Home Sports Talk
Options

For Coinstartled and the other MLB haters, I present to you the rare Complete Game in MLB.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, the fans in Cleveland were treated to what has become somewhat of a rarity(I love using coin-related terms here) in Major League Baseball, a 9-inning complete game. It was tossed by the starter for the good guys, Shane Beiber, not to be confused that other guy with the same last name. Below is his stat line. I am disheartened by the fact that the Indians "erupted" for 10 runs and 11 hits to slow the pace of what might have been an otherwise fast game. that would have meant a double-fantasy with a game close to two hours in length. As it was the time stretched to 2:49, close to average.

The line in a nutshell is 9-innings and 107 pitches with no walks and 15 K's.
Al H.

layer IP H R ER BB K HR BFP Pit B-S ERA OpBA
S. Bieber, (W 3-2) 9.0 5 0 0 0 15 0 31 107 32 - 75 3.22 .210

Time: 2:49
Attendance - 21,377

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Cleveland fans, I always have a soft spot for Cleveland and their fans 🍻

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got him on my fantasy squad. Cha-Ching!

Andy

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy complete games. And I miss the time when there was a chance of them happening more often. Thanks for sharing this.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good story, Keets. Impressed that the game was under three hours particularly with that much action. Why only 21,000 on a mid May Sunday?

• Options

until the last 4-5 days it has been unseasonably cold and wet in Northeastern Ohio and to be honest the Indians have been playing like shit due to injuries. add to that a declining population and an economy which is not faring well, 21k was a good crowd.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can one walk up and buy a decent seat or are they all locked up by season ticket holders.

That was frustrating at Tiger stadium during final visit 1994 I believe. Team was terrible yet the good seats were accounted for and were mostly empty.

• Options

we are going to the game this evening but we already have tickets. yes, you can walk-up, but to be honest, I doubt anyone does that. you buy with your phone and then use your phone at the gate.

it is a Brave New World out there.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

The Phillies Zach Eflin earlier this month pitched back to back 9 inning complete games. Can't remember the last time a pitcher went back to back complete games before that.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is all this excitement over complete games!? Runs is what it is all about. I couldn't care less how man pitchers either team uses myself.

• Options

see, Jon, thinking like that is part of the problem with MLB right now. the game has become a nine inning HRD with the Commissioner helping by streamlining the ball. that has a double affect: less wind resistance allows the ball to fly a longer distance and it also negates any spin to allow the pitcher to throw breaking balls.

there is no longer any strategy.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    see, Jon, thinking like that is part of the problem with MLB right now. the game has become a nine inning HRD with the Commissioner helping by streamlining the ball. that has a double affect: less wind resistance allows the ball to fly a longer distance and it also negates any spin to allow the pitcher to throw breaking balls.

there is no longer any strategy.

Don't get me wrong Keets. I like strategy and I like good pitching. It's just that the "complete game" thing means nothing to me. I would rather have a team where everyone hit .300 or better (like the Big Red Machine) of the 70's and just outscore you than a home run derby. I wasn't a Cardinal fan, but loved "Whitey Ball" baseball.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2019 11:49AM

@keets said:

not if you're agoraphobic. :)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@keets said:

not if you're agoraphobic. :)

Pretty bad if you're "caste" as a Delta or Epsilon too.