Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This PSA 8 Roberto Clemente hasn't been auctioned in over 2 years.

No, it's not mine, but when I saw it I said to myself, now there's a card you don't see too often. Sure is a tough one and should be exciting to watch. Good luck to the seller. Has been over 2 years since another one was auctioned. That's a long time in the ebay and auction house world in which we live in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-O-Pee-Chee-50-Roberto-Clemente-PSA-8/273856020653?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Comments

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

speaking of back centering...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're willing to wait another 2 years, the next one might be better. Then again, it might not.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

73 OPC is so tough.

But that back would drive PaulMaul nuts.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. Nearly MC on the back.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the other PSA 8's using APR, they all have the similar back centering issue. In fact the one being auctioned sold last in 2013 for $680. Any estimates on what it will bring in today's market?

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I don’t even love the front centering.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back would drive me crazy too. I do not know the card enough though - could be like the 1973 Topps #1 card that really does not exist centered on front and back.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

1973 is one of the toughest years to find centered cards for OPC.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

True but it can't hold a candle to 74, that year they used kleenex to print the cards

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

@Morgoth said:

@waxman2745 said:

True but it can't hold a candle to 74, that year they used kleenex to print the cards

Agreed. It's so tough to find 74 that is not full of wrinkles. The backs are sensitive. 1974 is tough for so many reasons, including the lower production compared to the other '70s issues due to a strike at the factory.

Adam
  • Options

@Rttrffg2012 said:

@1970s said:

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    cool card, I might bid.

Off topic- I have a 1972 Clemente in action with a blank back. Will PSA grade this?

I highly doubt it, but call customer service. They may grade it as a "Trading Card" only.

I called. They said to stick it in my bulk order.
    If they can grade it, they will. Otherwise,N9 and no charge.
    They said they want recognized errors and errors should have a higher value than regular base (I suppose that gives recognition to the error).

A few years ago I sent in a "wrongback" they returned it. You never know what they will decide.

I have a few cards they holdered that were "proof" type cards. I can add them to my set, but no weight is given to them.

Let us know what they do.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cross that over and it will receive the rare PSA 9 OF

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 7:50PM

@waxman2745 said:

Definitely a crazy tough year. The back centering on this OPC Bench is not very good but I was still able to recently get it to bump from PSA 8 to an 8.5. I would love to see someone post a centered front and back 73 OPC and a 74 OPC.

• Options

That Bench is stunning! No one really cares about the backs.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks. One of my favorite OPC Bench cards I have.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:

Cross that over and it will receive the rare PSA 9 OF

Centering looks like it meets the grade for a OPC. This particular card is TOUGH to find well centered.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@1970s said:

@balco758 said:

. I would love to see someone post a centered front and back 73 OPC and a 74 OPC.

I can do that when I get home tonight. I have the only PSA 9 of Catfish Hunter from this year, plus a few others that are dead centered front and back. Or were you only talking about the Bench ? I'll have to check my 74's also. I believe 74 will be much, much tougher.

Talking about any. Post away.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@waxman2745 said:

Definitely a crazy tough year. The back centering on this OPC Bench is not very good but I was still able to recently get it to bump from PSA 8 to an 8.5. I would love to see someone post a centered front and back 73 OPC and a 74 OPC.

Love that 73 Bench card

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

My tale of woe(pee-chee)...both pack pulled by me years ago...so exciting and disappointing at the same time!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 4:02PM

@1970s said:
    All my 74's are disasters. Here is the best and the worst. LOL.
    O-Pee-Chee was in London, Ontario, as was the Labatt brewing company. LOL.

>

I think that Holtzman might get a MC qualifier.

• Options

@1970s said:
    This Larry Haney is just incredible.

That is a great looking Haney. Wow!!! Catfish is pretty awesome as well.

• Options

That Winfield RC is great. I have the Parker and Winfield as well I need to find the picts.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

My Schmidt

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of Chuck Norris in that pic lol

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

Here are my winfield and parker

• Options

• Options

I forgot I had this one too

• Options

Another 73 I forgot I had until I looked

• Options

@Morgoth those are some great looking cards, particularly the Winfield and Ryan PSA 7. A 7 or higher from 1974 is so tough. Congrats!

Adam
  • Options

Thanks, I have been collecting OPC's for a long time but it isn't part of my main goals for collecting. My best OPC I think is my 68 OPC Stargell PSA 7

• Options

@Morgoth said:
    Thanks, I have been collecting OPC's for a long time but it isn't part of my main goals for collecting. My best OPC I think is my 68 OPC Stargell PSA 7

Wow! That's one of the "short" cards I think. I thought PSA did not holder the short cards from this set? If you happen to have another 68, does the Stargell seem shorter than the other card?

Adam
  • Options

It is short and it got graded before they quit grading it. It is one of the hardest cards to find for a Stargell registry

• Options

I won the Clemente and received it today. It is OC on the back but it looks like a 9 on the front to me.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Thanks. One of my favorite OPC Bench cards I have.

It's a great card -- while with some effort I've found '73s (not even OPCs) with somewhat centered fronts, for a good number of them I've seen only backs that border on miscut -- it drives me crazy and it's a shame as I'd really like to collect the set! :smile: