Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some questions for all you Sportslots buyers and sellers

I see that they have a feedback system with percentages, but I can't seem to read any of the feedback. Here are my questions:

1) Are the feedback responses that are left for sellers readable?
2) Why would they have customers leave worded feedback responses if they aren't going to be readable by other customers? (maybe only sportslots can answer this)
3) Is there any viewable data to see what brands/years/cards sell better than others on the site?
4) If you are a sportslots seller, how do you like it? I know it's cards that are nearly impossible to sell on eBay, but maybe you can give me some other pros and cons for selling there.

I'm sure I have other questions, but let's start the discussion here for now.

Thanks, Nick

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Nick , I've bought from them many times and have done ok with finding odd-ball stuff , cheaper than other venues . Unbelievable I've actually found some cards that have pulled 10's , but they are far and few in between .

As far as the feedback system goes , its adequate , but hardly revealing about seller's . As a rule I go in with lower expectations to curb my disappointment , but keep in mind , one can stumble on a rare gem , now and then .-- Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the response Sonny.

Anyone else? It can't be that nobody else here is buying and/or selling on sportslots.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally haven't done anything on Sportslots, but believe @rexvos did for a while at least. Maybe this will get his attention ;)

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 4:12PM

I use sportslots to complete the modern sets I am working on. I don't pay attention to the feedback since each buy from any seller is less than $20. Overall I am very happy with the cards I get. The condition is typically what I need it to be for the sets, i haven't gotten any dinged or creased cards. Occasionally the lot is missing a card or they send me the wrong variation but it is rare and the cost advantage is very much worth it. The S&H can get out of hand, so you need to be smart about bundling the purchases.

I haven't sold on it yet, but I plan to list all of the football refractors I have on it as a slow drain from my hoard.

Mike
  • Options

Thanks Mike. Hopefully we here some from the selling side too.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

(1) I generally do not pay attention to the FB, dont know if they can be read, but have found that sportlot buyers are generally worse than ebay buyers in their love of negs/neuts. 20+ years on ebay, no negs, 10 years on SL, have three negs and 2 neuts over 18 cent cards that they didnt get in a day or two

(2) Because theyre doofuses

(3) They have some kind of thing on their front page of what is new and "hot", but its worthless. From my experience, short print commons from AG/Heritage etc sell better. (think set collectors needing to complete sets)

(4) Basically, its a time sink. If you have time to list some commons, it really doesnt cost anything to list. I basically sell $10-$20 a month on there. Gives me a little extra cash to spend on ebay, but honestly, NOBODY is making big money on the site

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

I typically buy cards for my PCs. If there is a base card I need to get graded, Ill find the buyer who has the most of that card for the cheapest and buy 10-15. I have had some PSA 9s and 10s doing that. The pricing is usually cheaper, for almost every variation of a card.

Many times have I added many cards only to empty my cart and start over because the shipping ends up costing the same as the cards themselves (because of buying from many sellers, which one should avoid on there to keep s/h down)

• Options

Thanks for the response @mtcards

@skrezyna23 said:
    Many times have I added many cards only to empty my cart and start over because the shipping ends up costing the same as the cards themselves (because of buying from many sellers, which one should avoid on there to keep s/h down)

It looks like you can buy from many sellers on there for a cheaper shipping if you can wait a while for your cards. They way I'm reading it is that if you buy from 3 or 4 different sellers, they all ship to sportslots, and then once sportslots has your whole order, they ship to you in one shipment.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fill 100 to 150 orders a month on Sportlots. I can see my feedback. Some people do leave blank feedback. I charge $1 for PWE shipping 1 to 4 cards. $3.50 and up for padded envelope shipping. In my experience you never know what is going to sell, but shipping price is key, also certain sellers like myself have the fill to box option where you get discounts if you have your orders shipped to a Sportlots box. My discount is 50 percent, not everyone offers the same discount, and some do not participate in the program.

Pm me if you need to contact me for any more specific questions. Easier to answer in a conversation instead of typing

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

On average I sell about $300 to $500 a month on the site

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

I think I've bought from you before if your id is the same.

I've wanted to sell on the site, mainly to build funds to buy the singles I need for the sets I am working on. Since there aren't any pictures, it is easy to do bulk listings? Let's say I want to list all of the cards in a set, can I do a mass upload based on the sets?

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:

@rexvos said:

I think I've bought from you before if your id is the same.

I've wanted to sell on the site, mainly to build funds to buy the singles I need for the sets I am working on. Since there aren't any pictures, it is easy to do bulk listings? Let's say I want to list all of the cards in a set, can I do a mass upload based on the sets?

Yes. It is time consuming. I can’t remember if my name is rexvos or rattay13 on Sportlots. I would start with a set you have a lot of it helps to get things rolling

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

It looks like you can buy from many sellers on there for a cheaper shipping if you can wait a while for your cards. They way I'm reading it is that if you buy from 3 or 4 different sellers, they all ship to sportslots, and then once sportslots has your whole order, they ship to you in one shipment.

I think that's only if you are choosing the box shipping option?

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 7:41PM

@rexvos said:
    Yes. It is time consuming. I can’t remember if my name is rexvos or rattay13 on Sportlots. I would start with a set you have a lot of it helps to get things rolling

I just checked and you are rattay13 on there Mike, and thanks for all the good info.

Does sportslots send sellers any tax reporting info, or are sellers on their own to report? Maybe they have a threshold like paypal where they wont send you anything until you hit 200 transactions or $20,000?

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 8:52PM

The great thing about Sportlots to me is all payments are made to Sportlots. They hold until the end of the month. Then you can either request a credit to your account or a payout via either check or PayPal gift. So basically you police yourself. They pay out on time first of the month. Your sales plus your shipping costs minus site fees and PayPal charges they incur. Fees are on a sliding scale the more you sell the less you pay. Percentage is high but you are unloading commons for the most part at .18 to $2 a clip. There are lots of cheap sets that I do very well selling hundreds of commons and prospect cards

• Options

@rexvos said:
    The great thing about Sportlots to me is all payments are made to Sportlots. They hold until the end of the month. Then you can either request a credit to your account or a payout via either check or PayPal gift. So basically you police yourself. They pay out on time first of the month. Your sales plus your shipping costs minus site fees and PayPal charges they incur. Fees are on a sliding scale the more you sell the less you pay. Percentage is high but you are unloading commons for the most part at .18 to $2 a clip. There are lots of cheap sets that I do very well selling hundreds of commons and prospect cards

So they dont send out a 1099-K?

• Options

@nam812 said:

@rexvos said:

No. They do not

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I have always had great luck buying on sportlots. There are certain cards I have grabbed up over the years and while the percentage is low, I do get a few 10s for the ones I submit. I'll give you an example - I purchased 57 1992 Fleer Jordan base cards, most of which were like 25 cents a piece. I probably submitted 10 of the 57 cards and got 7 10's out of the batch. I have also purchased multiple Tom Brady refractors and 2002 SP Authentic when they were cheap and got a LOT of cards to sub and come back 10s. I did well with those before the market exploded. So, my point is, on average, depending on what you buy, you can do very well, especially with the newer stuff. Yeah, you will get some duds here and there but it is what it is.

I have also sold before and you have to be EXTREMELY well organized. While Sportlots does have a quite easy to use setup, it's still super time consuming. I just didn't find the time I put into it bring me enough money to make it worth continuing. Especially with their commission percentages. With modern, there is a ton of competition.

For me, Sportlots is a great place as a buyer so with people like me, it probably makes it a great place for some sellers.

I would consider doing it again if I could buy breaker's leftovers cheap. There are some breakers who only mail out the hits. If I could get their boxes of base cards, I would consider doing it again as a modern seller.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@yankeeno7 said:

Way too many words for this early in the morning Barry

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@yankeeno7 said:

Way too many words for this early in the morning Barry

Why didn't you make Dave Kingman yell at him?

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 8:40AM

I definitely missed an opportunity because Barry does deserve the full wrath of the Kingman

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I had my coffee this morning so Im quite talkative.

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

Quoted for posterity.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 3:08PM

I was about to make my first purchase on Sportslots when I remembered this thread. I have to say the website is old school, but it works well. It is easy enough to find what you need and I really like how the cart page works. They didn't fix something that wasn't broken and try to make it flashy. It sounds like the selling side works well too. I may consider using them to try and offload some of my monster boxes of junk. I'll have to check and see if rattay13 has anything I need before I click the big button :)

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Sportslots is a great source for sure!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 9:19AM

I have been buying from sports lots to fill sets or upgrade cards and only one seller sent me Garbage that was graded near mint.
    There are some fine sellers on the sight and quite accurate on grading.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)