stupid me taking what I consider obvious things for granted. I need to think deeply into these questions and post all the possibilities such as for #4 was it made during the day or night.

To my mind, given these choices, "Mint worker created it" covers on purpose or accidentally making it. Therefore, a genuine coin struck using genuine dies. :wink:

Hope you will agree totally now. :)

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

thanks everyone for contributions to a real interesting thread

• Options

Am I the only one who has seen both the P and the D? Skip?

• Options

I've only seen the D Mint.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 12:29PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Am I the only one who has seen both the P and the D? Skip?

I never saw the 1959-D AND until this auction, I never knew it existed UNLESS the fellow who tried to get us to authenticate it sent the packet of info about THIS coin from Denver and I didn't realize at that time that more than one mule existed. I suspect the guys at across the street have seen both. Call Rick or Lange and ask.

I have only examined the "P" as the other coin (whatever its Mint) was not sent in.

• Options

I like the discussion taking place in this thread, for multiple reasons.

The coin pictured in this thread is very interesting.

What is more interesting is the variety of opinions about whether this coin is authentic or counterfeit; and the issue of who should have the final say on whether the coin is authentic or counterfeit.

Should the executive branch of government (the Mint of the Treasury Dept.), a TPG (a private sector business), an expert (i.e. Fred W.), or the court system (a final court judgment after a jury trial or a court trial), or someone else have the final say?

What is the rational for having any of the above have the final say. Is one more worthy than the other?

In our country, its framework (the Constitution) provides for 3 separate but equal branches of government. Thanks to Marbuy v. Madison the judicial branch is more equal than the executive and legislative branches because the judicial branch has the final say. This set up has worked well for over 200 years.

So IMO a court judgment, after a trial, determining whether this coin is authentic or counterfeit is the way optimal and most legitimate way to get the "final say" on this coin from an arbiter whose bonafides are the least likely to be challenged.

This worked for the Langbord double eagles. After the Supreme Court declined to take that case there has been no one that denies the ten double eagles are owned by Uncle Sam.

So if you were given an opportunity to own the 1959 D cent pictured in this thread, would you want to own it? If you say no, would your answer change if there was a court judgment on file that says the coin is authentic?

• Options

It's only my opinion, but given that the coin after
    two decades is still not certified, I would still say
    that none of the 4 TPGS' would certify this coin
    as genuine, even if there were a court judgement
    that says the coin is authentic.

The court can certainly make that determination,
    should it go there, but the court cannot force a
    TPGS to certify/authenticate it. I certainly would
    strongly take the position, to PCGS, that they not
    certify it as genuine.

• Options

Curious that there do not seem to be any modern physical test results, or specifications, or high resolution images of the piece in question. Any owner or potential buyer would be "nutz" to accept the piece as-is.

Further, there is not one reference to the project file and related data in NARA.

In other words, it's the same old routing of "applied ignorance" we see over and over again. Please get some real science into the mix !

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating topic. But also a bit troubling. The feds say its real but (almost) no one else does.... :/

And remember, the Treasury at first declared that the Henning "no P" 1944 nickels were genuine.

Almost makes one think that the gov't might not always be right. :*

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 2:10PM

PS: Here's some additional source material that is publicly available. I've consolidated it from the three finding aids. It is in addition to the files I posted above. This is in NARA at Philadelphia. No one can guarantee anything meaningful will be found even after search every scrap of paper in these boxes. But, that is part of meaningful research.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    And remember, the Treasury at first declared that the Henning "no P" 1944 nickels were genuine.

They did?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@JBK said:

They did?

That is my understanding....

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 2:59PM

@mach1ne said:

3. Altered 9 in the date

I suspect #2, although I have never seen the coin in person, nor have I ever seen a picture of the edge.

If it is indeed a "sandwich" job, one test that would reveal that would be the pitch (resonant frequency) at which it rings when tapped on the edge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file