Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this the holy grail of sports cards?

Recently got back into collecting cards after 20 years.... So I was quite surprised to see this card being sold as the holy grail of cards.
Am I out of touch? I thought Horace Wagner was the holy grail? What do you all think?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338461489&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-topps-311-mickey-mantle-signed-holy-grail-psa-5-5-highest-graded-example/254120893003?hash=item3b2ac91a4b:g:59AAAOSwLKhcFJZT

Comments

• Options
    Walt_AltmenWalt_Altmen Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I’ve seen holier! B)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 4:29PM

Every collector has their own holy grail in my opinion.

• Options
    Desert_Ice_SportsDesert_Ice_Sports Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Every card is the 'Holy Grail' to the person who's selling it.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options

Henie Wagner?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

why does the auto that is part of the card not look like his handwritten auto?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 5:31PM

@coinspacks said:
    why does the auto that is part of the card not look like his handwritten auto?

His autograph early in his career was much different than the one that’s more familiar to most. It took him awhile to evolve into his eventual standard signature. Here’s one my Father got from him in the early 50s.

Jim

• Options

Checking the pop report it looks like 2 are graded 5.5. Since the grail has not been found, I'd wager a no

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my favorite "not" Holy Grail

Mike
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

⬆This is the holy grail of cards.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ that is the single greatest baseball card of all time.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    Recently got back into collecting cards after 20 years.... So I was quite surprised to see this card being sold as the holy grail of cards.
    Am I out of touch? I thought Horace Wagner was the holy grail? What do you all think?

Perhaps maybe they meant it as the rookie card in general being the holy grail of cards; not that particular one? 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Pre war, Wagner. Post war, Mantle....or maybe Joe Shlabotnik

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob "The Hammer" Hamelin. 1994 A.L. Rookie of the Year, and Kansas City fan favorite right up until the strike. I think the league figured out how to pitch to him in 1995, as well as a multitude injuries, and he was done after just a few seasons. I do remember them selling a popular related item in the gift shops there at the stadium. At the time, the Atlanta Braves were the popular team, and their foam tomahawks were big sellers. The Royals sold similar looking foam hammers that the fans would wave when Bob came to bat.

I hadn't thought about this player in years, and likely hadn't thought about those foam hammers in almost 25 years.

• Options

@Rofles said:

@Skrill90 said:

Perhaps maybe they meant it as the rookie card in general being the holy grail of cards; not that particular one? 🤷‍♂️

Well it’s not his rookie card, so I doubt he meant that. We could always ask him?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the term “holy grail” is overused, this is the highest graded (tied) example of an autographed copy of the most sought after card of the last 100 years.

Doesn’t interest me in the least, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a very significant card.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Would love to see the other 5.5!

• Options

Looks like it says “garbage pail” not “holy grail”, btw.

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@Walt_Altmen said:

Yeah I'm confused. Does not says holy grail but garbage pail. Keyword spamming GPK?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the feeling the seller saw the thread and is having some fun.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

⬆This is the holy grail of cards.

Dude looks like he sold me some mulch at the local Lowe's garden center a couple weekends ago.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2019 1:30PM

@RyansRust said:

@Walt_Altmen said:

Yeah I'm confused. Does not says holy grail but garbage pail. Keyword spamming GPK?

What a Nasty Nick! :D

Edited. By the looks of the title now, I’d say that is exactly what has been done!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like something Evan M would do.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely in on the thread - the title as of 10PM: 1996 pinnacle #289 bob “the holy whale” hamelin w/ psa 5.5 mantle freebie! bvg?

Jim

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

it's bob's card. he's on the forum here.

and, yeah, it is basically the holy grail.