Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Ted Simmons Rookie

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why has this card exploded in the last couple of years? I think I paid around $50-60 for a nice PSA 8 sometime in 2016, now it seems to be selling for $250.

Comments

• Options

I looked it up, I paid $55 for a PSA 8 in May, 2015.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

He came within one vote last year, of being elected by the veterans committee, for induction in the Hall of Fame.

People now see him as a very possible HOF inductee in the near future.

Steve

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Should be a HOFER

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

The prices were stable for awhile until I noticed seller paddedwarriors1129 (1011) started to list some for sale. He has a PSA 9 listed for $3,399.99. He also listed a PSA 8.5 right around the time Probstein listed one as well, then took it down. If you look at the bid history on all of the 1971 Simmons PSA cards sold, you'll notice a***r (1011) as a bidder. He bid $540 on the Probstein PSA 8.5.

• Options

The PSA 8 that just ended on PWCC last night went for $455!

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

This would be good if I already owned a graded copy. I'll have to see what my raw copy looks like. Maybe it's worth grading now.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Great player. Long overdue for HOF consideration. If not for Fisk and Bench (and Munson) stealing the limelight, he probably would have been the premier catcher of the '70s and already in the Hall.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not for being 4th best at best he would have been the best

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but not seeing any numbers or metrics that would lead me to select him for the HOF. Less than 300 HR’s, career .285 average, never led the league in any category. What am I missing. Slightly above average player overall so guess the HOF has lowered the bar.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

He will get the Hall Call in December.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how to rate this - I'm not pushing this one way or the other.

Some stats...

8 time AS
    1 Silver Slugger award
    WAR position player - 5 seasons top 10
    WAR offensive player - 4 seasons top 10
    BA - 6 seasons top 10
    1 WS appearance - 1982 - no ring

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Sorry but not seeing any numbers or metrics that would lead me to select him for the HOF. Less than 300 HR’s, career .285 average, never led the league in any category. What am I missing. Slightly above average player overall so guess the HOF has lowered the bar.

The bar has already been lowered with the induction of Jack Morris and Harold Baines, lol..

I do think Simmons will get in at some point. He was also a very good defensive catcher but largely overshadowed in the NL by Johnny Bench.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    maxdomemaxdome Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I hope he makes the hall of fame . I think he was one of the best hitting catchers of all time . During his prime (71-1980), he averaged .300 and 90 RBI's . The Cardinals were a below average team during that time. He didn't have very much protection in that lineup. He led the NL in intentional walks in 76 and 77. From 75-79 he had 99 intentional walks. He was a threat from both sides of the plate and I do remember him hitting a lot of doubles . Catching all the home games on Astroturf in hot weather must of been no easy task. He had a great swing and didn't strike out that often . To me it always seemed that he hit the ball hard.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add Gary Carter to the list.

I think that Simmons is the best eligible catcher not in the HoF, but I don't see a huge need to put him in. He's not exactly a glaring omission. I can go either way on him.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    With the election of Baines, Simmons is a shoo in for the HOF.

And Parker, Garvey, and Murphy.

And what about Thurman Munson? Who was better? Munson or Simmons?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    With the election of Baines, Simmons is a shoo in for the HOF.

And Parker, Garvey, and Murphy.

And what about Thurman Munson? Who was better? Munson or Simmons?

Simmons was better than all of them (only Munson is in the same ballpark). However, all are far, far better than Baines.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

In the current edition of the Bill James Handbook, he names Simmons as the third best player who is eligible for the HOF, but not in ( not counting roiders). The top two are Bill Dahlwn and Lou Whitaker. He considers Ted to be better than 78 players in the Hall.

• Options

Bill and Lou don’t belong in the Hall either.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

The modern era ballots came out today. Love to see Simmons finally get in.

https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28012387/which-modern-era-candidates-get-baseball-hall-fame

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Beautifull card you posted Dave.

The Cardinals were very good in the 60s and 80s but they were pretty bad in the 70s during Simmons time with them. He was one of the few bright spots

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope he gets in. Not many catchers reach 2,000 hits let alone nearly 2500. I know people don't like to take into account position but I think you have to factor it in for catchers and great fielding middle infielders like Ozzie Smith and Bill Mazeroski.

Incidentally, I just got back a PSA 8 1971 Simmons Topps and PSA 8 1971 OPC Simmons. I'll try and post them tonight.

• Options

@gemint said:
    I hope he gets in. Not many catchers reach 2,000 hits let alone nearly 2500. I know people don't like to take into account position but I think you have to factor it in for catchers and great fielding middle infielders like Ozzie Smith and Bill Mazeroski.

Incidentally, I just got back a PSA 8 1971 Simmons Topps and PSA 8 1971 OPC Simmons. I'll try and post them tonight.

Would love to see those!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has become Hall of very noteworthy.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think Simmons will make it. We will see.

• Options

@balco758 said:

No. After some of the picks the Veterans Committee made in the '70s, the standards have greatly improved. They'll never be that low again.

• Options

@daltex said:

@balco758 said:

No. After some of the picks the Veterans Committee made in the '70s, the standards have greatly improved. They'll never be that low again.

See Harold Baines from last year.

• Options

I did. Baines won't be the typical selection.

• Options

Looks like ebay seller paddedwarriors1129 (1253) is back at it bidding on recently ended psa 8 cards to keep raising the standard price of the 71 Simmons psa cards he wants to sell.

• Options

Awesome pair of cards! Love the backs of the ‘71 OPC.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 10:15PM

I have this beautiful PSA 8.5 ‘71 Topps Simmons ready to sell once he gets in:

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful cards from 71 guys - such a hard year to find nice cards.

Simmons has good numbers, but don’t see the case for him being in the HOF on any level. Good not great player who averaged 66 RBI a year and 12 HR a year with a career .285 average. Never lead the league in any category, no WS wins, career postseason .186 average, and threw out a low percent of base stealers. There are no players in the HOF with stats this poor, and zero postseason success. Can’t see any metric that gets him in - period. Dale Murphy has a much better case numbers wise IMO.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

That 71 Simmons card looks like a 9.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Finally! A HOF'er!

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

well I have a psa 6 simmons rookie. I just do not see myself getting a seven just too much for me now. I am glad to see him get in being a lifelong cardinals fan it great see another cardinal in the hall of fame.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Here are the Simmons cards I just got back from PSA.

WOW! Sweet cards but big difference in grading between the Topps 8 and OPC PSA 8 IMO

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

So he did get voted in!! Can’t believe Whitaker didn’t though!!

• Options

Congrats to Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller. Crazy on the 1971 set - growing up Garvey was the big rookie from the set. Now there are two HOF rookies that weren’t widely collected in the 80s.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad Ted got in finally. was really surprised about Lou though. I thought after trammell got in a couple of years ago, Whittaker was almost a shoe in.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

This was Whitaker's first year on the ballot and he had a solid showing with six votes. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets inducted in 2022. It was nice to see Dwight Evans, Dave Parker and Steve Garvey making positive moves in the voting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/ted-simmons-marvin-miller-elected-to-baseball-hall-of-fame.html

"Twelve of 16 votes were required for induction, and each Modern Era committee member could vote for a maximum of four candidates. Simmons (13 votes) led the field while Miller hit the 12-vote minimum on the dot. For Simmons, today’s news represents some relief after his near-miss during the last Modern Era ballot in 2017. Simmons fell only a single vote short of the twelve required for entry into Cooperstown (Miller was also on that 2017 ballot, receiving seven votes).

Of the other eight players on this year’s ballot, Dwight Evans (eight votes), Dave Parker (seven votes), Steve Garvey (six votes), and Lou Whitaker (six votes) all made particularly strong showings, while Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson, and Dale Murphy each received three or fewer votes. These eight players will again be eligible for consideration during the next Modern Era vote in December 2022."

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@rbsalezman said:
    This was Whitaker's first year on the ballot and he had a solid showing with six votes. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets inducted in 2022. It was nice to see Dwight Evans, Dave Parker and Steve Garvey making positive moves in the voting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/ted-simmons-marvin-miller-elected-to-baseball-hall-of-fame.html

"Twelve of 16 votes were required for induction, and each Modern Era committee member could vote for a maximum of four candidates. Simmons (13 votes) led the field while Miller hit the 12-vote minimum on the dot. For Simmons, today’s news represents some relief after his near-miss during the last Modern Era ballot in 2017. Simmons fell only a single vote short of the twelve required for entry into Cooperstown (Miller was also on that 2017 ballot, receiving seven votes).

Of the other eight players on this year’s ballot, Dwight Evans (eight votes), Dave Parker (seven votes), Steve Garvey (six votes), and Lou Whitaker (six votes) all made particularly strong showings, while Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson, and Dale Murphy each received three or fewer votes. These eight players will again be eligible for consideration during the next Modern Era vote in December 2022."

It's interesting, because Harold Reynolds said last night after the announcement that any player who received less than 3 votes (John, Mattingly, Munson and Murphy) would not be eligible again. I found that bizarre, and have not seen it in writing since.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted's deserving. His comments after being elected last night were nothing but class. That guy loved the sport and really cherished his time in it and is obviously proud and extremely grateful to finally be in Cooperstown.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Great for Simmons ,I was surprised it did not happen earlier.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    gurban12gurban12 Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 11:24AM

I just got a 1971 Simmons graded. Came back PSA 7.

Delivered today. Edit to add pic.