Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Would you buy this card?

I don't want to know if you really like the card, I want to know if you like the player and autograph. Aaron Hernandez was convicted of murder and later killed himself in prison. I am a big Patriots fan and like to collect their stuff. This at first seems like a cute memento, but could you bring you bad mojo? I mean a guy as messed up as he was actually signed that card or whatever. Am I crazy or not? You must say its a little creepy. I think I'll pass.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. He took another man's life. Same goes for OJ Simpson cards.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

he only played 3 seasons also, it's not like he is going to the hall of fame, no upside on this card

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 12:59PM

@CommemKing said:

but could you bring you bad mojo? I mean a guy as messed up as he was actually signed that card or whatever. Am I crazy or not?

Everybody has their beliefs and superstitions. That said, I don't believe that picking up a card of a player that committed a crime well bring any bad luck. There are lots of players, past and present, that were crappy people or committed heinous acts. It doesn't stop me from collecting cards. If they're part of the team that I collect and I need it, I'd buy it. It's just a hobby and doesn't need to be complicated.
    However, if the card bothers you that much, buy it and throw darts at it😁

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Look what happened when news broke of the Menedez brothers being captured in the background of an otherwise worthless early 90s junk common card. People are odd.

If I collected Patriots and especially autographs, I would want one. His career stats will never change, but as time passes and people continue to collect, finding his autograph may prove more and more diffuclt and likely more and more expensive, especially with a back story like that.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I just checked and there are plenty of buyers for his certified autos in the $20-50 range, sometimes more. His career alone certainly doesn't warrant that kind of pricing.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

buy the card
    no bad karma will follow. complete the team cards.

He is not signing like mantle and DiMaggio still are.

People dipped their hankies in Dillinger's blood.
    They wanted a piece of Lincoln's bloody hair and clothes.
    People collect Hitler and Nazi memorabilia

The fact you are even questioning this purchase leads me to believe you are decent guy

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Odds are both of these guys had severe cases of CTE which heavily affected them and led to their outcomes

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    Odds are both of these guys had severe cases of CTE which heavily affected them and led to their outcomes

Both?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 5:30PM

Hernandez shot a young man in the prime of his life to death. His name was Odin Lloyd.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Both meaning OJ Simpson and Aaron Hernandez.

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 6:01PM

@ArtVandelay said:

Bull. Hope they rot in hell.

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Is there a guys convicted registry? Nevermind, that would be the whole NFL.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 7:24AM

His cards should be banned on Ebay. You cannot openly sell any Hitler cards even though WWII sets include his . Ray Carrouth comes to mind also. Convicted murders.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

What's sad is it probably has more collectability now than when he was playing to some.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@CommemKing said:

but could you bring you bad mojo? I mean a guy as messed up as he was actually signed that card or whatever. Am I crazy or not?

Everybody has their beliefs and superstitions. That said, I don't believe that picking up a card of a player that committed a crime well bring any bad luck. There are lots of players, past and present, that were crappy people or committed heinous acts. It doesn't stop me from collecting cards. If they're part of the team that I collect and I need it, I'd buy it. It's just a hobby and doesn't need to be complicated.
    However, if the card bothers you that much, buy it and throw darts at it😁

I agree. If you're a set collector or team collector, you would have to have it to complete your set