Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Austria and Luxembourg silver-niobium coins

I collect these as they are very attractive. The question I have is this-when will they end? I thought I heard 2020 for the Luxembourg series but I'm afraid the Austrian series will go on forever, at least as long as they are money makers. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I have never heard of these do you have some pictures?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a collage of the ones from Austria. Luxembourg has a very similar set

• Options

Here's one from Luxembourg. The Austrian coins started in 2003 and these started in 2009.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

That's pretty unique. Did the euro mints make these to try and get more interest in collecting like the US mint has done in the past?

• Options

The Austrian Mint coined them for both countries.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one has to take these gizmos seriously. Would be fun to use them in a board game. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

To each their own. I like 'em.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 1:03PM

@koynekwest I also collect the Austrian Niobium Set. They are innovative and different from most other coins. In Europe and Asia they are more popular, although I believe some in the US are starting to notice them more.

I haven’t read of an end date. Given that the Austrian coins aren’t necessarily part of a larger theme (the only common design element among all is that they are made of Silver & Niobium), I could see them being made indefinitely. The Luxembourg ones could end when they run out of buildings. :D

By the way, have you looked into the Tantalum coins from Kazakhstan? Those have a common theme-space-and the series has ended (2006-2015). They also have lower mintages and are generally more affordable than the Austrian Niobium coins.

I posted about Niobium coins a while back:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/983750/anyone-collect-the-austrian-niobium-coins-or-another-bimetallic-series-post-your-examples

• Options

Here is an example of the Kazakhstan Tantalum coin from 2014:

• Options

Thanks for your meaningful comments, U1chicago. I kinda like those Kazakhstan coins, too.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2020 7:49AM

@koynekwest I recently discovered this niobium medal and was wondering if you or anyone else has heard of it or seen one before?

I found that it is also from Austria and the same silver/niobium combo as the coins. The mintage is lower at 15,000. I've been looking for one but can't find any for sale outside of a few that seem optimistically priced at random European stores. One sold for a very reasonable 35 euro price on MA shops (but I saw it too late).

https://numismatik.eu/Ag-Medaille-2005-Staatsvertrag-pp

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I collect these as they are very attractive. The question I have is this-when will they end? I thought I heard 2020 for the Luxembourg series but I'm afraid the Austrian series will go on forever, at least as long as they are money makers.

I think you answered your own question! LOL

Look at the Isle of Man cat coins. Very popular and going on forever.