Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quick Opinion THE GAME

So before I tell you what quick opinion said...what do ya'll think?
A

Single Signed.. American League Ball

Please give a reason for your opinion...

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, I don't like the end of the sig. His last name is usually pretty level.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an area I never know.

But, I like when people ask for opinions since it forces me to look at PSA/DNA exemplars and try to learn?

I looked at a bunch of supposed "good" ones on eBay.

I noticed that the "g"s in Dimaggio are consistently spaced out while the ones in the name above are not.

Mike
  • Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

I looked at a bunch of supposed "good" ones on eBay.

I noticed that the "g"s in Dimaggio are consistently spaced out while the ones in the name above are not.

interesting..i have not noticed that on other samples. I always have a hard time dealing with the fact, that a ball could have been handed to a player at any moment in any location with any writing instrument....who knows how it was signed and I am sure the player never pays attention.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure, but the suspense is driving me crazy.😉

• Options

Just for good gamesmanship, I'll guess............. IT'S REAL.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like it was penned by a feminine hand.

• Options

I'll guess its real because I realize that all signatures aren't going to be the same. Players sign things under different circumstances each time. They sign with different pens. They sometimes sign in a hurry. Every signature isn't going to be the exact same.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019 10:39AM

My guess is not authentic.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

no one will ever know with any certainty.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I dabbled in some autographs years ago but this is why I moved away from them. Like was said earlier I could sign 20 different balls and depending on many factors they could all look so different when I am done. It is just an opinion on the coa...... you can never be certain unless you saw it signed in person

• Options

Its a catch 22..you either have to see it done and then keep it or believe in the grading system. We as collectors have too much stock in these grades and authenticators, but it happened because we flooded the market with fake crap for so long.
    growing up i knew which card shop to stay away from and which ones to go too and it just got worse from here....

• Options

Found one on eBay mighty similar to the one I posted that I sent to PSA .....What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-DiMaggio-Signed-AL-Baseball-PSA-DNA-Full-Letter-Yankees-Autograph/303160290386?hash=item4695c2ec52:g:GrcAAOSwYM5c4XrW

• Options

PSA SENT IN RESULT!...LNG :'(

• Options

Every autograph isn't going to be the exact same.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

The biggest issue to me is the wave in the loop of the first G.

Ed--just because you can't hack it w/ autos doesn't mean no one else can. Tired of seeing people disparage parts of the hobby that they don't understand.

• Options

@MrHockey interesting point. I am just wary of the quick opinion, but I suppose the piece of mind is worth then $10. I just wonder if anyone ever got a LG (likely genuine) just to bring it in and find out it was not.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2019 10:32AM

@momo1234 said:
    @MrHockey interesting point. I am just wary of the quick opinion, but I suppose the piece of mind is worth then $10. I just wonder if anyone ever got a LG (likely genuine) just to bring it in and find out it was not.

Yes, mistakes can happen, but they're pretty rare.

The wave is a sign of lack of speed, which is consistent with someone who is intentionally trying to form a shape. In case that wasn't clear.

• Options

thanks for explaining. but what are you referring to the "wave"..you mean the loop in the first "G" i wouldn't even know to look for that...

• Options

in the bottom half of the first G in dimaGgio

the letter is not fluid. it has a wobble, a divot, a bend, a spot where there is a wave.

that is possible in a legit auto - anything is, as others have mentioned, no 2 are exactly the same - but is a red flag.

• Options

got it. also the spacing of the 2 g's is a good point