Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend recently purchased a book from Amazon entitled 56: Joe DiMaggio and the last magic number in sports. I have been wanting to start a Joe DiMaggio collection for a while, so it got me to thinking, can this record be broken, or will it stand forever? Personally, I don't think it will be broken in my lifetime. I have always been fascinated by this record. Pete Rose, or as I like to call him, "Chuck hustle", came close in 1978 with a 44 game hitting streak, but fell short. It's a fascinating record. Simply fascinating.

Comments

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I think with much of today's emphasis on OBP and homerun launch angles, that record is safe for now. Guys are either swinging for the fence, which doesnt hold up over 2 months or drawing walks to increase their OBP, to increase their OPS, to increase their WAR, to increase their $$$ and on and on.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2019 7:16PM

I would love to be watching if it ever did get broken. Can you just imagine how electric that moment would be. I remember when Chuck broke Ty Cobb's all time hits record. The standing ovation he got from the crowd lasted forever.

• Options

I am definately going to buy a copy of this book. I have to know this whole story.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love reading about the history of baseball

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.