Home U.S. Coin Forum

Spectacularly Toned 1795 Small Eagle PCGS-65 Bust Dollar - (Off-Center Bust Variety)

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2019 3:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

@TradeDollarNut This👇is one of the Prettiest Coins I’ve Ever Seen!! - WOW! 😁👍

Spectacularly Toned 1795 Small Eagle PCGS-65 Bust Dollar - (Off-Center Bust Variety)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ex Knoxville. Sadly, not mine any more - I bought the Eliasberg coin and sold this example

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 9:18AM

I thought he sold it?

Oops nevermind :#

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMGGGGGG! Wow!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin with some attractive secondary toning. It's usually a great indicator when both TV and SP images are nice.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Virtually nonpareil.
    I'd imagine you could be coaxed back in again at the right number. Wouldn't be the first time ;)
    No one parts with a jewel like this without "seller's remorse", even when ever-so-minutely technically or esthetically trading up. It has nothing to do with leaving money on the table. :(:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone may wish to post why ("Off-Center") is in the OP's title.

Not what I expected. Sure fooled me at first when I saw all the rim intact. :)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin & color, I like

@Insider2 said:

He may look like the 73-year-old virgin, but he's not that innocent :o

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real jewel. Gorgeous. Amazing to think it survived so long in such good condition.

Now, can we debate original vs. secondary toning?

@BryceM said:

Now, can we debate original vs. secondary toning?

That toning pattern indicates greater concentration of sulfur at the rims. Something you would see from being stored in an album and that blue color points to a lack of toning prior to being placed in said album. Envelope and cabinet toning patterns are very different (see @WinLoseWin off-center example above).

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

That piece is of stellar galactic properties. Striking. Like it very much.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if ..I.. sold that, I hope I'd be whipped severely. :o

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Wow that is a stunner

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we need something beyond the "Like" button for something like this.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 4:39PM

@OldAbeinTX I agree with your following quoted post.

We need HOF “Hall of Fame” or MF (You Figure it out) :# Button Option for Super Coins like this!! o:)👍

@oldabeintx said:
    I think we need something beyond the "Like" button for something like this.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! ...and not a spec of rust !

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@Insider2 said:

It is an old though sometimes confusing term referring to Liberty's profile being farther to the left side compared to other 1795 varieties where it is more centered between the stars.

See how PCGS CoinFacts list by this category also:

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/dollars/draped-bust-dollar/type-1-small-eagle-1795-1798/737

I would argue that the "off-center" bust is actually more centered than the "centered" bust..

Collector, occasional seller

edited May 21, 2019 5:29PM

@ChrisH821 said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@Insider2 said:

It is an old though sometimes confusing term referring to Liberty's profile being farther to the left side compared to other 1795 varieties where it is more centered between the stars.

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/dollars/draped-bust-dollar/type-1-small-eagle-1795-1798/737

I would argue that the "off-center" bust is actually more centered than the "centered" bust

Don't give up your day job :'(

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@Insider2 said:

I would argue that the "off-center" bust is actually more centered than the "centered" bust

Minute or two in MS paint, which one looks more centered to you? To me the centered bust is absolutely not in the center, it's to the right of center. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Collector, occasional seller

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:14PM

What’s with All this Double-Talk? 🤣😂 LOL

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YUvrH9xtk

@ChrisH821 said:
    Minute or two in MS paint, which one looks more centered to you? To me the centered bust is absolutely not in the center, it's to the right of center. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Stuart

edited May 21, 2019 8:09PM

The Killer B's are gonna getcha. Was it that wild and crazy Al Bolender? Ken Bressett? Dave Bowers? Mark Borchardt?

Can they stand up to Pythagoras? Do they care????? >:)

I would like to belatedly applaud the OP for renaming this thread so that it cannot be misunderstood by even a 73-year-old virgin. :# Even a very determined one :p

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

What exactly are we calling the bust?

From Webster:

art : a sculptured representation of the upper part of the human figure including the head and neck and usually part of the shoulders and breast
    ex "has a bust of Abraham Lincoln in his office"
    2 : the upper part of the human torso between neck and waist
    especially : the breasts of a woman
    ex "her bust size"

Well, ummm, I suppose if you are using the second definition and are only paying attention to the, ummmm, bust, it, um, well, I suppose, it's actually right of center. @ChrisH821 is not entirely wrong......

;)

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

So which is "real?"

@Realone said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Beautiful coin with some attractive secondary toning. It's usually a great indicator when both TV and SP images are nice.

No makeup i.e. Unjuiced and probably more realistic than the two at a straight on angle even though I am sure it has much more color with the best lighting and at the right angle.

This scan is crap. Coin looks nothing like it

@Realone said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    One should be wary about calling a coin image juiced if you’ve never held it in hand.

So now glamour shots don't exist here?

A glamour shot is not a juiced picture

Yah, other than it’s not completely washed out and lifeless. But whatever

How is pcgs juicing images? They aren’t ...by any definition of the word. Are they getting the light angle perfect? Yes indeed.

Perfect angles, the colors jump. Imperfect angle, they look like the auction image. Certainly not like the scan

But your pronouncements of fact for a coin you’ve never seen certainly are amusing...do keep on

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, it's like a supernova.

@Realone said:
    It appears that I have my own definition of juiced and you have your own. All I know is glamour shots are not real.
    imo

That’s silly. Of course they are real if no color changes are done to them.

edited May 21, 2019 10:24PM

It's fascinating to watch two people troll each other.
    Neither of them is very good at it, but both of them are so easy that they manage to get the worst out of each other with a minimum of effort >:)

edited May 22, 2019 8:20AM

See how easy it is! B)

I feel like Lucy with her sign that says "Psychiatrist - 5c"
    And fondling a football >:)

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m with @realone on this one.
    For me, a juiced image Is any that does not show the coin as it appears to my eyes (or any eyes) in hand, straight on, in good light. It does not have to be edited in post processing to be “juiced”, just sufficiently far away from “yeah, that’s the same coin”.

Many of the true view glamour shots are such that they give me no sense of what the coin looks like in hand. If you buy a coin based on a shot taken in this style, you’ll be disappointed most of the time. However once you OWN the coin, I can see how this type of shot becomes very desirable.

A few years back @wingedliberty posted a nice write-up on TV photos of toners and introduced the concept of "optimal viewing angle" that maximizes the color. I also agree that when it comes to toners, a single image will not be enough to give you a good representation of the coin.

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    I have been a collector of colorfully toned coins for a bit over 1.5 years and have learned a lot about this interesting sub-field of numismatics in that time. During this time, my primary coin photographer has been Phil at PCGS TrueView. Over the past few weeks, I have been amazed to read (on various posts by a few people on a few different coin forums), how some collectors think that PCGS TrueVeiw photos are "juiced" "oversaturated", "unrealistic", or "enhanced".

I have to say that I have probably had over 200 TrueView photos taken for me over the past 18 months and I have never had any photos taken that did not capture the look of the coin -- most typically seen at the optimal viewing angle -- defining "optimal" as the viewing angle that "max's out" the coins color. All of the PCGS TrueView photos I have received, were totally accurate and completely captured the look of the coin at the optimal viewing angle.

One fact that perhaps some collectors might overlook is that a single photo does not (and can not) capture the full spectrum of looks that a colorfully toned coin might show. For that you would need perhaps 5 to 10 photos of a coin (or perhaps a video would be better showing a nearly infinite spread of viewing and lighting angles). So when I see people post that they do NOT find TrueView photos "representative" of a coin, my jaw drops.

Yesterday, it began to dawn on me that perhaps many of the people that think that PCGS TrueViews are not "realistic" don't realize how DIFFERENT colorfully toned coins can look at various view angles. As you tip and tilt a toned coin under the light, the colors and look CHANGES, sometimes drastically. So when a photographer is hired to produce single photo (as is the case for PCGS TrueView), the photographer has to CHOOSE which of the coins various looks to capture in the image.

Most of us "color" lovers typically WANT the photographer to max out the color (even if a coin only shows that color at one special viewing and lighting angle). So this kind of photographing philosophy (maxing the color) might be just assumed by most photographers (as sort of a default) as to what the owner of a colorfully toned coin wants. I have to say, if you don't want that, say something!

Finally, I wanted to add that if you ever SELL a colorfully toned coin, you should always provide a number of photographs showing the various "looks" of the coin from different angles. This is not only good from the point of disclosure, but also helps mitigate returns from disappointed buyers who bought based on a single photo.

If you ever BUY a colorfully toned coin, based on a single photo, realize that the photo shown probably is a maximum color view of the coin and the coin could look more muted from other view angles (esp from straight on). So in this case, an air-tight return policy is in order so you can examine the hundreds of "looks" of the coin in-hand before you decide to keep it.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@ColonelJessup said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@Insider2 said:

I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed... :D

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    For me, a juiced image Is any that does not show the coin as it appears to my eyes (or any eyes) in hand, straight on, in good light. It does not have to be edited in post processing to be “juiced”, just sufficiently far away from “yeah, that’s the same coin”.

Many of the true view glamour shots are such that they give me no sense of what the coin looks like in hand. If you buy a coin based on a shot taken in this style, you’ll be disappointed most of the time. However once you OWN the coin, I can see how this type of shot becomes very desirable.

@scubafuel said:

I'm with TDN on this one. To me, a "glamour shot" is not synonymous with a "juiced" image. I think of the latter as one which has had the color and/or luster manipulated/enhanced, and not just by tilting the coin and/or using optimal lighting conditions.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file