Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple newps for the weekend

Buying has slowed down considerably, but I had a few coins saved up to image and found some time this morning.

The first one comes courtesy of @MrEureka, I have a real weakness for nice original coins with interesting chopmarks. Not a rare or even scarce coin with chops, but fairly tough to find with nice eye appeal. It's a little bit dished from all the punching.

The next one is an eBay pickup. Like the trade dollar above, these are very common both with and without Chinese Chopmarks. However, finding one with chops that isn't totally thrashed and/or cleaned and any sort of eye appeal is very tough. This one will fill the hole for this type for a while. It's not a perfect coin, but I like it.

Feel free to comment or post your own newps below.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups for your special collection Dan !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye appeal - well done!

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. Have a nice weekend.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific additions. Thanks for posting these. Sometimes I doubt there is an appreciation for coins such as these in terms of how many survived. I doubt that 30-40 years ago there was the interest in chop marks and the history behind them. So my point is simple in terms of what survived from the uninformed from melting history in World Commerce.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely nice pick ups. Love 'em. Congrats!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    edited May 18, 2019 6:40PM

Thanks @EVillageProwler, appreciate it. Could you see if this character/symbol is familiar to your wifey?

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 8:17AM

Dan - that Peso is wonderful - even with a bit of blue rim toning on the reverse!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Nice! Just picked this up, haven't had a Chile Peso chopmarked before, any comments as to scarcity? Thanks!

• Options

@Que_sai_je said:
    Nice! Just picked this up, haven't had a Chile Peso chopmarked before, any comments as to scarcity? Thanks!

Nice pickup. I was the 2nd or third underbidder on that one, would have bid stronger but I already have an example of the type. These aren't rare but they aren't common either (with chopmarks). I really like the design of the coin, although it's confusing which is obverse vs. reverse.

Are you getting into collecting chopmarked coins Que_sai_je?

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan,

I asked a real Chinese person who sits next to me. She said it’s a word fragment but thinks it means “protect”. Chinese are superstitious so we have lots of instances like this in our culture.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:
    @OriginalDan,

I asked a real Chinese person who sits next to me. She said it’s a word fragment but thinks it means “protect”. Chinese are superstitious so we have lots of instances like this in our culture.

EVP

Thanks EVP, I appreciate your help.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done OD!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Wow! They are stunning.. love the toning on these coins, the strike is sharp and crisp as well.. cheers!