Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Soccer Fakes/Reprints? (PSA Graded) - 2000 Panini Fotboll Ibrahimovic, 1974 Ageducatifs Platini

Recently purchased a 2000 Panini Fotboll Zlatan Ibrahmivoc RC, sold as authentic, which to my untrained eye, certainly appears to be a reprint. If true, this wouldn't be the first time these have been produced for top tier rookies. In this case, it appears one from this same batch has received a PSA 10 (see: https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/items/1988529). Indeed, it can be said that this isn't the first reprint to have made it through PSA, as a known reprint of the 1974 Ageducatifs Platini is likely to have done the same (see: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12085711#Comment_12085711)

I've scanned both an original (known to have come from a sealed set and unquestionably authentic), along with the culprit. Both were scanned at the same resolution, with the same settings. I also included an identical cropped (and scaled) section from both, showing the difference in appearance (the original appears to be dot printed, the fake looks very very pixelated).

I'm interested to hear what you think, and if I ought to alert PWCC and PSA to this.

Authentic Front:

Questionable Front:

Authentic Front Zoom:

Questionable Front Zoom:

Authentic Back:

Questionable Back:

Authentic Back Zoom:

Questionable Back Zoom:

Comments

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 10:15PM

It's two different cards. The shadowing around the logo is different. Wouldn't hurt to let PSA know. I doubt PWCC would care as they are just the middle man.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Wait, you think it's simply a different a different version and not a reprint/fake?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to settle this is to contact PSA and let them know your thoughts, otherwise you'll always have doubts.

• Options

I've posted in both net54 and blowout forums and I'm 99% sure this is a reprint.. without even looking at the zoomed in portions, you can clearly tell from the low resolution that it is reprinted. It's amazing to me though that this sort of thing passed through PSA. I will definitely contact them, as well as PWCC.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a side note, FWIW, there are tons and tons of counterfeit repro 1967 Panini Calciatori cards circulating out there that a bad seller in Italy mass-produced and then distributed into the market through ebay.it (but not on the USA .com site)

• Options

Yes, I've seen these of George Best/Pele/Beckenbauer, others.. As I recall they were done fairly well, making it considerably more difficult to tell what was a reprint and what wasn't.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a Mira Tuttosport reprint set a couple of weeks ago on Ebay Italy. The seller was honest and told me it was a reprint set. I didn't realize they made reprints of that particular set. It was a 1968 Mira Tuttosport set. I have been looking for a 1968 Mira Tuttosport Joe Louis for a long time and thought I had it finally. I decided to ask the seller about it, and thank goodness he was honest. It can be very tricky when it comes to these types of things.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I saw a Mira Tuttosport reprint set a couple of weeks ago on Ebay Italy. The seller was honest and told me it was a reprint set. I didn't realize they made reprints of that particular set. It was a 1968 Mira Tuttosport set. I have been looking for a 1968 Mira Tuttosport Joe Louis for a long time and thought I had it finally. I decided to ask the seller about it, and thank goodness he was honest. It can be very tricky when it comes to these types of things.

The guy who made those fake 1968 Mira cards did it by printing on single side sticker sheets and putting them together. Sometimes he didn't line them up straight, and others, he even reversed the orientation of the back side relative to the front. They are terrible, and very easy to tell from the right ones in hand without comparing to good ones.

For the 1968 Panini Calciatori fakes, they are very easy side by side with real ones, but not as easy as the Mira ones if you are just holding a fake. The colors on the back side are wrong. The front sides look very dot-matrixy on the fakes compared with the real ones. I've seen a couple 1968 Panini in PSA holders w/ high grades unfortunately, but I've never seen a slabbed fake 1968 Mira.